Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

MB-D80 battery pack troubles

maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
12 Jul 2012 8:09AM
i must be thick............ i've been through all the instruction booklets trying to figure out why this (not long bought) battery pack has stopped working for me?
i use it on my D90 with a nikon EN-EL3e and a 'blumax' equivilent battery.............. the combination worked to begin with but now nothing
is it possible the 'blumax' equivilent has somehow damaged the battery pack?
it charged fine and worked fine prior to being used in the pack
and still charges up, my camera battery info still says its 'young'

can battery packs be repaired for less than they cost?!

maggie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 8:25AM
I never got my MBD80 to work with third party batteries, so it may be as simple as that.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
12 Jul 2012 9:10AM
Is it a genuine Nikon MB-D80 or one of the Chinese clones?
maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
12 Jul 2012 9:39AM

Quote:Is it a genuine Nikon MB-D80 or one of the Chinese clones?

i did dread this................ not sure if i would be able to tell the difference
it came in a authentic nikon box and has authentic nikon booklets, has labels/part numbers and even seems to have the same finish just like my D90...........
rhol2 e2
3 311 1 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 9:56AM
Assuming it doesn't work using just the EN3LE alone, it appears to be a fault in the unit. By the way, do both batteries work OK when used dirctly in the camera, it's not quite clear from your original comment..if so that would confirm it I would think.
rhol2 e2
3 311 1 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 10:10AM
Another thought, if you contact Nikon and let them have the serial numbers,they should be able to confirm whether the Grip is genuine.
maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
12 Jul 2012 3:01PM
thanks for replies
both batteries charge and work ok
obviously the EN-EL3e holds its charge for far longer than the 'blumax' equivilent but it always did perform better anyway before i started putting it in a battery pack

is it possible to damage the battery pack unit using non generic batteries?
and does anyone know if its worth or even possible to get it fixed?

hmmmm important lesson learned *only use brand accessories*
rhol2 e2
3 311 1 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 4:14PM
It might be worth checking the contacts inside the grip for dirt or corrosion, even if there is nothing obvious it might be worth cleaning them. You can use a proprietory cleaner, or a baby bud dipped in a little isopropyl alcohol and squeezed almost dry. Some people say that at a pinch you can use vodka instead.

Also, clean the contact pins on the top of the grip and make sure they are dry before re-fitting into the camera.
12 Jul 2012 4:14PM
If the grip came in a genuine Nikon box then it is almost certainly Kosher. The clones are quite openly clones and use brand names like Hahnel.

Nikon are getting quite cute at preventing the use of clone batteries. My wife's P7100 cannot operate with clones that do work in the P7000. But I was not aware that this ringfencing technology had been used in the MB-D80. Maybe the first thing to check is that the grip works OK with two genuine Nikon batteries. You should also have an alternative slide that takes normal Duracells or their like, so check if that works.

And, no. I don't think you could damage the grip by using clone batteries (unless they leaked or something like that)
pudd64 4 13 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 5:36PM
I know it mite sound simple but have you knocked the lock switch

Regards martin
maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
14 Jul 2012 2:27PM
thanks for all replies

sorry for delay in this reply..............

i've got the battery grip working again with one genuine nikon battery! it does not work with the 'clone' blumax battery singularly or in tandem

incidently i recently bought a charger (MH-18a) and it made an audible 'pop' after and hour of being plugged in followed by a smell of burning, now in the process of trying to get my money back........

i'm NEVER buying non- generics off the internet ever again!
14 Jul 2012 2:40PM

Quote:

i'm NEVER buying non- generics off the internet ever again!

I think you mean "generics".

Wink
maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
14 Jul 2012 5:18PM
i mean from the same 'genus' ie the 'family of nikon' hahaa
(maybe not the right way of saying it)

thanks much for the interest, replies and help Smile Smile
maggie9 6 45 2 Scotland
18 Jul 2012 4:25PM
.........if anyone's interested .... i got my money back for the faulty charger (MH-18a) !!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.