Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Maximum file size for uploading?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 3:03 PM

Quote: Can't believe epz does this blindly.

Lol no we don't - I sit here adjusting sharpness on every photo uploaded. It's great fun Wink

Last Modified By Pete at 23 Oct 2012 - 3:04 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Oct 2012 - 3:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 3:04 PM

If your photo is already being resized to 1000px, you are bypassing our unsharp mask which fixes the slight blurryness that occurs when photos are re-sized down.

Literally, its such a small amount of sharpening that you would only notice it if you saw the 'raw' resized version prior to unsharp masking.

What led us to applying this unsharp mask? One day we were comparing a photo Pete had uploaded to ePHOTOzine to his original photo and noticed that the one on the site seems blurry. So we investigated and noticed it only happened when photos were being resized. So we tried resizing in Photoshop and didn't get the same problem. We also compared our resizing quality to other sites and decided something needed to be done about it. So off we went, and a few days later we came up with a Photoshop quality resizing by introducing this unsharp mask.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 23 Oct 2012 - 3:08 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 3:07 PM

Quote: If your photo is already being resized to 1000px....

So I guess the same applies for 600px ?

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 3:08 PM

Yes, if you have already downsized it to 600px. If you upload a 1000px, we will resize and unsharp mask the 600px.

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 3:08 PM

As I understand it, EPZ only apply sharpening to uploads that they downsize and as you downsize before uploading, I assume that they don't apply any sharpening to your shots and therefore I don't see how it affects your images.
It would be interesting if David would confirm this.
PS the comment wasn't mean't to be snide

davidburleson
23 Oct 2012 - 3:12 PM

thats correct. Only resized sizes have the unsharp mask applied.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 23 Oct 2012 - 3:12 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.