Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Member of the Week - theorderingone - 21st March - 28th March 2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
theorderingone
21 Mar 2011 - 3:11 PM

Thanks Phillip!

I have been told I should write/create a book. Maybe it would be worth thinking about in a little while. I'm always quite cynical about whether anyone would actually buy something like that nowadays though. Pictures look rubbish on a kindle Wink

I have more lenses than I have fingers, f/2.8 zooms for festivals and arena gigs and a selection of fast primes for everything else. I tend to use older lenses and buy second hand, for example my short zooms are a Nikon 20-35mm f/2.8 and a 35-70mm f/2.8, partly because of budget constraints (I certainly ain't made of money!) and partly because I really like the look some of the older create, especially in concert lighting where flare can sometimes lift a shot rather than be an issue. The lower contrast some of these lenses gives allows a little more headroom when editing afterwards too.

The primes I use cover 24mm-300mm and are great for lower lighting in smaller venues.

As for ISO, it really depends on the conditions. When using my D700 I tend to limit myself to ISO4000 unless the conditions are too poor, using the Auto ISO feature to get the lowest ISO possible for the shutter speed I require. At arenas, shooting from the sound desk I tend to use a D300 to take advantage of the crop factor. At these kinds of gigs the performer is normally lit up brighter than the sun, so the high ISO performance isn't so much of an issue. If using flash, I tend to keep the ISO quite high in an attempt to capture the stage lights and so that the flash doesn't flatten the image too much.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Mar 2011 - 3:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
Metalhead  61862 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2011 - 3:18 PM

Shame you won't be there (HellFest). Have you thought about going with Argon Events on the coach? We've done a few trips with them in the past. One price includes your coach travel, ferry, hotel, and daily transfers to the festival site. It's the posh festival-goers only choice! They pick-up in Sheffield too, which is where our journey will start this year, plus you get all Thursday in Nantes to have a look around...

HellFest and Graspop are just about bearable on a coach trip. We used to do Wacken but it's a full 24 hours travelling each way. Being as tall as I am it's a killer on a coach...

You now live in Sheffield and I get the impression you're a northerner Grin Where were you born and what made you move around? Was it solely job influenced (as touched on with one of your previous answers above)? Do you hold your home town as a special place still?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2011 - 3:20 PM

You could do a BLURB book very quickly - choose your photos and put them in a folder, run a wizard and see what it comes up with Smile

If its any good, then upload for print - BINGO.

Then use the book to show people - they're usually well impressed by books. If you get the right vibes, then maybe think of a more serious route. Blurb is limiting because the book you generate in their software is only printable by them. You can use other tools like Word and InDesign to create PDF's which any book manufacturer can create for you.

I'm certainly thinking of a book on Leeds done in InDesign...

Anyway - back to the questions...

Its a sunny day, it's 1 hour till sunset and you're at home - where do you go to capture that last bit of light... or do you even bother?

theorderingone
21 Mar 2011 - 5:04 PM

Quote: Shame you won't be there (HellFest). Have you thought about going with Argon Events on the coach? We've done a few trips with them in the past. One price includes your coach travel, ferry, hotel, and daily transfers to the festival site. It's the posh festival-goers only choice! They pick-up in Sheffield too, which is where our journey will start this year, plus you get all Thursday in Nantes to have a look around...

HellFest and Graspop are just about bearable on a coach trip. We used to do Wacken but it's a full 24 hours travelling each way. Being as tall as I am it's a killer on a coach...

You now live in Sheffield and I get the impression you're a northerner Where were you born and what made you move around? Was it solely job influenced (as touched on with one of your previous answers above)? Do you hold your home town as a special place still?

Ah, I may look into that. Getting a pass probably wouldn't be an issue, it's the travel etc that the problem. I've had some silly journeys in the past. The worst involved an overnight stay in Stansted airport waiting for the first train heading north in the morning.

I originally hail from Oldham, went to Uni in Leeds, returned for a bit whilst working in Manchester and then moved to Sheffield about five years ago for work over here. Although EPZ are based near Worksop, I'm a proper cityphile. I like to live right in the thick of things.

To be honest, I don't miss Oldham one bit. I miss the people I've left behind there, such as family and friends, as I don't get to see them enough, but the place itself doesn't really hold any special feelings. I was back there the other weekend staying with my folks as I had a couple of gigs back to back in Manchester... I went shopping in the town centre and was shocked to find there's not even a single music retailer left in the town (HMV was the last, apparently)... H Samuel and the other chavvy jewellers I forget the name of seemed to be doing a storming trade though Sad

theorderingone
21 Mar 2011 - 5:15 PM

Quote: You could do a BLURB book very quickly - choose your photos and put them in a folder, run a wizard and see what it comes up with

If its any good, then upload for print - BINGO.

Then use the book to show people - they're usually well impressed by books. If you get the right vibes, then maybe think of a more serious route. Blurb is limiting because the book you generate in their software is only printable by them. You can use other tools like Word and InDesign to create PDF's which any book manufacturer can create for you.

I'm certainly thinking of a book on Leeds done in InDesign...

Anyway - back to the questions...

Its a sunny day, it's 1 hour till sunset and you're at home - where do you go to capture that last bit of light... or do you even bother?

Thanks. I'll take a look at blurb.

If I'm not working (very rare these days) and it's 1 hour till sunset on a sunny day, I'd probably end up in the Beer Garden of the Rutland Arms in Sheffield Wink

I do enjoy shooting landscapes, although I find not driving quite limiting for that kind of photography, especially as a friend I used to go out shooting with on a fairly regular basis moved to Scarborough a year or so back. We used to head out into the peaks, around Bamford and Stannage Edge quite a bit as there are some beautiful landscapes to be shot around there.

I need to make an effort to take some of my landscape gear to the summer festivals this year, to try and make the most of my time there. I ended up resorting to using my stepladders at Glastonbury last year as a camera support for night photography. I tripod and some filters would be essential for capturing the sunrise over the camping fields etc

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214385 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2011 - 5:26 PM

There`s always been loads of metal festivals in France, Germany and Holland, if you could would you visit more of them.

From past experience and places and venues like these, they can get seriously lively Smile do you shoot the bands only, or take in the crowds as well.

ROCK NIGHTS, Sauclieres

Cross Guitars festival, Frieschepalen

Urpop Festival, Maastricht

Heavy Metal Maniacs Festival, Hoorn

theorderingone
21 Mar 2011 - 5:35 PM

Quote: There`s always been loads of metal festivals in France, Germany and Holland, if you could would you visit more of them.

From past experience and places and venues like these, they can get seriously lively Smile do you shoot the bands only, or take in the crowds as well.

ROCK NIGHTS, Sauclieres

Cross Guitars festival, Frieschepalen

Urpop Festival, Maastricht

Heavy Metal Maniacs Festival, Hoorn

Oh yes, if I could, I would. I don't just shoot metal festivals either though, they're just the ones I tend to enjoy the most. Hove Festival in Norway is pretty special, I did the first two years of it, then the invites dried up. Iceland Airwaves and Primavera sound are also excellent festivals. I do like a good foreign trip for work, it adds a bit of variety.

I shoot everything at festival, the crowds, scenery, interesting market stalls, drunken japery, amusing signs, people worse for wear in the morning... yep, pretty much everything. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214385 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2011 - 7:08 PM

As a kid I grew up just a short walk from Reading Festival site, from aged 8 onwards August bank holiday each year become the highlight of school summer holidays Smile

If you could have been doing what you now but back in the 70`s, what bands would have interested you the most, and what festivals.

theorderingone
21 Mar 2011 - 9:07 PM

Hehe, Paul, I'm a child of the 80s, so couldn't really comment on the 70s being a couple of months older than 30.

I suppose maybe Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Black Widow to name but a few that were going during the 70s, but most bands of my taste came to prominence during the 80s 90s and later.

ade_mcfade
21 Mar 2011 - 9:16 PM

Jesus - it;s a Rock forum thread all of a sudden Wink

Lets get it back to photography

What's your current favourite beer? Wink

theorderingone
21 Mar 2011 - 9:22 PM

Haha, indeed!

Favourite beer? I quite like a porter if there's the opportunity to imbibe a few. My favourite beer is still probably Old Peculiar though (the avatar's a bit of a giveaway) although I was mightly pleased with a bottle of Alba Scot's Pine Ale, and Kelpie from the same brewery.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2011 - 9:26 PM

Usually only a few photographers are seen in the pit for those first three songs...how many photographers usually get declined for popular gigs and what's the secret to getting a pass?

Are you usually enjoying the gig or worrying about getting the best shot?

Which rock photographer do you most admire and why?

theorderingone
21 Mar 2011 - 9:43 PM

Hello Pete.

As for declines, it's the nature of the beast and I'm sure many photographers get declined for many gigs, I wouldn't know how many are being declined though for sure.

It always helps if you have the backing of a publication, or an arrangement with the venue for getting passes. Even if you have the backing of a publication, you're not guaranteed a pass. PR companies, or the record labels will dole out the passes to those who they think will give them the best coverage, so if your mag/website has expressed their dislike for an artist, then you'll more than likely get knocked back.

As for enjoying the gig, it depends on the gig. I can't say I enjoyed the music at recent Michael Bublé or Leona Lewis shows, but I still enjoy taking images all the same. That's what earplugs are for Wink If it's a band or performer I like, I may have a couple of beverages and try to relax into it. Wink Quite often though, especially at larger venues, photographers are ejected from the premises after they've had their 3 songs and at festivals I'm normally too busy rushing from stage to stage and to my laptop to edit/send.

At Hammerfest this weekend, I only saw the whole set of one band, but photographed over 40. That was Satyricon, by the way. They were excellent!

I find it hard to pick out a photographer I admire the most, especially amongst my contemporaries, as there are so many good photographers, and good people out there who I often meet at gigs and festivals throughout the year. I couldn't possibly list them all, plus I'd feel bad if I missed someone out Tongue

Through my photo editor's position at DrownedinSound, I work with a lot of excellent photographers assigning their gigs and helping to sort passes. I get real satisfaction from seeing the work some of the guys produce, often under difficult conditions.

ade_mcfade
21 Mar 2011 - 10:56 PM

Where do you do most of your work?

Do you ever get to Leeds - I ask because Leeds "live" scene is pretty poor compared with the rest of the major cities.

theorderingone
22 Mar 2011 - 12:47 AM

I cover the northern triangle of cities, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds mostly.

The Leeds live scene is very vibrant... granted Leeds lacks an arena-sized venue, but I doubt you really wanted to see Justin Bieber anyway?

The Brudenell Social club is a gem of a venue, the cockpit put on some great gigs, there's the well as well, and the academy are booking some very interesting acts too. The UNiversity are putting on more and more gigs also!

you also have Live at Leeds Festival next month, which is great for catching up and coming bands, Damnation Festival in the winter for the heavier end of metal, and of course the Leeds end of the Leeds/Reading weekend.

I'd pop over to Leeds more if it didn't take nearly an hour and a half to do a 40 minute journey on the train late at night.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.