Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Medium format advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

frankiej
frankiej  2 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2013 - 2:36 PM

Hi there, just wondering whether anyone could offer me some advice about getting a medium format camera. I'm new to MF but have film 35mm and digital but would like to try MF. I'd like something that's not too cumbersome, has a light meter (a bit out of practice with manual exposures, although shoot manual digital) , not overly expensive, maybe 200-300. Think that's it! I was looking at a Bronica Sq but not sure how big they are?! Any advice most welcome! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jan 2013 - 2:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

icphoto
icphoto  13950 forum posts England
16 Jan 2013 - 2:54 PM

How about a Bronica ETRSi, with 75mm lens speedgrip and AEII meter prism, it shoots 6x4.5cm. I used one for years as a workhorse, pretty good camera, expect to pay around your budget for one. Or a Pentax 645 - more automated ideal as a move from digital, price about the same. If you want a brick, you cannot go wrong with a Pentax 67 or Mamiya RB67, but they are big and heavy.Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 3:00 PM

It's worth reading this article : Guide to Medium Format which explains the differences in format as that's the first thing you need to decide before which model. Some are multi-format, but at least if you have a clear idea of your preferred format you can start on the right lines.

AndyMurdo
AndyMurdo  833 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 3:32 PM

Hi Frankie J, You don't explain what type of photography you wish to do with your MF camera, if you do not want to get additional lenses and your initial buget suggests that you don't, then why not go for one of the old Twin Lens Reflext type of cameras, I used to have a Rolliflex T (TLR) not too heavy, cracking build and image quality too and plenty of fun without the weight penalty, or you could go for the Mamiya C330 variant that offered a couple of lens options (interchangable) and lens plate that racked out with a built in bellows for close-ups if thats your thing. Note: both are square format though. If an SLR is what you'r after Mamiya's 645 system might work for you. Don't forget, that larger the format the better image quality is likely to be!
Good luck
Andy M

User_Removed
16 Jan 2013 - 5:10 PM

If you are wanting auto-exposure (or even built-in coupled metering) in an inexpensive MF camera, you are almost certainly looking at one with an optional AE-Prism Finder or suchlike added.

When I was shooting MF seriously for magazines a couple (or 3) decades ago, my favourite was the Pentax 6x7 which handles like an oversize 35mm SLR. More recently I got a lot of fun playing about with a Mamiya RB67. Both models, although very different, were great cameras and can be picked up very cheaply on eBay or elsewhere.

I would definitely go for a 6x7 format (10 on 120) rather than 6x6 (12 on 120) as you get just that much more negative area to play with. The RB67 has a rotating film holder so you can switch from landscape to portrait with a twist of the wrist. The Pentax, of course, you simply hold to your eye in the desired orientation.

Have fun.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314803 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 6:45 PM

The later Yashica-Mat TLR`s had a basic exposure meter that worked well.

Quote: I'd like something that's not too cumbersome, has a light meter (a bit out of practice with manual exposures, although shoot manual digital) , not overly expensive, maybe 200-300

The Lubitels are tiny, no metering but separate light meters are cheap enough.

4-p1010012.jpg

pentaxpete
16 Jan 2013 - 7:31 PM

How about a 'folder' like this I was GIVEN Free by a Camera Club member - I have got many 16x12" Exhibition prints out of it !

frankiej
16 Jan 2013 - 7:46 PM

Hi thanks for all the advice. I'd want to use it predominantly for portraits/environmental portraits, so not sure what would be best format 6x6?

frankiej
16 Jan 2013 - 7:47 PM

sorry I meant 6x7!

frankiej
16 Jan 2013 - 7:50 PM

What sort of scanner do people use? would an epson flatbed one suffice? I think there's a big price hike in the next step up?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314803 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2013 - 7:58 PM

I wouldn`t bother with a scanner, most film processors will include a cd of scans if requested at the time of processing.

frankiej
16 Jan 2013 - 8:14 PM

Maybe the folder cameras like the one above would be better, can anyone recommend a good brand/model?

User_Removed
17 Jan 2013 - 10:34 AM

Quote: I wouldn`t bother with a scanner, most film processors will include a cd of scans if requested at the time of processing.

Most will. But how do you find a decent one. I tried several "develop and scan" services before buying an Epson V700 to do my own.

thewilliam
17 Jan 2013 - 12:19 PM

When you want to use anything larger than 35mm, the price of a half-decent scanner will rocket.

pentaxpete
17 Jan 2013 - 3:11 PM

I was GIVEN an older Epson 1650 flatbed scanner by a Camera Club member which was really for 35mm only BUT he found if he made a cardboard mask thing it would take 6x6 medium format negs from his Yashica TLR camera -- then he gave it to me as he got another model with a wider 'light strip' so I made a mask for 6x7 format and tried -- sometimes it worked with the Epson Software, other times it would not 'find the film' ---- then I WON FREE Ed Hamrik's 'Vuescan Professional' and it works with all my formats !! ( But I do NOT PRINT from my Scans -- if I want a PRINT I do it in my Darkroom with B&W or RA4 Colour chemistry. My photo of my AGFA Islolette III was with my old Epson 1650 and Vuescan. )

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.