Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Measurements of Quality

AspenB 13 2 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2002 6:38PM
Are there measurements apart from the number of pixels that will determine whether a digital camera is good enough to buy instead of a film camera? E.g. lense quality, colour reproduction, contrast comparisons etc..?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
4 Aug 2002 7:17PM
Lens quality is a key factor, as is the processing of the image, signal to noise ratio and overall control of exposure. There's a comparison suggested that a CCD would need to deliver 14 million pixesl to be at the same standard as film, but very few users would ever see the advantage of having film quality a few ever push film to its limits. A 2million pixel camera will give you a good 10x8in picture and 5 million is as much as most of us would ever need.
I think the LCD is also important. I've used a digital camera where the pics looked okay on the viewfinder but were blurred when I got home and looked at them on a computer. The newer camerras have a zoom display where you can magnify the area to check sharpness.
stevekhart 8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2013 6:49PM
Hello,

This is the forum topic to discuss the Model Studio Day event scheduled for 07/07/2013.

To view more details regarding this event, click here .

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.