Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

May I Make a Suggestion?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: time to move on
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 3:21 PM

Changing the rank to 100 will indeed reduce the awarded photos, but will make the system look even more flawed as only exceptionally brilliant photos will be able to compete with really friendly members who have 100s of followers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Oct 2012 - 3:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87281 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 3:40 PM

Quote: Ok, I'm back to square one, the toys are gone from the pram, and I'm back in my old moody mood.Smile Had my best day of photography since I can remember today, and wrung out most of the frustration and tension in my body, and I'm enjoying taking pictures. Can't wait for my flash to arrive, it's been shipped. I sure could have used it today.

I've opted out of VS, blocked all the threads that refer to it, blocked anybody that pisses me off, and I'll try not to upset you people if possible. Forget that I ever mentioned awards of any kind, and I'm going to post my photos elsewhere. I give up, after 7 years of trying to influence some kind of fair system that applies to EVERYBODY ON THIS SITE, I have to give up for my health. Management, in this case, has acted worse than any government I've ever known, and never truly addressed the issue. All arguments aside, look at the freaking record. And I see there was another dead end thread started today. It's so damn frustrating, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what the problem with implementing a decent voting system is; we've had men on the moon for crying out loud. Anyway, back to plodding along; sorry if I've upset anyone....again.

Denny

Phew thank god for that......don't worry , he can't see this.....he's blocked me.Wink

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
8 Oct 2012 - 3:40 PM

I agree Pete, my comment was not meant as a serious solution.

What I find strange is that often a photo has 10-20 votes and only 2-3 comments, while another will have several comments, but few votes.

Some comments are of the 'nice pic' type, and can be ignored, but constructive ones where the poster has given some though to the image, are often useful.

Conversely with votes you have no idea why the person voted, was it a spur of the moment 'nice pic' vote or the result of a considered study of the image.

Would it be possible to combine both elements into a more representative points system as opposed to just votes, which given the percentage of voters is pretty irrelevant.
After all if someone has taken time to post a comment (even nice pic) it must be worth something.

Last Modified By macroman at 8 Oct 2012 - 3:57 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315675 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 6:46 PM

Quote: Some comments are of the 'nice pic' type, and can be ignored

Why should we ignore nice pic comments, does that also mean we should ignore votes without comments, double standards.

macroman
8 Oct 2012 - 7:00 PM

Paul,
Perhaps 'ignored' was the not the best word, I was thinking more of being less useful as a comment/critique, I will be more specific in future! Tongue

If you noticed my last sentence I said,
Quote: After all if someone has taken time to post a comment (even nice pic) it must be worth something.

Anyway, enough hot air has been produced on this subject so I probably won't make any further comments, apart from making a tentative suggestion that votes + comments / unique views expressed as a percentage may make a basis for a rating system.

Last Modified By macroman at 8 Oct 2012 - 7:27 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 7:14 PM

Quote: Anyway, enough hot air has been produced on this subject so I probably won't make any further comments, apart from making a tentative suggestion that votes + comments / unique views expressed as a percentage may make a basis for a rating system.

Thanks Ivan...I have a feeling this is in the mix already as I'm sure it's been suggested a few times over the years but I'll pass to IT and they can double check.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315675 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 7:16 PM

No its not you, its just that fluffy comment are regarded as being bad and no comment at all is seen as being good.

How dumb is that, a votes a vote not matter how you dress it up Smile

Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Oct 2012 - 7:40 PM

Does it mean that a vote and a comment is worth 2 votes. Only half a clique to get to the magic number then Wink

Paul Morgan
8 Oct 2012 - 7:56 PM

I`ve joined my own and band myself from voting Smile

macroman
8 Oct 2012 - 8:08 PM

Oh dear, stop the thread I want to get off. Wink

Not necessarily, votes and comments could have different values, it's just that I believe that comments are worth having, more so than just plain votes, and should be included in the equation somewhere.

Also if based on unique views it will change depending on the number of viewers.
So 40 views/comments from say 1000 viewers, would have a higher 'equivalent votes EVs', than say 100 from 5,000 views.

Bye, again Smile

Last Modified By macroman at 8 Oct 2012 - 8:08 PM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: time to move on