Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Maximum file size for uploading?

Bianca22 2 16
22 Oct 2012 12:31PM
Hi,
Could you tell me what the maximum file size is for uploading photos?

Thanks Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

emmaK22 e2
3 55 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2012 12:54PM
Hi Bianca,

The photo will automatically be re sized by the site when you upload it Smile
Bianca22 2 16
22 Oct 2012 1:15PM
Thank you. Smile
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
22 Oct 2012 1:21PM
Just out of interest, I've just tried to find a page on here with the answer to the original question on it.
And I can't.
Obviously, I know the answer but if I can't find it, unless I'm missing something, how will anyone else?

By the way, I'd re-size the images myself if I was you. You'll almost certainly need to apply some sharpening, once you've done it and before you upload them.
600px. on the longest side for non-paying members and 1,000px for those that have paid for membership.
Alan_Baseley e2
13 323 2 England
23 Oct 2012 9:39AM

Quote:Hi Bianca,

The photo will automatically be re sized by the site when you upload it Smile

When you are uploading versions it is quite common to get a warning that the file size is too big and the file won't upload. What's the maximum size on a version upload?
23 Oct 2012 9:43AM
I upload versions/variants at the same size as the originals.
Alan_Baseley e2
13 323 2 England
23 Oct 2012 10:02AM

Quote:I upload versions/variants at the same size as the originals.

But you re-size them don't you?
23 Oct 2012 10:06AM

Quote:But you re-size them don't you?

Sorry, yes.
What I meant was that I upload versions at the same size as my original upload, ie. 1000px. on the longest side.
With the exception of mods. in the CG, I'd never leave it to the site to re-size an image.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Oct 2012 10:16AM
Are we sure we are all talking about the same thing here?

OP asked about file size. Responses seem to be about image size.

When I am exporting Jpegs from Lightroom with a view to posting them on ePz, I tend to set a maximum file size of 500Kb and that seems to work OK. (I also constrain the image size by setting a maximum dimension of the longest side of 1000 pixels.) Also, of possible interest to the OP, I export them in sRGB.
23 Oct 2012 1:07PM
You're right LF.
I never worry about the file size, I'm not even sure what it is although I know there is a limit. It's presumably listed on the page that I couldn't find several posts ago.
I find that resizing the image always keeps them within the required constraints for me.
23 Oct 2012 1:25PM
There is no need to resize or scale your photos down before you upload to ePHOTOzine. We will automatically create the corrected sizes for your photo and when we do, we will apply a unsharp mask to ensure the sharpness stays intact.

I would strongly urge not to scale your photos down before uploading as we have some amazing future upgrades which I guarantee you are going to want to use and they rely on having high-res versions of you photo. Without them, you are going to have alot of work in front of you to get things running....i've said too much now, so im going to shut up and get back to the lab.
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
23 Oct 2012 1:27PM

Quote:we will apply a unsharp mask to ensure the sharpness stays intact.

But what if we dont want the sharpening to be applied to all the image David?
Alan_Baseley e2
13 323 2 England
23 Oct 2012 1:29PM
The original question was about file size. I no longer resize my images before uploading, but I have noticed that whilst there doesn't appear to be a limit to the file size when uploading to the gallery, there is a limit to the file size when uploading versions/variants. It would be nice to know what that limit is.
Alan_Baseley e2
13 323 2 England
23 Oct 2012 1:32PM

Quote:I would strongly urge not to scale your photos down before uploading as we have some amazing future upgrades which I guarantee you are going to want to use and they rely on having high-res versions of you photo. Without them, you are going to have alot of work in front of you to get things running....i've said too much now, so im going to shut up and get back to the lab.

Pete has hinted at something along these lines in past forum threads, that's when I stopped resizing my images
23 Oct 2012 1:34PM

Quote:But what if we dont want the sharpening to be applied to all the image David?

Applying an unsharp mask after scaling down isn't an unusual technique. In fact, Photoshop does it automatically. We have setup the unsharp mask to work in the exact same way these popular image editing packages work to ensure photos don't become more blurry due to resizing. We aren't over sharpening or trying to sharpen things that aren't, we are just compensating for the blurriness that occurs when photos are resized (just like in Photoshop).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.