Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Medium format advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 7:38 PM

Quote: When you want to use anything larger than 35mm, the price of a half-decent scanner will rocket

Thats why I said not to bother buying one, unless your likely to be using one heck of a lot of film Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jan 2013 - 7:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andysnapper
Andysnapper e2 Member 6100 forum postsAndysnapper vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 10:58 AM

Epson V500 scanners are about 150 for a new one, pays for itself after 15 films and you get control over the scan.

As to MF itself, I have used many different types over the past few years and at the moment I am using a Mamiya C330f which I bought from bay-e with an 80mm lens, paramender (thing to correct the viewing angle when shooting close-ups or portraits) and case for 225. I have since bought another 3 lenses all of which are superbly sharp.
Yashicamat cameras are superb as well and can be had for very little. I wouldn't worry about a light meter, just get a nice little Sekonic L208 Twinmate, dead simple to use and really accurate.
If you fancy a folder have a look at Ross Ensign cameras. The 16-20 (6 x 4.5 negs), the 12-20 (6 x 6 negs, or the 820 (6 x 9 negs) are all available very reasonably and have probably the best lenses of any British camera.

Don't worry about a lightmeter, they are usually more accurate than the ones in old cameras and you soon get used to using them. I hadn't used one until 18 months ago and its second nature now.

Cheers

Andy

User_Removed
24 Jan 2013 - 9:37 AM

....just a comment on the Exposure Meter thing. You will get a Russian one (Leningrad-4 or similar) for under a fiver on eBay and it will be good enough for most film purposes. If you are doubtful about its accuracy, cross-calibrate it with the meter of your digital camera and work out a degree of exposure compensation to apply if necessary.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2013 - 10:47 AM

You can even get a light meter app for your phone. With a little experience, you can tell if its giving you good info. To start with, you can use 'sunny16' which is surprisingly accurate (you can download mini aide-memoires to keep in the camera case), but a cheap light meter will serve perfectly well.

I use a Weston V with a cone (for incident metering) for large format.

Nick

sdb
sdb  6109 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2013 - 11:14 AM

+1 for the Weston V - I picked up one in perfect condition with cone and cases for 6 on ebay.

KangaRU
KangaRU e2 Member 7KangaRU vcard United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 - 9:58 PM

The scans from most film developers a low res and not very good, in the long run it pays to get a half decent scanner it will pay for its self I use the Epson V750 Pro for scanning my 120 and 35mm film.

User_Removed
3 Feb 2013 - 10:40 PM

Quote: The scans from most film developers a low res and not very good, in the long run it pays to get a half decent scanner it will pay for its self I use the Epson V750 Pro for scanning my 120 and 35mm film.

That was certainly my experience too.

Canon4me
Canon4me  1 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2013 - 11:23 PM

I've got a Bronica etrsi which is 6x4.5, and a Mamiya which is square format and twin lens. Although the Mamiya is very old it was built to last and you can pick one up cheap, a fair bit cheaper than a Bronica. Earlier on there was a Mamiya C330 with just one bid of 70 on ebay

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2013 - 1:42 AM

Quote: The scans from most film developers a low res and not very good, in the long run it pays to get a half decent scanner it will pay for its self I use the Epson V750 Pro for scanning my 120 and 35mm film

Just get a light box, lay your negatives in your scanner, place light box on top and upside down, works a treat Smile

thewilliam
2 Mar 2013 - 9:50 AM

Quote: ....just a comment on the Exposure Meter thing. You will get a Russian one (Leningrad-4 or similar) for under a fiver on eBay and it will be good enough for most film purposes. If you are doubtful about its accuracy, cross-calibrate it with the meter of your digital camera and work out a degree of exposure compensation to apply if necessary.

I remember a video of Annie Liebowitz at work in which she was shooting on medium-format but using a Nikon camera as a lightmeter. A very sensible method because Nikon's built-in metering has always been good.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 2 Mar 2013 - 9:52 AM
pablophotographer

Check out these two websites:

http://www.zenit-camera.com/kiev_cameras.htm

http://www.kievusa.com/

phil44
phil44  8 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2014 - 3:14 PM

Over my "Film" life I used a few MF cameras including TLR's from Yashica, Rollie and Mamiya, but my favourite of all was my Bronica ETRSi 6 x 4.5 format. I still have it although sadly it hasn't been used for a couple of years.
6 x 6 format is OK but I found that I was usually cropping to rectangular anyway and the 6 x 4.5 was a little more compact and lighter.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.