Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

max. temperature of LED bulbs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sparf
    sparf  2
    10 Apr 2012 - 6:06 PM

I really like to build my own stage stuff for gigs. Years ago I started patching wooden panels to a mixer desk. I actually like this easy way to get customized equipment that's why I decided to get my own handmade lighting hardware.

That's my plan:

I get some of these LED bulbs (see details) - about 50 lamps. They will be embedded in light wood with reflecting foil. That's the point when I put them together electronically to control each LED individually.

Question:

Well, there will be 50 LEDs shining on full power... What do you think about the heat? Will the temperature be scaring (keep in mind that there will be wood and plastic foil)?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Apr 2012 - 6:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    10 Apr 2012 - 6:31 PM

On those bulbs? No. They are very efficient units.

Is that the best solution? No.
    Reflective foil? Are you joking?

Get less but more powerful LEDs - which would require proper heatsinking and metal mounts.

NaturesHaven
    NaturesHaven e2 Member 3253 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Apr 2012 - 6:34 PM

LED lights emit very little heat..............we've just changed to LED lights, they save you a fortune in energy..........not cheap but worth the investment........they are 4.9 watts each and they are incredibly powerful, they are also cold to the touch so no chance of being burnt.

Hope this may help you in some way.

Cheers

Julia

User_Removed
    10 Apr 2012 - 7:04 PM

Quote: LED lights emit very little heat

is not awfully true. The average LED converts power to light/heat with about 70% being heat, you are just running very very very low power LED's.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 10 Apr 2012 - 7:05 PM
    monkeygrip
    11 Apr 2012 - 3:17 AM

Powerful LEDs get extremely hot infact it is the main reason the technology has not replaced household lighting yet.

GU10 and MR16 which are the usual halogen type down lights are the first to be converted but still fall short in lumens (total light output measurement) even though the entire housing is a heat sink.

If you have space to dissipate the heat in a heat sink then there are LEDs available with outputs over 1000 lumens that is very bright the difficulty comes when you try to control the light it is a diode and has to be controlled by a specific LED dimmers or it will just switch on and off.

I did a promo video for Texas Instrumnets last year showing how to dim LEDs with a zigby wireless controller It can be done but it is not as straight forward as you may think. Oh and the powerful LEDs will be expensive.

User_Removed
    11 Apr 2012 - 4:12 AM

Quote: be controlled by a specific LED dimmers or it will just switch on and off.

Haha really? I knew most LED's have flickering issues but that's kinda cool!

BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Apr 2012 - 6:58 AM

you need to get what i have Wink although they get so hot they might take the skin off your fingers.... Tongue

monkeygrip
    11 Apr 2012 - 10:09 AM

Quote: be controlled by a specific LED dimmers or it will just switch on and off.

Haha really? I knew most LED's have flickering issues but that's kinda cool!

Sorry when I said on and off I meant on or off in other words you can't dim LEDs without specific control electronics.

Also you have to be specific about colour banding of white light and the more specific you re the more expensive it gets although you could opt for the Chinese equivalent and have a lovely brown LED light after just 10 hours Winkhahahaha.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.