Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Me again, weddings again!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Peter23
Peter23  52 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 9:43 PM

Only me again on the same subject again.

Curious I have a a D700 and was wondering what iso's people would push this up to for a wedding!? Getting a sharp image with a little noise is possibly better than getting a blurred shot with no noise?

I asked this one before but I want more opinions on it, where does everyone expose from as a general rule?

Discuss guys!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Sep 2012 - 9:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 10:47 PM

What ever is required to give the shutter speed. If that means 6400 then so be it. But I use Canon.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 11:47 PM

You really really shouldnt be asking that question ! but since you are, a sharp photo wether nosiy or not will be better than a blurred photo which almost always will be useless and binned. You would push your iso as far as the camera and lens can handle to get the shutter speed you need and that takes practise and the learning of a few other tricks ..

scottishphototours

I regularly use ISO 12,800 on the D700 at weddings.

thewilliam
15 Sep 2012 - 10:30 AM

You can remove noise with the appropriate software. You can't remove motion blur in post and VR lenses won't reduce it at the taking stage.

Peter23
15 Sep 2012 - 1:55 PM

Thanks guys, especially scottish photo tours, thats good to know! Pulsar, why shouldn't I be asking that!?

Pete

scottishphototours

thewilliam's answer is spot-on as usual.

Pete, pulsar's point is probably that as a wedding pro selling your services you should be at the top of your game and you should probably know the answers to questions like this!!

Having said that, as thewilliam says, programs like NoiseNinja can help remove noise in your images to an acceptable level. Really depends on the usage in your final product - a noisy 4x2 inch picture in an album looks a lot better than the same pic at 16x12 inches!

Peter23
15 Sep 2012 - 9:11 PM

Every photographer/wedding photographer has to start somewhere, the wedding is costing me more than I'm gaining. So I'm more than happy with how I'm doing it.

Smile

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123851 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2012 - 8:15 PM

a wedding is quite unique within photography subjects, unlike a landscape or a street scene or whatever a wedding is an unrepeatable occasion and if a photographer does less than a competent job on a couple's day it can't be re-enacted; no wonder some epz contributors get aggravated when they are asked yet again basic techniques that should be totally second nature BEFORE you take on the responsibilty of photographing a wedding.

To be sure the industry needs new blood as old stagers leave , die off, become alcoholics, go insane or seek another more secure career however there are loads of avenues you can explore first and the first is get to know your technique so well you can fire on auto pilot; there are courses on wedding photography run by all the major organisations, there are good books on the subject; you can request to accompany a wedding photographer not in your locality ... you will have to travel!

Most weddings go off without a hitch but if the rain or sun pours down, the guests bitch, the bride and groom don't want their pictures taken, the officiants stand on the right hand side of Lucifer, your equipment breaks down etc etc you have to think on your feet and deliver, the show goes on whatever and you cannot fail.

Oh ermm up to 10,000 ISO on a D3S and of course you will know how to remove any noise in your chosen software .... don't you?

G' luck, Peter.

Last Modified By peterjones at 16 Sep 2012 - 8:19 PM
779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Sep 2012 - 11:23 AM

Quote: a wedding is an unrepeatable occasion

All photogrpahy that isn't staged is unrepeatable.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 11:34 AM

Quote: Every photographer/wedding photographer has to start somewhere, the wedding is costing me more than I'm gaining. So I'm more than happy with how I'm doing it.
Smile

Doesn't sound like a good deal for the customer though. What you are saying is that you are using the occasion in order to learn a trade and if the work is sub-standard "well tough as long as I am learning and as long as I am happy."

Why not start as the second man? That is a good way to learn.

keithh
keithh  1022764 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 3:33 PM

Most wedding photographers started with only the scantest of photographic knowledge relating to the problems which they will come across at some weddings.

I know the great collection of EPZ Toggery will tell me otherwise - but it's as true now as it ever was.
Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014720 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 4:15 PM

very true... prior to shooting my first wedding, I was the one in the bar being dragged out, kicking and screaming, pint in hand, for the group shot... and that's ALL I knew about it....

was quite an eye opener shooting the first one - in Rotherham... next to a roundabout...

thewilliam
17 Sep 2012 - 6:00 PM

When I started shooting weddings about 40 years back, I felt that I was well qualified because I had a nice camera and had been to a couple of weddings as a guest.

Peter23
17 Sep 2012 - 7:05 PM

I get really frustrated when people on here try and tell me I shouldn't be doing it because of experience or from what questions I'm asking.

Ultimately I know how to take good potos, the client likes my work and particularly asked me to do there wedding. I'm charging peanuts, if I was qualified and knew it all, I wouldn't charge peanuts.

I just ask for specific advice on here. If I wanted to know if I was making the right decision on photographing a wedding, I'd ask that.

Thanks to those who are helpful which is most of you!

Pete

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.