Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Me again, weddings again!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2013 - 12:57 AM

And after much huffing and puffing over my previous response it seems everyone is in agreement that the best bet would be for pete to go to the venue and get some practice shots in and do the research and training before the event. Which is I am sure what we have all done ourselves ( those of us in that situation ) and exactly the point i made. EPZ is good for advice but it should not be used as a subsitute for good old fashioned learning and research where such an important job is involved.

Having used the D700 myself too in weddings i can confirm it is definitely NOT clean up to 6400, it drops off at around 3200 and requires work to keep it looking clean but for wedding work it is usable at 6400. The Canon 1Dx is clean at 6400 ...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Jan 2013 - 12:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
14 Jan 2013 - 10:48 AM

Any proper professional would arrange to see the venue to do some test shots and make friends with the management. If the D700 isn't up to the job, the OP can hire a more modern and capable camera from somebody like Hireacamera. Simples!

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 9:18 AM

Whatever people say about 'having to do your first wedding' or 'having to start somewhere' most questions show that the asker is not up to the basics. So I guess before doing one's first wedding, the photographer shouldat least be fully experienced in all aspects of photography, which means knowing the capability of his/her equipment in terms of ISO and how to deal with photography and the management of it, in snow, rain, sleet, fog and darkness.

That done then the idiosyncrasies of wedding photography can be faced before lauching off on a career.

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
15 Jan 2013 - 11:17 AM

I get the impression that the vast majority of wedding photographers have very little knlowledge of what is required to be a wedding photographer. A very subjective subject indeed but i dont see the point in people debating this on here. It will put people of the site.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 11:57 AM

LOL!
anyone know how to get wet crumbs from between the letters on a keyboard? Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96236 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 11:58 AM

Quote: anyone know how to get wet crumbs from between the letters on a keyboard?

You need a mouse Wink

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022822 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 12:31 PM

I suspect he needs a shovel!
Smile

paulcookphotography

Isnt the standard response to anyone asking for advice these days simply 'Google it'?

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 15 Jan 2013 - 4:09 PM
thewilliam
15 Jan 2013 - 4:26 PM

Quote: I get the impression that the vast majority of wedding photographers have very little knlowledge of what is required to be a wedding photographer. A very subjective subject indeed but i dont see the point in people debating this on here. It will put people of the site.

Oh happy day! I agree 100% with something that Lucian has posted.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 5:21 PM

" I get the impression that the vast majority of wedding photographers have very little knowledge of what is required to be a wedding photographer"

Does that make any sense ? if you ARE a wedding photographer then you will know what is required, whether or not you can deliver is probably the question and to say the vast majority don't know is an absurd statement Lucian coming from someone who only months ago was questioning how to get rid of red-eye at weddings ....

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014749 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 5:26 PM

Quote: how to get rid of red-eye at weddings

easy

drink less the night before

Wink

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
15 Jan 2013 - 6:33 PM

Quote: " I get the impression that the vast majority of wedding photographers have very little knowledge of what is required to be a wedding photographer"
to say the vast majority don't know is an absurd statement Lucian coming from someone who only months ago was questioning how to get rid of red-eye at weddings ....

Exactly, im a prime example then am i not.

paulcookphotography

Quote: " I get the impression that the vast majority of wedding photographers have very little knowledge of what is required to be a wedding photographer"

Does that make any sense ? if you ARE a wedding photographer then you will know what is required, whether or not you can deliver is probably the question and to say the vast majority don't know is an absurd statement Lucian coming from someone who only months ago was questioning how to get rid of red-eye at weddings ....

Perhaps, but at what point do we stop learning and officially know it all? Wedding photographer or not, we are always coming across new situations or, for some of us, working with new kit (that had different characteristics and capabilities). Yes, theres people of varying levels of experience here but surely its not that hard or inconvenient to offer a bit of helpful advice or some tips.

Going back to the original OP's question, what if it was an established wedding photographer with several years under his belt asking? Perhaps he has had to change camera suddenly for whatever reason and is simply asking how the D700's high ISO capabilities stand up. Or do you honestly believe that experienced people dont ask advice or opinion from others (you are VERY sadly mistaken if you do, and i would be concerned about your own level of experience).

I have noticed a lot of responses on EPZ recently where people are simply asking some advice from others with a bit more experience only to have some folk jump down their throats about it. I had no idea the industry (or hobby, for that matter) had become so exclusive

lemmy
lemmy  71776 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 - 7:01 PM

Quote: I had no idea the industry (or hobby, for that matter) had become so exclusive

Surely the fact that professional photographers are asking here what are the most basic of questions means the exact opposite, that professional photography is anything but exclusive?

Blimey, next thing when you go to see a doctor you'll expect him to have a GCSE in biology or something Wink

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2013 - 7:08 PM

I agree with your sentiment, Paul but surely "an established wedding photographer with several years under his belt" would immediately go to a typical venue and shoot some frames? If he was going to buy a D700, it's a fair question, but he owns it already.

By the way, I have no problem with even a rank amateur selling services if they can do so but it reflects badly on the rest of the profession is they screw it up.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.