Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

masterpiece yes or no

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:00 PM

Quote: If Meatloaf had sustained their success in the long term,

I think that is the key and would fix the artist in people's minds and would give easier recall when discussing music of the 70s. But the OP was about a specific album.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Apr 2013 - 12:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geoffphoto
17 Apr 2013 - 12:06 PM

Bat Out of Hell - simply the worst rock album (if you can call it that ) EVER !!!

I hate it !!!

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72193 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 12:58 PM

One specific album is less significant because long term success fixes the artist in people's minds and would give easier recall when discussing music of the 70s.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73840 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 1:09 PM

Its one of the Albums from the late 70s, early 80's that bring back great memoriers, I think Paradise by the Dashboard light, and 2 out of 3 were better than the title track. Superb artwork on the cover too. I saw him at Sheffied around 1990, and he was great. Just because you don't like a particular artist, doesn't mean that they arn't classics.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 7:33 PM

Quote: Mike, anyone can write stuff for wiki - it doesn't mean much imo

Anyone can write anything ...and have it published in any form they care to....so how do you verify any information ?

Find the record co or publishing co website - that's what I would quote from.

Thats nots not quite what i meant, but never mind.....Have you ever actually listened to Bat out of Hell ?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022893 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 7:46 PM

Dr Feelgood 1974 and Down on the Jetty. Classic album, no arguments but ask the 'man on the street' and he'll say "Down on where?"

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72193 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2013 - 8:05 PM

Quote: Mike, anyone can write stuff for wiki - it doesn't mean much imo

Anyone can write anything ...and have it published in any form they care to....so how do you verify any information ?

Find the record co or publishing co website - that's what I would quote from.

Thats nots not quite what i meant, but never mind.....Have you ever actually listened to Bat out of Hell ?

Yes, it was played frequently in the car at high volume.
I judge music to a degree by how long I will listen to it before getting bored with it - like not noticing any of the more subtle nuances after the initial impact has work off a bit.
Bat out of hell just didn't last that long.

arhb
17 Apr 2013 - 8:09 PM

Quote: Dr Feelgood 1974 and Down on the Jetty. Classic album, no arguments but ask the 'man on the street' and he'll say "Down on where?"

I didn't see Feelgood, but I saw Wilco Johnson in 1991 in a small venue in London. He had great rhythm guitar style.

youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 121010 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
17 Apr 2013 - 8:41 PM

anybody out there remember down in the bunker steve gibbons band or get it by dave edmunds

mikehit
18 Apr 2013 - 9:03 AM

Quote: Yes, it was played frequently in the car at high volume.
I judge music to a degree by how long I will listen to it before getting bored with it - like not noticing any of the more subtle nuances after the initial impact has work off a bit.

Nor does 'kind of blue' for me but it is undoubtedly one of the towering classics of jazz music. Whether I like it or not does not change the fact.

arhb
18 Apr 2013 - 11:49 AM

Quote: Yes, it was played frequently in the car at high volume.

Nor does 'kind of blue' for me but it is undoubtedly one of the towering classics of jazz music. Whether I like it or not does not change the fact.

lol
Mike, what you've just quoted has nothing to do with my views on what makes a track or an LP a masterpiece.

HuddersfieldHil
HuddersfieldHil e2 Member 1HuddersfieldHil vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 5:14 PM

Bat out of Hell was one Hell of an Album and stands the test of time just like Rumours Fleetwood Mac and Bridge over Troubled Water S&G oh and Imagine John Lennon SmileSmile That must make them masterpieces of the music world.

Last Modified By HuddersfieldHil at 19 Apr 2013 - 5:15 PM
mikehit
19 Apr 2013 - 5:28 PM

Quote:

lol
Mike, what you've just quoted has nothing to do with my views on what makes a track or an LP a masterpiece.

From what you have posted so far, it seems that whether BooH is a masterpiece seems to be whether (a) you like it or not and (b) whether the artist had more than one good album. My point was that they are not (necessarily) related.
It was definitely a (the!) Jim Steinman/Meat Loaf masterpiece, whether that makes it a masterpiece in rock terms I suppose depends on how you define 'masterpiece'. It was certainly a monumental album as sales figures will testify, and at the time it was landmark in its style.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
19 Apr 2013 - 6:47 PM

Masterpiece?

They were good at knowing what it took, at understanding and capturing an audience, THE principal ingredient being the steady, slow, disciplined tempo. Constant, repetitive, relentless. Then the ramped up voice to bind it all into a complete package. Yes, I'm a fan and will always salute this band's ability to keep it simple and get it right.

arhb
19 Apr 2013 - 7:20 PM

Whether I like it or not as a masterpiece is neither here nor there - that's just personal taste.
The point about the relevance of having limited success with more than one album, and its association with being a masterpiece, is a general observation on human psychology.

Maybe my issue is the way that tems like masterpiece, icon, legend etc are banded around in such a willy-nilly fashion, that they have had their true meaning diluted.
As for the 'landmark' style of the track and album, they came at the end of a progressive rock era, which encompassed all manor of classical and operatic musical influence,
and all that I feel Steinman did was to use a mix of 70's Springsteen and Rush (denied)influences, then rebadge it as his own,
so landmark only in mainstream terms.
I only just found out that the single only reached No. 15 in the UK, which surprised me....... for a masterpiece Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.