Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mega - 50Gb free cloud store

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kingsgraphic
    28 Jan 2013 - 12:23 PM

I've been trying this for the last day or two, and it seems to work well, with good upload speed, easy to use GUI and reliable connection.
    This, in complete contrast to the new NIKON IMAGE SPACE, which so far I've found slow, awkward to use and they lost 2Gb of my files that were in Mypicturetown !!

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 12 Feb 2013 - 9:33 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Jan 2013 - 12:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB
    779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Jan 2013 - 1:34 PM

Will be interesting to see how this goes. I assume that’s the new place set up by Kim Dotcom – the guy behind megaupload who they’re trying to extradite from New Zealand at the moment?

I assume you’re probably not going to upload anything pirated. But I wouldn't upload anything either that you couldn't bear to lose. When Megaupload was taken down I don’t think anyone got their files back.

779HOB
    28 Jan 2013 - 2:17 PM

Just read they had 500,000 users sign up in 14 hours of launching. That's 25,000TB of free storage they are giving away!

kingsgraphic
    28 Jan 2013 - 3:47 PM

I did'nt know about the connection with Megaupload, but MEGA Cloud seems to be a legit set-up, with free and paid-for file storage. As for getting files back from Megaupload I guess most was pirated apps anyway....
    I'm only interested in an on-line image back-up facility and 50Gb will cover my needs, unlike the usual 2Gb free space that most clouds offer.

The problem I was having with Nikon Image Space may go away after the inital surge of users. I tried to upload a few images and it just sat there for five minutes doing very little. I gave up.

779HOB
    28 Jan 2013 - 3:53 PM

I think the problem you might have is when Kim Dotcom ends up in the hands of the FBI and his assets are taken and his new business collapses. You have to remember he enabled illegal file sharing and I suspect many of his old users from Megaupload will be using his new site and this is the danger.

It's fine to use Mega for just backup I guess but I wouldn't make it your only store as it could well end up going the same way Megaupload went.

Hugo
    Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Jan 2013 - 5:04 PM

Quote: Just read they had 500,000 users sign up in 14 hours of launching. That's 25,000TB of free storage they are giving away!

I don't really understand - what pays for all this?
    Store popular 'pirate material' - games, music, software etc, get a lot of visits, maybe you can make some £££ from advertising, but I can't see how it all adds up?

779HOB
    28 Jan 2013 - 5:10 PM

Quote: I can't see how it all adds up?

I can't either. I guess they can buy much less storage to start with and add to it as people get closer to their 50GB limits. My main concern is who will be using it given the founders background. I am sure ex Megaupload users will start up there and it will end up being closed down and all data lost.

779HOB
    2 Feb 2013 - 7:18 AM

Just seen an interview with Mr Dotcom. Very clever setup on Mega. It will I am sure become the new Megaupload. As you upload your files there they are encrypted and only the uploader has the key. They can then share that key with anyone they want by email or more likely forums. Anyone with that key can access the file.

So I suspect the Feds will be after the forums next, what Mega is doing isn't illegal. Kim Dotcom sat there with a smug smile on his face : Quote : "this isn't a finger up to the authorities" Kim Dotcom.

Yah right.

Mega can claim they don't know what's up there (in fact they won't) if someone informs them that there is illegal content they will take it down. But they have to be informed. Like YouTube, Facebook etc.... With the amount of data that Megaupload was moving around a day this is almost impossible to do on any scale worth doing. Megaupload had on average 50million visitors a day.

It seems you can't stop piracy only slow it down. The thing is it's a game to these people so unless they are in a cell they will continue to play and win.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.