Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Me again, weddings again!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scottishphototours

That's an ideal scenario then, they want you for your ability that they have already seen demonstrated.

I think the worst scenario is where the couple are being duped by a "photographer" who is showing them images that they were not repsonsible for generating and worse, couldn't replicate if they were asked to. These kinds of people are bad for the industry, bad for business and bad for photography.

Keith's right - there's no such thing as a fully-formed wedding photographer. We all have to start somewhere, grow, develop and learn, and continue to do so. But we should all be aware that if we don't deliver then people get hurt and upset, and in this modern world of ours that can be a very expensive mistake to make for the person involved.

Nowadays, you cannot afford to kid yourself or the couple - you have to be able to deliver to an accetable level for the couple or you're in trouble...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Sep 2012 - 10:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
17 Sep 2012 - 11:15 PM

Quote: I think the worst scenario is where the couple are being duped by a "photographer" who is showing them images that they were not repsonsible for generating and worse, couldn't replicate if they were asked to. These kinds of people are bad for the industry, bad for business and bad for photography.

Nowadays, you cannot afford to kid yourself or the couple - you have to be able to deliver to an accetable level for the couple or you're in trouble...

That's why wedding snappers at the fag-end of the market don't give a physical address and sometimes not even their real name. If the punters only have just a website and a mobile phone number, they won't be able to chase the snapper. He or she can "burn" the old identity and re-emerge.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Sep 2012 - 8:39 AM

To come back to your original question DP review says that ISO 6400 is perfectly usable so for some situations I would say 12800. This was on out-of camera JPEG so if you are using RAW you may be eble to extend this further.
One easy way is to go to take shots your self indoors and see which you find are acceptable.

theorderingone
18 Sep 2012 - 1:34 PM

From my experience with the D700 (not weddings, I might add) it depends on the lighting and on whether colour corrections will be applied to the Raw files after.

If the colour will be used as is, Hi1 (ISO12800) should be perfectly usable (if your exposure is absolutely bang on. If only slight colour casts need correcting, then ISO6400 and for severe colour casts (coloured stage lighting, disco lights etc), ISO4000. Just make sure your blacks are black for each colour channel.

Your threshold for noise will depend on how the photos are presented, and your own personal taste, so I'd recommend taking a shed load of photos in different lighting at high ISOs so you can find your own thresholds before the event. Most folks seem more scared of noise in their images than I.

I hope this helps.

elconguero
19 Sep 2012 - 11:01 PM

Noise schmoize. Try shooting on film at ISO3200 and learn to love the grain..... Wink

PSILVERMAN
10 Jan 2013 - 6:00 AM

Last wedding we did a couple of weeks ago was in the afternoon in a very dark church. I was shooting at ISO 6400 and f2.8 and only just getting hand holdable speeds and that's with VR!
LR does an excellent job of minimising any noise. Using a D700 too!

Last Modified By PSILVERMAN at 10 Jan 2013 - 6:01 AM
KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 10:16 AM

Quote: Only me again on the same subject again.

Curious I have a a D700 and was wondering what iso's people would push this up to for a wedding!? Getting a sharp image with a little noise is possibly better than getting a blurred shot with no noise?

I asked this one before but I want more opinions on it, where does everyone expose from as a general rule?

Discuss guys!!!

Please note the OP is asking ADVICE on a spicific problem, not on wedding Photography in general, why does everyone who asks a question on here get the same Long winded reasons for not doing it when they asked a question, if you dont want to answer that question dont bother.

This site is not just for professional wedding photographers

I for one would like to know the answer and am intrested in that reply given by some, I like the author dont need a lecture just a good answer,For those who want to protect your industry Thats your problem not ours so dont assume we want to hear it.

thewilliam
10 Jan 2013 - 11:31 AM

Many of us tend respond to what's just been said. Because forum threads always seem to drift off-topic, most reponses have nothing to do with the original post.

Peter23
Peter23  62 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 8:22 PM

Well said Kev! So frustrating, it's unreal. I'm a member of a photography group now and they have been AMAZING. I never use this anymore, first time I'v been on in months. Far to many people thinking they're better than they are and being negative for the sake of it! Not enough help. I'v since gone on to photograph two weddings and do a cracking job yet was told by most on here don't even go there! .

KevSB
10 Jan 2013 - 9:00 PM

Thanks Pete, a few months ago reluctantly I agreed to do a wedding for a friend, I did not want to do it and did everything to get out of it but the bottom line was they are good friends. I wanted to ask this same advice but was to scared to ask for this same reason, in the end I private messaged a respected member of this site for advice .
And he said to me that he was also sick of this and he does weddings at a professional level. So much respect to the op for asking, and people should not be afraid to ask and the good advice I received should not have been private, after all this is a photography site

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 7:13 PM

There is a massive amount of knowledge on the internet in the form of books articles and videos which if you had any sense you would have thoroughly read before even attempting a wedding , to come on here asking advice on basics is lazy and if you carry on that way don't expect too much of a career in photography , the quest for knowledge and thirst for learning does not stop at the door of epz.

I wont apologize in the slightest for any seemingly intolerant attitude due to lazy people who find it easier to ask people who have spent years learning their trade and put in the time and effort than go and put in the effort yourselves , and that in a nutshell is why professionals will get mad about amateurs asking questions about things they should know.

Next time your gas boiler goes lets hope the guy who comes out has read some books and done some training not just asked another plumber how to fix it hey ?

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 10:45 PM

Quote: There is a massive amount of knowledge on the internet in the form of books articles and videos which if you had any sense you would have thoroughly read before even attempting a wedding , to come on here asking advice on basics is lazy and if you carry on that way don't expect too much of a career in photography , the quest for knowledge and thirst for learning does not stop at the door of epz.

I wont apologize in the slightest for any seemingly intolerant attitude due to lazy people who find it easier to ask people who have spent years learning their trade and put in the time and effort than go and put in the effort yourselves , and that in a nutshell is why professionals will get mad about amateurs asking questions about things they should know.

Next time your gas boiler goes lets hope the guy who comes out has read some books and done some training not just asked another plumber how to fix it hey ?

Excuse me??? I think you will find there are some very knowledgeable wedding pros on here who only a few years ago were asking some very basic questions themselves...

I'm not a wedding photographer, but have much to thank the epz forums for when it comes to help and advice on all subjects.

Peter - The best advice I can offer you is to test your camera yourself. Try it on different ISO settings in lighting that you think will be similar to that at the wedding and see how far you can push it. It's not just a question of what other people do with their cameras, but also what is acceptable to you.

KevSB
13 Jan 2013 - 11:07 PM

Quote: There is a massive amount of knowledge on the internet in the form of books articles and videos which if you had any sense you would have thoroughly read before even attempting a wedding , to come on here asking advice on basics is lazy and if you carry on that way don't expect too much of a career in photography , the quest for knowledge and thirst for learning does not stop at the door of epz.

So by that statement no one should ask any advice on photography on this site as professionals will get upset, the attitude of some of the posters on here defy belief. To all those out there that want to understand something don't bother guys as you are lazy, any advice needs to be channelled through private messaging so not to upset anyone.

Peter I had similar problems some time ago in night time conditions with low lighting, I asked advice on here and got some good advice, never quite got the results I wanted but improved my hit rate

Last Modified By KevSB at 13 Jan 2013 - 11:12 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 11:25 PM

Quote: I wont apologize in the slightest for any seemingly intolerant attitude

LOL Grin

Quote: if you had any sense you would have thoroughly read before even attempting a wedding

LOL...Smile There ya go Peter, All you need is some sense, PMSL..Grin This guy gets funnier year on year, So I would take no notice what so ever.....Tongue

To your original question, The D700 is capable of clean high ISO images as we all know, As Kathy has suggested try a few test shots, But better still see if you can check out the venue of your wedding, Then go try some tests there, The only thing you nee to dial in is available light on the day, So try and vary the tests to allow for a bit of plus / minus on the day.

I have had perfectly clean images from my D700 all the way up to ISO 6400, That said the ambient lighting can play a big part, Especially if the image has lots of shadows.

I Doubt you'll have any problems....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 13 Jan 2013 - 11:29 PM
pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2013 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Cameracat Smile glad i could tickle your obviously huge intelligence.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.