Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

May I Make a Suggestion?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : time to move on

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
4 Oct 2012 12:18PM
Time to do another one Pete Wink

You know you want to lol

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
4 Oct 2012 1:02PM
Leave the EC's as they are IMHO, I haven't had one in ages, I'm not bitter Wink Cough Wheeze Choke!

Seriously though I feel as time as gone on they have become much more exclusive and more difficult to obtain.....What would be nice from time to time is have a guest editor who has some real kudos, don't get me wrong the current guest editors do a sterling job most of the time.....I'd just like to see perhaps a Celebrity Guest Editor, someone (no disrespect Pete) who really knows his stuff......Charlie Waite, Andy Rouse or someone else along those lines of thought!.....Now that could be interesting once in a while!

Ade
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
4 Oct 2012 1:08PM

Quote:I'd just like to see perhaps a Celebrity Guest Editor, someone (no disrespect Pete) who really knows his stuff......Charlie Waite, Andy Rouse or someone else along those lines of thought!.....Now that could be interesting once in a while!

I sometimes wonder. We've had guests judge competitions and they don't always pick the best quality...but it's always just opinion.
If anyone has connections with Celeb photographers and wants to convince them to spend a week (or it could even be best of the day) looking though the gallery photos, feel free to try Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
4 Oct 2012 1:14PM

Quote:Any thoughts about a reprint of the paperback?

We did consider it at one point, but decided not to

Why not just add it here, i think the cost of printed editions are then met by the customer, less risk.

http://www.magcloud.com

Whether you are creating an event program, work portfolio, organization newsletter, company brochure, product catalog or consumer magazine, MagCloud will distribute a single file as a professionally printed and bound publication, or digitally via a web browser, iPad app or PDF download.

Lol you can even have a yearly annual Smile
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
4 Oct 2012 1:53PM
It's quite expensive to produce a book of our size on products like that. About 50 dollars per copy.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
4 Oct 2012 2:00PM
I'm willing to sell my original mint condition hardback copy for 50 quid! Tongue

Ade
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
4 Oct 2012 2:12PM
I got a pic on there - a thumbnail of a power station

was well chuffed and bought the book Wink
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
4 Oct 2012 2:50PM
I don't classify awards as not worthwhile.

I've never achieved more than a RC myself, and that was a pleasant surprise. We probably have enough photographer/photograph awards at the moment. Are there any other categories for awards which would also be worth striving for? Some forums grade users on how helpful they are with good advice to others, for example...although that rather depends on the people seeking advice being consistent in acknowledging the person who helped them. Perhaps that's the kind of thing StrayCat had in mind.

All in all...I suspect it's a minefield and best avoided.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
4 Oct 2012 3:21PM
Personally speaking I wouldn't mind if the RC's were dropped..........Because I have a lot of free time I do a lot of commenting within the galleries I therefore get a lot of votes back on the work I do. This has in the past been misconstrued by other members as me being a serial clicker, well I can assure folk this simply isn't the case, I just simply vote and comment on the material that interests me the most or particularly catches my eye!

I certainly don't expect folk to click on my work because I may have voted or commented on theirs, unfortunately folk seem to think that this is the done thing, yes I have my favourite photographers and yes over the years I've made a lot of friends because of the comments I make within the galleries. Because of the way the system works I do get a lot of RC's, but I don't take much stall from them and hope that in the future they will be eventually dropped. I suppose I could disable the voting, but like most folk, sometimes I don't always get the time I'd like to make comments. So the voting system for me works as a mechanism to quickly look at a shot and give it a quick nod of approval without feeling the need I to make a comment on it. I know a lot of other members use it in the same manner........So RC's for me at least could be dropped. I also think that anyone of any reasonable intelligence wouldn't be to bothered by it either. Just an opinion of course, although I may well be proved to be quite wrong?

Ade
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
4 Oct 2012 3:38PM
I think you echo the thoughts of many of us Ade. I personally don't like click-for-click culture but do like to keep up with people I've come to know and whos' images I like as well as going through the gallery and finding new work.
Well said. Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
4 Oct 2012 3:58PM

Quote:It's quite expensive to produce a book of our size on products like that. About 50 dollars per copy

Quote:It's quite expensive to produce a book of our size on products like that. About 50 dollars per copy

Yeh about 30 quid, but there are also the various digital options, the pdf version is all ready available through EPz, why not add it here as a PDF as well.

http://www.magcloud.com/learn/digital
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
4 Oct 2012 4:17PM

Quote:I also think that anyone of any reasonable intelligence wouldn't be to bothered by it either. Just an opinion of course, although I may well be proved to be quite wrong?

I don't have strong views one way or the other, although it might be fairer to say that as a simple way to encourage the relatively inexperienced (and perhaps low in confidence) among us, they have merit. Intelligence levels don't really come into it, in my opinion.

Let's hope the thread doesn't deteriorate into another "click clique" argume....err...discussion! Wink
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
4 Oct 2012 4:36PM

Quote:Let's hope the thread doesn't deteriorate into another "click clique" argume....err...discussion!

No, no, as I said it was merely an opinion and you're quite right in saying what you have in regards to inexperience, there is nothing like getting recognition for your work even if it is only a RC.

Ade
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
4 Oct 2012 4:41PM
Sometimes it's a shame when people disable their votes as often I don't have too much time to do commenting and just pop in here on the run, but you can show appreciation with a click nevertheless.

And as for Pete's EPZ photography book, I do like real paper. I just can't read on-line stuff as I find it uncomfortable and I lose interest very quickly. There's nothing like sitting in a comfy chair with a real and interesting paper and ink book.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
4 Oct 2012 5:19PM
I think the RC awards are here to stay, frankly, and I wouldn't want them to disappear as a result of this thread. In the many previous discussions we've had, we have upset many members who don't live in the forum as we do.Smile We sometimes forget that we're but a small minority of the membership, and many of us don't actually use many of the site facillities about which we complain. I believe the majority on here don't ever foresee the day when they might recieve the coveted (ahem) EC, etc., and an RC is about all they ever expect to acheive, and it means something to them when they get one. I would say the majority of members on here will never own more than $1000.00 total in kit, will never photograph a professional model, or even enter a proper studio, let alone hire one, or have a personal tutor to help them acheive greatness on this site. In fact, I'll wager most members don't even know what an EC or HC or whatever, is; not to take anything away from its importance, but how many run of the mill actors see themselves one day winning an Oscar or an Emmy, it's just not in their expectations, and I believe the EC is in the same catagory.