Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

May I Make a Suggestion?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : time to move on

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
5 Oct 2012 5:20PM

Quote:Now we have a little game going called VS, designed for an even smaller portion of the membership

Hang on a minute, the team put a lot of thought into this, its been implemented for every one, you can`t get any farer than this.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
5 Oct 2012 5:55PM
It's an interesting conundrum, but I'd love to know how many folk with the exception on Pete and Chris above which we know about actually trawl throw 'all' the images everyday within the galleries?.....Not very many I bet!

I try to but a lot of it depends on how much time I actually have, of course then when you do manage it and makes votes and comment on folks works, you end up being accused of a click fisher Sad Bit of a no win situation really....Ho hum...

Quote:Come on folks, wake up! While the top 5% of the members have there silly little games and pat each other on the back, 95% of us are stuck with the most flawed and meaningless award system in existence in our chosen hobby on the web!

Simply not the case I can testify to that, I'm probably one of the most prolific photographers on EPZ and I can't remember the last time I had an award........Oh bugger, I just realised, I must be crap Tongue

AdeGrin
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
5 Oct 2012 6:16PM

Quote:how many folk with the exception on Pete and Chris above which we know about actually trawl throw 'all' the images everyday within the galleries?.

I look through those uploaded in the last twenty four hours each evening.
I only open the interesting looking ones though and I almost never leave a comment in the main gallery as there are far too many fragile egos in there.
Also, I never, ever, vote on anything.
So I suppose that it takes me less time than it might take you, Ade.
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
5 Oct 2012 6:55PM

Quote: Come on folks, wake up! While the top 5% of the members have there silly little games and pat each other on the back, 95% of us are stuck with the most flawed and meaningless award system in existence in our chosen hobby on the web!
How do you quantify the top 5%?

Quote:Simply not the case I can testify to that, I'm probably one of the most prolific photographers on EPZ and I can't remember the last time I had an award
Me too. I upload most days and I've only ever had one GEA and a few UAs and I've been at it 4 years. So I'll join your club Ade O. Grin
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
5 Oct 2012 7:03PM

Quote:Simply not the case I can testify to that, I'm probably one of the most prolific photographers on EPZ and I can't remember the last time I had an award

I've told you before, the envelopes you leave are not stuffed with enough cash Wink
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 7:13PM
Used fivers in a brown paper bag under the 2nd bench in the park near EPZ towers if I remember rightly Smile
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 8:54PM
1st, one next to the telephone box Grin
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2012 9:04PM
Damn, I've been leaving envelopes in the wrong place then! Bugger. Grin
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
6 Oct 2012 1:50AM
Ok, I'm back to square one, the toys are gone from the pram, and I'm back in my old moody mood.Smile Had my best day of photography since I can remember today, and wrung out most of the frustration and tension in my body, and I'm enjoying taking pictures. Can't wait for my flash to arrive, it's been shipped. I sure could have used it today.

I've opted out of VS, blocked all the threads that refer to it, blocked anybody that pisses me off, and I'll try not to upset you people if possible. Forget that I ever mentioned awards of any kind, and I'm going to post my photos elsewhere. I give up, after 7 years of trying to influence some kind of fair system that applies to EVERYBODY ON THIS SITE, I have to give up for my health. Management, in this case, has acted worse than any government I've ever known, and never truly addressed the issue. All arguments aside, look at the freaking record. And I see there was another dead end thread started today. It's so damn frustrating, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what the problem with implementing a decent voting system is; we've had men on the moon for crying out loud. Anyway, back to plodding along; sorry if I've upset anyone....again.

Denny
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 7:46AM

Quote:and I'm going to post my photos elsewhere

Sorry to hear that Denny, your photo input on the EM5 thread was much appreciated and very helpful
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
6 Oct 2012 7:48AM
I meant the gallery Brian.
brian1208 e2
11 10.4k 12 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 8:41AM
Oh, my mistake - good Smile
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 9:20AM

Quote:I can't figure out what the problem with implementing a decent voting system is;
Human nature. I don't know of any website with voting anywhere in the world that hasn't run into the same problems epz has. In fact you could often take threads from one website, paste them into another and not know the difference. The complaints and arguments and suggestions are so similar.

The VS thing is different, and probably as good as it gets. Unfortunately it is very much angled as a competition, and from the number of comments, and the threads started and locked, it's very clear that many of us do not regard photography as a competitive sport and do not want to be involved.

The epz team don't deserve being knocked. They sometimes do things that leave me baffled and annoyed, but you really can't please all the people all the time, and hitting the right note with a website seems extraordinarily difficult. I've seen enough websites start up and disappear. This one is doing very well. Really it is.
tomcat e2
9 6.0k 15 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2012 11:13AM
Well said Keith

I whole heartedly agree with all of your statement
macroman 11 15.3k England
8 Oct 2012 2:17PM
I've been following these 'voting' threads on and off for a few days now.
I have been a member for several years and am rather surprised by all the hot air being generated by these threads.

My view is that all this voting nonsense is rather irrelevant.
30 votes for an award is a very low threshold for such a large membership base and is virtually meaningless.
If the awards threshold was higher there would be fewer awards, but they would have more relevance.

Take for instance a picture that gets 30 votes, EPZ has 930,000+ members, if they all viewed that image and only a measly 30 thought it worth the bother of voting that's 0.0032%, not really awe inspiring is it?
Not everyone will view the image, so lets make it more manageable, say 10% view it, (93,000) that
makes it 0.032% still not a significant amount is it?
Lets try again, 1% viewed it (9300) = 0.32 votes. Were getting there! Smile
Try 0.1% viewers (930) = 3.2% voted for it that's more like it! Grin

The answer is to reduce membership to about 1000, seemples!! GrinGrinGrin

In other words this voting nonsense is all smoke and mirrors, so why is everyone getting themselves ln a tizzy about it?

Perhaps Pete could award some cardboard medals, (Muttley in Wacky Racers) or have a downloadable PDF medal file that we could cutout and pin on the wall. Smile

In my opinion the comments are much more relevant, one constructive comment (good or bad) is worth at least 10 votes.
I don't take the votes seriously, but I do take note of any comments.

As for reciprocal voting, if they are so obsessed with (virtual) point scoring, so be it, but it doesn't make their picture any better. Tongue

Well that's my 2p's worth, Bye! Smile