Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Match colour when photographing products

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
dg2000r
dg2000r  1031 forum posts
3 Jul 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi

I've been tasked with photographing my wife's knitted hats and bags for her online shop here, and I'm having a nightmare trying to get the colours to even vaguely match the real things. I'm fairly handy with Photoshop, so I can do colour corrections there, but I'm struggling because my original photos are so bad!

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to go about this? - What lighting works best, how should I be setting the white balance and any other camera settings that may help?

Many thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Jul 2013 - 11:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

llareggub
llareggub  4684 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jul 2013 - 12:12 PM

If you are going to be doing this regularly get a colorchecker passport (google it), it will create a profile for your image to click on in ACR, relatively simple to do and gives spot on results Smile

AlanTW
AlanTW  11342 forum posts
3 Jul 2013 - 12:59 PM

I faced a similar problem photographing my wife's embroidery work. I was lucky and found that simply getting the white balance correct with a Whibal card did the trick.

Alan

thewilliam
3 Jul 2013 - 1:05 PM

Get a grey card and include it in the first shot taken in each lighting setup. Then use this to correct the colour in Lightroom.

Bear in mind that intense colours will never reproduce well if you're using sRGB colour space. You'll need the larger gamut of Adobe RGB.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 3 Jul 2013 - 1:07 PM
AlanPerkins
3 Jul 2013 - 1:12 PM

Another vote for Colorchecker Passport.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022919 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 1:54 PM

That kind of product is best shot in a light tent, whether home made or Something along these lines..

There's no need for expensive lighting - you could for instance get some cheap halogen desk lights for small items like yours. With a bit of practice you'll get identically lit images over and over again, week in week out.

As said - get a grey card or a color checker and take a shot of that as your first job of the day.

Shooting in sRGB won't make any discernible difference and you're converting your shots into sRGB for the web pages anyway. In fact shooting in a smaller color space can often help with matching. I shot color critical products for 20 years and apart from the fact that the products wouldn't fit in a light
tent, the procedure is the same.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Dave_Canon
3 Jul 2013 - 2:02 PM

I use a Colour Checker Passport (CCP). I have produced a bespoke calibration profile for the Raw conversion (the profile can be used by Elements, Photoshop and Lightroom). I also use the CCP to obtain an accurate White Balance by photographing it in the light used for the photoshoot then using the neutral grey on the capture CCP shot as the target for the WB sampling.

You can only use a calibrated profile if you are shooting in Raw. If you are using JPEG, check which Style you are using and the choice will make a lot of difference to the colour. If shooting Raw, you also need to check the Camera Calibration tab in ACR, Elements or LR to see which style has been selected.

Generally I would say that the most important issue is to ensure that you are using the correct style and that you measure and accurately set the WB. While full calibration will certainly improve colour accuracy, I suspect few photographers go this far.

Dave

dg2000r
3 Jul 2013 - 2:22 PM

Thanks for the advice guys - that's given me a good few things to try out Smile

lemmy
lemmy  71838 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jul 2013 - 2:33 PM

The pix on the page look very good to me. Remember that you can do what you like to get colours accurate on your monitors(s) but they will often look quite different on someone else's. I have a calibrated work flow so any faults would tend to shown up but as I say, they look good. You are never going to get accurate colour matching as such when you are looking at the real hats via reflected light and the images of them via transmitted light. Some people turn their monitors right up for 'wow' effect. Some prefer them dim to rest their eyes.

One query, the mouse roll-over affects the tones of the hats and bags. Which one is intended to be accurate, the somewhat pastel one shown normally or the darker, more pleasing one when the mouse is over the hat/ bag?

dg2000r
3 Jul 2013 - 2:40 PM

Thanks Lemmy - Yes, the mouse rollover thing doesn't help. The true image is the rolled-over one, so the 'theme' that the shop uses automatically lightens them up for the pre-rollover state. As soon as I figure out how to do it I'll be getting rid of that!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2013 - 7:04 PM

Quote: As said - get a grey card or a color checker and take a shot of that as your first job of the day

Or pic up a standard macbeth card(about 10) and download the free Adobe DNG camera profile Editor.

dg2000r
19 Feb 2014 - 1:32 PM

I just wanted to revisit this page to say thanks for all of the advice when I originally posted the question. Since then I've got a colour card and light tent and done a good bit of testing/playing with RAW, which I hadn't really used before. As a result our little shop now has some product pictures that I'm actually proud of, that actually look like the real things! They now look like this instead of this

Thanks ephotozine!!

Smile

lemmy
lemmy  71838 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Feb 2014 - 2:27 PM

That looks really good now.What a difference!

Only one thing I'd like to see, if the thumbnails actually included the whole enlarged pic instead of a slight crop of it. It would just look a little slicker. Not crucial, though.

Jestertheclown
19 Feb 2014 - 2:38 PM

Hi David,
Quite a difference then.
I downloaded one of the images from your website and opened it in CS6 and I see that it's saved in untagged RGB. I converted it to sRGB, since it's to be displayed on the web and applied an 'S' curve, which lifted it quite a bit.
I'm not sure whether or not you'd consider it to be an improvement and I don't know how well the colours now resemble the real thing but if you're interested I'll gladly post it on here or send it to you somehow.
Hope this helps.
Bren.

dg2000r
20 Feb 2014 - 9:24 AM

Thanks Bren - I'd definitely be interested in seeing that. I must admit RGB, sRGB, Adobe RGB etc is still all a mystery to me - that's something I need to do some reading up on! I'll send you an email address now.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.