Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Marmite - Love it or hate it?

lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2007 8:42AM

Quote:Guess it's an aquired taste tho

Yup only really appreciated by a truly sophisticated palette ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
12 Jul 2007 8:46AM
Or, more accurately, one roughened by years of abuse... Wink
_Helena_ 7 596 1 United States
12 Jul 2007 10:00AM
I'll say. You'd have to be pretty hardcore to eat something that smells like sweaty feet. Smile
bill777 e2
11 164 1 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2007 10:05AM
Well, for one thing, there is never such a thing as too much Marmite on anything. Especially toast or cheese and Marmite sandwiches, but also crackers or even dipped celery. The only difficulty I've had with it is finding the perfect wine accompaniment.

Right, that's lunch sorted!!

Bill
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
12 Jul 2007 10:07AM
Love my Marmite soldiers. Smile
admiles 8 241 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2007 10:16AM
Explain this to me:

My two year old daughter loves the stuff but both her parents and all her grand-parents hate it! Surely all those passed down genes would dictate she hated it too?

My stomach heaves just spreading it on toast for her. What I haven't been able for find out is who gave her the bloody stuff in the first place.........vengence will sweet!!

Anthony
Campaign for the banishment of Marmite
P.O.Box 100
London W1
Kilcaff 10 46 England
12 Jul 2007 10:43AM
Myth or fact?
My cousin used to work in Wards Brewery, now since marmite is malt extract they often used malt from the tuns in the breweries. Those tuns got quite hot and the toilets were far away so workers would relive themselves on the malt, "hey, it's getting scraped out anyway so what the hell!", this went into trucks and on to various places including marmite.

So, marmite could be made with slightly tangy malt then you'd really appreciate.

Fact or myth? Probably myth but is it worth the risk...? It also explains a few things about the stuff... ;o)
mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2007 10:58AM
LOVE IT!!!!!!! with cheese on toast Grin or on its tod.
SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
12 Jul 2007 12:01PM
OOoooo Marmite. Just a scraping on hot thick buttered toast with a large cup of hot sweet tea. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Kilcaff I'd guess that's myth, going by the food hygiene legislation Wink hehe ( I hope ... )

OOooo yes and a little bit on cheese on toast .. slaver

drool 8-]
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
12 Jul 2007 12:06PM
Bovril everytime for me and it has to be the real beef stuff not that disgusting marmite wannabe that was out for awhile when health and safety said real bovril was no longer safe.

thickly spread on toast or sandwiches - my grandfather was a long time consumer of Bovril so i feel i am continuing his legacy of munchies =)
Cephus 10 2.2k England
12 Jul 2007 12:17PM

Quote:Bovril everytime for me

Nah! my click goes to Marmite
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
12 Jul 2007 12:23PM
marmite vs Bovril....

thought they are the same thing, just branding..
Cephus 10 2.2k England
12 Jul 2007 12:30PM

Quote:thought they are the same thing, just branding..

Marmite is made from yeast extract, Bovril is made from liquidised cows.
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
12 Jul 2007 12:30PM
for awhile bovril became the same as marmite but all of the devoted beef eating fans got it changed back to beef.

i do still prefer chocolate spread and peanut butter together in my french bread roll, sandwich or on toast mmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm =)
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
12 Jul 2007 12:32PM
liquidised cows mmm makes me want to reach for the bovril pot right now - is this why sometimes when i turn the lid a little tight when closing it i hear a faint sound of a mooooooooooooo?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.