Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Marmite - Love it or hate it?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 8:42 AM

Quote: Guess it's an aquired taste tho

Yup only really appreciated by a truly sophisticated palette ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Jul 2007 - 8:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 8:46 AM

Or, more accurately, one roughened by years of abuse... Wink

_Helena_
_Helena_  7596 forum posts United States1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 10:00 AM

I'll say. You'd have to be pretty hardcore to eat something that smells like sweaty feet. Smile

bill777
bill777 e2 Member 11163 forum postsbill777 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 10:05 AM

Well, for one thing, there is never such a thing as too much Marmite on anything. Especially toast or cheese and Marmite sandwiches, but also crackers or even dipped celery. The only difficulty I've had with it is finding the perfect wine accompaniment.

Right, that's lunch sorted!!

Bill

Kris_Dutson
12 Jul 2007 - 10:07 AM

Love my Marmite soldiers. Smile

admiles
admiles  8241 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Jul 2007 - 10:16 AM

Explain this to me:

My two year old daughter loves the stuff but both her parents and all her grand-parents hate it! Surely all those passed down genes would dictate she hated it too?

My stomach heaves just spreading it on toast for her. What I haven't been able for find out is who gave her the bloody stuff in the first place.........vengence will sweet!!

Anthony
Campaign for the banishment of Marmite
P.O.Box 100
London W1

Kilcaff
Kilcaff  946 forum posts England
12 Jul 2007 - 10:43 AM

Myth or fact?
My cousin used to work in Wards Brewery, now since marmite is malt extract they often used malt from the tuns in the breweries. Those tuns got quite hot and the toilets were far away so workers would relive themselves on the malt, "hey, it's getting scraped out anyway so what the hell!", this went into trucks and on to various places including marmite.

So, marmite could be made with slightly tangy malt then you'd really appreciate.

Fact or myth? Probably myth but is it worth the risk...? It also explains a few things about the stuff... ;o)

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 10:58 AM

LOVE IT!!!!!!! with cheese on toast Grin or on its tod.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 12:01 PM

OOoooo Marmite. Just a scraping on hot thick buttered toast with a large cup of hot sweet tea. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Kilcaff I'd guess that's myth, going by the food hygiene legislation Wink hehe ( I hope ... )

OOooo yes and a little bit on cheese on toast .. slaver

drool 8-]

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 12:06 PM

Bovril everytime for me and it has to be the real beef stuff not that disgusting marmite wannabe that was out for awhile when health and safety said real bovril was no longer safe.

thickly spread on toast or sandwiches - my grandfather was a long time consumer of Bovril so i feel i am continuing his legacy of munchies =)

Cephus
Cephus  92128 forum posts England
12 Jul 2007 - 12:17 PM

Quote: Bovril everytime for me

Nah! my click goes to Marmite

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 12:23 PM

marmite vs Bovril....

thought they are the same thing, just branding..

Cephus
Cephus  92128 forum posts England
12 Jul 2007 - 12:30 PM

Quote: thought they are the same thing, just branding..

Marmite is made from yeast extract, Bovril is made from liquidised cows.

Morpyre
Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2007 - 12:30 PM

for awhile bovril became the same as marmite but all of the devoted beef eating fans got it changed back to beef.

i do still prefer chocolate spread and peanut butter together in my french bread roll, sandwich or on toast mmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm =)

Morpyre
12 Jul 2007 - 12:32 PM

liquidised cows mmm makes me want to reach for the bovril pot right now - is this why sometimes when i turn the lid a little tight when closing it i hear a faint sound of a mooooooooooooo?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.