Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Maxxis tyres

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

collywobles
10 Jan 2013 - 4:39 PM

Fit non original equip at your peril. Its a risk not worth taking.

....... and if you can afford a Jag XF then what the f*** are you messin about with names you have never heard of.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jan 2013 - 4:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46103 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 4:52 PM

decibels are logarithmic, our hearing is not. So although 3db is twice the signal power, how we hear it depends on where it is on our response curve and the frequencies you are looking at: in hifi as little as 1dB can cause an increase in perception of sound quality but it very complicated.

samueldilworth
10 Jan 2013 - 4:54 PM

Iím not recommending the company, but Maxxis is hardly a name no-oneís ever heard of. Wikipedia says itís the tenth largest tyre company in the world. Like JohnParminter, I had them on my bicycle. They have a UK website (with the new EU labels, by the way).

I should add one thing to my previous post. Rolling resistance isnít the whole story on fuel economy. At high speeds, rolling resistance is surprisingly unimportant. At 70 miles per hour the great majority of the carís power output is spent pushing huge quantities of air out of the way and dragging massive swirling eddies behind it. So even if a tyre has half the rolling resistance of another, it wouldnít halve (or even remotely approach halving) your carís fuel consumption.

Possibly an obvious point, but thought Iíd mention it.

dcash29
dcash29  81887 forum posts England
10 Jan 2013 - 4:55 PM

HI Ian

I recently looked into purchasing tyres and Maxxis didn't get much of a write up, I've had the Continentals Contact 2 and Bridgestone Turanza E300 and found both to be ok. The Bridgestone seem harder wear well but not good in the snow, anyway this time I chose Uniroyal Rain Experts. Softer thus may not last as long but they are quieter than Bridgestone and seem to have good grip for snow rather than the smooth face of a lot of tyres these days.

Dave

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 6:37 PM

Thanks for all the responses and a big thanks for the interesting explanation of stickiness vs fuel economy.

I've been into the Jag garage today and spotted that the new XFs are being shod with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT. They are a better price than the Goodyear and seem to perform at least as well.

In answer to the question of why I am researching tyres. Just because I can afford to run an XF doesn't mean I want to throw money around without knowing I am getting value for it. My car is 3 years old and in the last 3 years tyre technology has changed, so what was the best then may no longer be the best. Some years ago I conducted a similar exercise when looking for new tyres for an MX5. The result was that I found Hankook, who were not well known in the UK. They were half the price of the 'recommended' tyre and performed absolutely superbly.

Maybe the reason I can afford the Jag is because I always research my purchases, especially large ones. Wink

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 6:46 PM

Quote:

Maybe the reason I can afford the Jag is because I always research my purchases, especially large ones. Wink

That'll be why your driving about in a Ford with a Jag BadgeTongue

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 7:13 PM

Hi Ian not used the dunlops SPs on a Jag, but I found the wear rate pretty high on one car. I would not worry about OE fit being the only choice, I had goodyear eagles on one car and they were a disaster in terms of grip, changing away from them helped a lot. the dunlops gripped ok. I think you have the right path. For your MX5 if its a MKI have a look at toyo proxes CF1's reasonable price. Hankook tyres are often a good performance price balance like Toyo but as I said I have no experience in a car as large as your Jag.

When you do pick them I assume you are using Black Circle or at least the on-line quickfit service. the drive in prices these days are bad compared to the reserve on-line prices. What size are you trying to get?

digicammad
10 Jan 2013 - 7:53 PM

Quote: That'll be why your driving about in a Ford with a Jag Badge

I take it you haven't driven an XF Smile

Cheers John. Yes I will be using Black Circles or Tyres on the drive. We don't have the MX5 any more, but it certainly loved the Hancooks

digicammad
11 Jan 2013 - 11:00 AM

Sorry John, just spotted you were asking for the size. They are 245/40 R19 98Y.

Still researching and am getting drawn back to the Hankook K117. They seem to give better wet grip and fuel economy than the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT, though they are a bit noisier.

Last Modified By digicammad at 11 Jan 2013 - 11:04 AM
collywobles
11 Jan 2013 - 11:30 AM

Quote: I take it you haven't driven an XF Smile

Correct, Top Gear rated it better than the Merc and BMW's equiv by a long way.

Also dont knock Fords they are made no different nowadays to any cars on the markets. They all use the same materials, methods, suppliers and processes so there is little difference between most makes of similar models - even Kia and Skoda are now competative.

digicammad
11 Jan 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm not knocking Fords, I have owned many in my time and Robbie is currently thoroughly enjoying her Focus CC. As per my smiley, my comment was a light hearted response to your banter. Smile

MichaelMelb_AU
11 Jan 2013 - 10:55 PM

I suggest you go to a reputable tyre shop and talk to the guys. Tyre is the most important part of the car - no jokes about it. Without good tyres steering, power, brakes advantage of a car like Jag mean next to nothing. I would not save a hundred of pounds on the tyres to loose my car in some accident as a result. On other hand, premium quality racing tyres could be an expensive overkill for everyday commute.
Talk to professionals.

digicammad
12 Jan 2013 - 8:07 AM

Thanks Michael. Funnily enough I did exactly that yesterday afternoon. I had narrowed my choices down to the Dunlop as fitted to the new XF or the Hankook K117. According to the new labelling scheme the Hankook is the better tyre at the size I need and the garage confirmed that they are excellent tyres, so those are the ones I have ordered.

They have a class A wet grip rating, which as far as I am concerned is the key factor. The bonus is they also have a much better fuel economy rating.

Ian

digicammad
21 Jan 2013 - 9:07 AM

A final update for those who may be interested. After weighing up all the ratings I went for the Hankook K117, which had better ratings for the correct size wheels than either of the tyres Jaguar use (C for fuel and A for wet grip as opposed to E & B). They were rated a little noisier than the originals but if anything they are slightly quieter, though that may be because they are new.

I got the change to try them out yesterday on a wet roundabout with no traffic around and they stuck very nicely.

So, so far so good.

Thanks again for the opinions and advice.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 10:15 AM

Have to admit, with RWD and very low profile tyres my vehicle is not ideal for these icy conditions.......... on any rubber! Wink That said, I changed back to Falken from Continental (having had Falken in the first place) and am happy that I have reverted. Saved a bit of dosh as well.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.