Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Medium Format - Large Camera - Hasselblad 500C/M

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Royalrat
    Royalrat  3 Israel
    2 Nov 2011 - 7:34 AM

hasselblad-500cm---front---s.jpg

It was a very exciting moment when Yael showed me her Medium format camera – The magnificent Hasselblad 500C/M. She bought it about ten years ago because her teacher at Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design in Jerusalem told his Photography students they must own a Medium format camera. It was a great expanse for a student, and it took her many years to appreciate it as an asset. Nowadays, though rarely used, Yael’s Hasselblad has a place of honor in her closet, and every now and then, when the muse is right, she takes it for a walk & shot. I was honored to borrow it from her, and immediately thought of ways I can make the best of the two weeks we are going to spend together.

Full review with photos and videos:
    http://royalrat.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/hasselblad-500cm/

the-pit---s.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Nov 2011 - 7:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    2 Nov 2011 - 9:57 AM

Have fun with it, Yaniv.

thewilliam
    2 Nov 2011 - 12:00 PM

It is indeed a fine camera and I still have my first Hasselblad, bought in the 1970s, but used with a digiback these days.

Every day will be a "yom tov" for the next two weeks.

lemmy
    lemmy  71941 forum posts United Kingdom
    2 Nov 2011 - 12:46 PM

I had Hasselblads for years from the late 70s. Great cameras and especially the lenses. I had an outfit with 50mm, 80mm, 150mm and 250mm Sonnars. I did a shot of Chas and Dave for their (then) pub in Stoke Newington and it was framed behind the bar - 8 feet high! You could walk up to it and it was razor sharp even at that size.

I was very lucky with my 'Blads because the camera shop I bought from had as clients Peter Sellars and a couple of very rich Arab princes. These guys would buy an entire outfit of Leica or Hasselblad, keep it a few months, used a couple of times, and then, bored with the stuff, take it back and chop it in on the next boy's toy. I bought these items at a decent discount off the new price.

Just using the cameras and backs was a pleasure, the way the precision machined metal interlocked, utterly solid and confidence inspiring. They used to impress clients, too, who knew they were expensive and therefore assumed you were very successful.

In a business sense, too, they were a great buy. I used the 2 bodies (one manual wind, one electric), 6 backs and lenses I had professionally for 15 years before renewing them and in a private sale got for them in 1992 more or less what I had paid in '77. Not accounting for inflation in this, of course but nevertheless having written off the cost against tax in the first 4 years of ownership, a handy bonus.

I have no feelings about cameras generally, just nice tools, more like white goods in my mind but the Hasselblads were special and about the only cameras I recall with affection and pleasure.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.