Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Member of the Week - Devlin - 31st Jan - 7th Feb 2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2011 - 7:26 AM

Fire away Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2011 - 7:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014725 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2011 - 7:35 AM

Ok Devlin. I like your images. Obviously people are your favourite subjects; what motivates you to get out and take pictures?

devlin
31 Jan 2011 - 9:28 AM

Quote: Ok Devlin. I like your images. Obviously people are your favorite subjects; what motivates you to get out and take pictures?

Thanks Denny Smile, i guess more than anything else its a kind of stress therapy for me going out early in the morning, pleasant, cool and peaceful , i can sometimes sit around for ages just watching people go about their work observing others as they live their lives and capturing those decisive moments makes me forget my own troubles and that i guess is motivation enough Smile

Cheers

Prabh

Last Modified By devlin at 31 Jan 2011 - 9:28 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110248 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2011 - 11:35 AM

Has your style of photography changed with time Devlin and, if so, how?

CathyI
CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2011 - 11:40 AM

So - who would you most like to photograph and why?

Robin_TB
Robin_TB  5193 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2011 - 1:57 PM

Do you ever get any hassle for taking pictures of everyday people in the street? Over here there are often stories in the media about photographers being hassled by police or security guards for taking pictures, does that happen in Mumbai? Have you noticed any change since the terrorist attacks?

Last Modified By Robin_TB at 31 Jan 2011 - 1:57 PM
devlin
31 Jan 2011 - 5:51 PM

Quote: Has your style of photography changed with time Devlin and, if so, how?

Not been at it long enough Brian, will complete a year in March this year Smile, but i would definitely say that i believe i have improved a lot in terms of my knowledge and skill's since then largely thanks to all the advice i get on here especially from the Critique Gallery, i now think and visualize better what iam trying to convey not always successfully but getting there Smile

Quote: So - who would you most like to photograph and why?

H mm tough question Cathy, dont rightly know never thought about it, but i would definitely like to visit all the major cities of the world and record day to day life of people if that makes sense Smile

Quote: Do you ever get any hassle for taking pictures of everyday people in the street? Over here there are often stories in the media about photographers being hassled by police or security guards for taking pictures, does that happen in Mumbai? Have you noticed any change since the terrorist attacks?

By and large no i think most of the people here dont mind i have a policy of deleting anyone's photos right away if they object to it and simply move on; and dont get into a confrontation, most of the times though i try to be as discrete as i can so that the shots dont come out looking posed or unnatural which means that they dont always know that their photos have been taken, the cops though are a different matter altogether especially after the terrorist attacks and while they dont hassle you, one can be expected to be questioned if you venture into sensitive areas like the railway stations, airports etc or other high visibility areas where you have VIP's or political leaders staying..its also a good policy to avoid these places after dark or in the night if you are in the mood for some night photography Smile, we got stopped once in the night by a bunch of em and it took some convincing to avoid being carted off to the local station for further identity verification, though if you have a press card or are affiliated to them then you dont get hassled much...

CathyI
CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2011 - 10:09 PM

It does make sense! Where's the best place you've been to take pictures so far?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2011 - 10:13 PM

I was called "coach" by Romel, a good friend and IT contractor from the north of India, not far from the Himalayas. He bought his camera kit in the UK as it was cheaper than back home.

Is camera kit a very expensive luxury in all of India? Is it coming down in price? How popular a hobby is photography over there?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2011 - 10:13 PM

Here he is actually...

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/romel-14197928

Living in Bangalore now I think

devlin
31 Jan 2011 - 11:29 PM

Quote: It does make sense! Where's the best place you've been to take pictures so far?

I traveled a lot pre-photography days primarily to the US / Canada and Asia Pacific, last year though has only been within India, i guess my fav still remains Mumbai maybe cause iam more comfortable with the general scene of things here, after Mumbai it would have to be Shimla, then followed by Jaipur. This year though looks like its going to be more of International travel and iam looking forward to it Smile from my traveling days i think i would like to revisit San Francisco and the bay area, especially places like Palo Alto and the Stanford University, Toronto is another city i would like to go back to with a Camera Smile

Quote: Is camera kit a very expensive luxury in all of India? Is it coming down in price? How popular a hobby is photography over there?

Yes its pretty much an expensive hobby by average standards, the Canon Entry level cameras start at about INR 25,000 with stuff like the 7D (body only) coming it at INR 75,000, the exchange rate works out to about INR 73 to the pound which would make it about 1025 GBP if converted. It has come down marginally over the years i guess with reforms in the tax and import duty sections but still remains expensive, though converted its still a 1000 pounds but its still a lot of money out here..especially given the fact that over 40% of the population is below International Poverty line of $1.25 incomer per day and the average monthly income of people in 2010 was about INR 3,000 per month. The hobby though is catching on off late with Average incomes going up at least in the Metro cities and other urban areas, its not uncommon these days to see weekend photography excursions by large groups we even have a few clubs starting off now...:, plus the digital media industry is on a boom now so lots of people are also opting for it from a career standpoint..

devlin
31 Jan 2011 - 11:37 PM

Quote: Here he is actually...

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/romel-14197928

Living in Bangalore now I think

Thats a good one Smile Bangalore is in the south of India, another interesting place to be with a Camera Smile

ade_mcfade
1 Feb 2011 - 11:54 AM

Yeah - he's from right up near China, but moved to Bangalore to join the IT crowd.

He highly reommends Kerala (nor sure I spelled that right) - have you been there?

devlin
1 Feb 2011 - 3:18 PM

That's a big shift almost from one end of the country to the other Smile yup you spelled it right the backwaters of Kerala are probably one of the most scenic locations in the country, very peaceful, calm still waters, palm trees etc definitely worth a visit if you get the chance...i have visited it on and off over the last 10 years or so, and i dont mind going back again Smile its a lovely get away from the rat race of city life

Last Modified By devlin at 1 Feb 2011 - 3:19 PM
ade_mcfade
1 Feb 2011 - 8:24 PM

When I look at photos from India, they're so incredibly different to the UK that I find them entrancing, it's a view on a different world in many ways.

DO you have the same reaction to shots from europe, and the UK?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.