Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Member of the Week - theorderingone - 21st March - 28th March 2011

21 Mar 2011 1:35PM
Reet, if you've any questions, please do fire away!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 Mar 2011 1:45PM
You have the choice of one band who you have not yet photographed - what's it to be?.....and why.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
21 Mar 2011 1:50PM
Every band in the world stops touring... your gig work dries up Sad

What would you photograph instead to make a living?
Picture_Newport 6 659 19 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2011 1:50PM
You have an awsome job, I envy you as I am sure many on here do. How did you get into music photography, when and how did it become a full time job for you?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 Mar 2011 2:00PM
I can transport you back to Knebworth 1979 with an AAA Pass for both weekends. When you return you have to publicly announce your love of Glee and take up knitting - do you take my offer?
21 Mar 2011 2:08PM
Crikey, that was quick!

Keith... I'm guessing you mean a band that's still touring? I've actually photographed my favourite twice already... That's Neurosis. I'd love to photograph them again though as I always feel I could get better shots.

This year I'm quite looking forward to shooting Immortal at Bloodstock open air later in the year and Symphony X on Thursday Smile. I've not had the chance to shoot either yet, so both should be a challenge to ensure I get shots I'm happy with.

Ade, if every band in the world stopped touring, I'd probably try to concentrate on my teaching. That's my second passion and what I hope will take over when I'm too old/broken/disabled to drag myself round festivals all summer.

Paul, I didn't ever intend to get into this as a job as such. I started by shooting friends bands at the local pub, purely because they wanted some snaps to remember the gig by. From that a local promoter I bumped into was putting on a new jazz night in Oldham and asked if I could take some shots. Payment was a guest pass for a friend and a few beers, but the experience was invaluable and led onto more opportunities to shoot, and above all to make contacts.

Shortly after moving to Sheffield (to work writing for a website I'm sure you've all heard of) I met Rob who was working as a web developer at the time and we used to go to gigs together covering them for Drowned in Sound (who I now work for as their photo editor). During that time I started shooting for Redferns Music Picture Library and things grew from there, especially as I found myself with more time on my hands a year after moving to Sheffield.

You make the best of what opportunities you have... and if even the bad can be turned around into opportunities, then that's a bonus too Wink The same goes for any line of photography, I think.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2011 2:08PM
I will be seeing Suzi quatro and Wishbone Ash plus 10cc this summer, then zipping forward in time to Simple Minds, time travel, brilliant.

Any tips for a suitability period look to the photo's
21 Mar 2011 2:10PM
Haha, Keith. I already enjoy kitting, but don't have the time/needles.

Make that free flights and a AAA for Hellfest and Wacken each year and you have a deal. Everyone knows I hate Glee anyway Wink
21 Mar 2011 2:15PM
John, to be honest Photoshop wizardry isn't my strong point.

I neither have the time, nor the inclination to experiment too much creating effects as I know others are in a much better position to do things better.

I suppose my best answer would be to shoot fuji press 800 or neopan 1600 at wide apertures underexposed by a stop. Wink
Metalhead
7 1.9k 2 England
21 Mar 2011 2:24PM
You mentioned HellFest... Are you going this year? We've signed up for this year, just hope it's not as scorchingly hot as 2 years ago! Rehydration through beer is not a good idea...Grin
strawman e2
21 Mar 2011 2:27PM
I might borrow a friends EOS50 that can take my lenses so I can shoot film in parallel.
21 Mar 2011 2:29PM
I'm afraid not... at least I've nothing confirmed yet. Paying for flights etc can be prohibitive as I'd have to make that money back before I'm even breaking even.

At Glastonbury last year, many a photographer seemed to fall foul of the issues attempting to rehydrate themselves with beer causes as it was so hot! I think the hottest weather I've had to work in was at Les Eurockeenes in France last year. 36 degrees in the shade wasn't fun when lugging all my gear around a dusty field. At least the press cabins there were air conditioned! Smile
21 Mar 2011 2:33PM

Quote:I might borrow a friends EOS50 that can take my lenses so I can shoot film in parallel.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully you'll have the right conditions to create a similar look to David Redfern's classic work like on the splash page here , or if you start from the beginning of his collection and work backwards , you should be able to find plenty of inspiration
strawman e2
21 Mar 2011 2:36PM
Thanks I will have a look
Grampy e2
5 507 71 England
21 Mar 2011 2:48PM
I think your work looks great,really nice to see something different. , I suppose that a book with all your shots portraying an era is in your mind, if it isn't it should be.
The only one I ever did was for Colombia in the late sixties I think, the first Isle of White festival.
As you work in low light a lot of the time I was wondering about lenses and ISO .
Thanks
Phill

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.