Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Member Award - Pic of the Day

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MediumSizeUnavailable

sorry, I mentioned this before, but thought it was a good time to resurrect the idea

How about a new feature giving members the possibility to award one photo per day as "pic of the day" or with a "member award", to highlight that one photo that really jumped out. So apart from the usual vote/comment there is a pretty "member award" icon in the comment space.

Yes, there will be abuse. So what's new ?

Basically it would be a nice way to compliment a fellow photographer for that outstanding piece of photography he posted, and a way to say to other viewers "now that's photography !". Sometimes you want to give a photo more than just a click or a good comment.

Obviously you don't have to award a photo. But you can if you see a photo that fits the description. Only one a day though, so better use it wisely. You don't like the idea... don't use it. But if you like it, now that you can save your "favourite photos", it's also easier to keep track of the good ones you saw during a day if you want to give your award at the end of the day. Just save them in the "favourite photos"-map and make your final pick from there afterwards.

Make it a members only feature (but obviously the award can go to a photo from a non-member as well). should make for a nice extra bait to get people to pay up for membership.

You don't agree with Pete's choice for EC and HC. Here's your chance to tell people which one you would have chosen.
Why should he have all the cool toys all for himself anyway ? Smile

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 5 Oct 2007 - 6:03 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Oct 2007 - 6:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2007 - 8:29 AM

If we introduce another scoring method it will, as you say, get abuse. In reality we already have the option set up - it's the pic that gets the most reader votes for the day. If reader votes are used as they are intended, by voting on pics you think are outstanding, then the best would shine through, and the one with the most votes could be titled the pic of the day.

We do have a new rating system planned - based on current RC, HC, EC, etc which will appear as the Gallery of Excellence and will introduce some new methods. It's a fairly long way off development though.

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2007 - 8:37 AM

I tend to agree with Pete here Koen. I think we already have enough awards with the existing RC, HC, EC and POTW framework plus associated gallery filters so we can see them in isolation.

Already the RC is no absolute gauge of photographic quality as it is heavily influenced by member popularity. I would think that a Reader's Pic of the Day award would go the same way too. And then we'd get millions of forum threads complaining about it and Pete's disk space would fill up and leave no more room for photos Sad

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2007 - 8:40 AM

Quote: And then we'd get millions of forum threads complaining about it

Oh come on - not millions, hundreds each year, maybe Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2007 - 8:41 AM

I agree with Dave and Pete here.
It would just highlight the fault of current system.

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2007 - 8:42 AM

Can't a boy exaggerate a little ......

csurry
5 Oct 2007 - 8:43 AM

Quote: Can't a boy exaggerate a little ......

I thought most did! But normally only about one subject Smile

MediumSizeUnavailable

okay, that makes four in favour of the idea...
anyone else ?

Wink

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 5 Oct 2007 - 8:50 AM
User_Removed
5 Oct 2007 - 8:49 AM

PMSL...

DaveU
5 Oct 2007 - 8:50 AM

Quote: I thought most did! But normally only about one subject

Lol but I had a feeling that might be your riposte. Women ..... so predictable Wink

csurry
5 Oct 2007 - 8:51 AM

Quote: Okay, that makes two in favour of the idea...
anyone else ?

Is this your idea of exaggeration, I didn't see anybody in favour except you Tongue

MediumSizeUnavailable

you have to know how to read between the lines

But no problem... I'll put you up as a maybe then

Wink

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 5 Oct 2007 - 8:58 AM
csurry
5 Oct 2007 - 8:59 AM

Quote: You have to know how to read between the lines

Or just read what you want to read in peoples posts Smile

Have you thought of working for a political party - I believe there is talk of a general election in the UK and people so good at rewriting actual figures in this way could be very useful to all parties.

Smile

I'm a definite NO! Just to make it clear and so it can not be misintrepreted.

Barbaraj
Barbaraj  7450 forum posts England
5 Oct 2007 - 9:05 AM

By voting on pics you think are outstanding, then the best would shine through, was what Pete said.

But then what happens for those just starting off? They would be overlooked and just give up if no one clicked. I have learnt by looking and clicking, sometimes offering encouragement to newcomers.

Last Modified By Barbaraj at 5 Oct 2007 - 9:06 AM
MediumSizeUnavailable

well not really.
I'm talking about having the ability to award one photo as your own personal Pic of the Day among the photos you viewed/commented on/voted for. You can write 'pic of the day' in your comment of course, but it just looks so much cuter if there would just be a 'pic of the day' or 'member's choice' icon.
Personally I think it would be quite an encouragement, certainly for those people whose uploads are less popular.
It wouldn't change anything about the regular voting.

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 5 Oct 2007 - 9:45 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.