Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Member of the Week - theorderingone - 21st March - 28th March 2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Metalhead
Metalhead  71878 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2011 - 11:28 AM

There's not many other gig photographers on EPZ. When you look through the gallery what kind of images grab your attention? What do you look for and what generally do you vote on/comment on?

Do you use the filters or just browse through from page 1?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Mar 2011 - 11:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Coles
23 Mar 2011 - 11:48 AM

I have tried the band stuff locally but its blinking hard so hats off to you.

A lot of the pics you take seem to be of rock/metal bands, is this by accident or design?

bfgstew
bfgstew  8668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2011 - 12:09 PM

Over the years the big Rock bands, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush and the like, have upped the stage and light shows. Out of all the big ones who are your favourites for stage presence and for light shows?

theorderingone
23 Mar 2011 - 12:53 PM

Quote: You carry a few fast primes, have you ever considered adding a lensbaby to your collection.

I have used a Lensbaby briefly, and it was a lot of fun, but for my band work I just don't think it would be suitable, especially if they move fast/erratically, as confirming focus visually can often be difficult under stage lights.

Quote: There's not many other gig photographers on EPZ. When you look through the gallery what kind of images grab your attention? What do you look for and what generally do you vote on/comment on?

Do you use the filters or just browse through from page 1?

I don't have much time nowadays for looking through the gallery like I might've done in the past. I sometimes search for music shots, but like you said, there aren't many on here.

Bright, colourful images tend to catch my eye, whether they be landscapes, architecture or whatever. I also like to try and deconstruct the lighting on stuff taken with portable flashes outdoors, as that's something I like to experiments with too.

Quote: I have tried the band stuff locally but its blinking hard so hats off to you.

A lot of the pics you take seem to be of rock/metal bands, is this by accident or design?

I shoot anything and everything, music-wise anyway. I tend to find my images of rock & metal bands tend to be my favourites, probably as they're generally more lively on stage than your usual indie or pop act.

Quote: Over the years the big Rock bands, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush and the like, have upped the stage and light shows. Out of all the big ones who are your favourites for stage presence and for light shows?

Kiss put on an amazing show, as did Rob Zombie when I photographed him the other week. Pyros are always fun on stage. The heat you feel from them is something else when close by!

My absolute favourite lighting show is that of Neurosis (who aren't really a big band). One of the band members is a visual artist, so they play lit entirely by his visuals, which are projected over the stage. The first time I saw them live, was at Hove Festival in Norway on the Amfi Stage. This stage is set in a natural amphitheatre in the woods, so when I'd finished snapping from the pit, I wandered up the hill at the back to take in the visuals and the atmosphere. It was bloody brilliant! Here's a video of them performing live, even though it's a really poor quality video, just watching that makes the hairs stand up on my neck. They're such an intense live band. You may also notice, they're a nightmare to photograph!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315620 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2011 - 5:42 PM

Whats been the strangest and most challenging event for you so far for getting pictures.

theorderingone
23 Mar 2011 - 7:15 PM

Strangest?

I'm not entirely sure. Probably having to stay out of the line of sight of Patti Smith when I photographed her at ATP festival a couple of years ago, although I've had plenty of other restrictions like that. Apparently she doesn't like photographers in her view or somehting like that anyway.

For example, Nick Cave only allows photographers for the first song, which nearly all the lights are turned down for. When I shot Mastodon, their tour manager requested we shot the last three songs, instead of the usual first three, as the band feel they look better when properly into their swing and proper sweaty.

The most challenging gig is a difficult one... there's been so many that could qualify for one reason or another. A coupld that spring to mind... 1349 at the corporation in sheffield a few years ago were lit entirely by strobe lights (apart from a couple of weak blue lights behind them). Monotonix at Les Eurockeenes Festival played in the crowd, so apart from shooting from within the mosh, the singer kept crowd surfing. I got this shot shortly before he landed on me, giving me a slight concussion.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315620 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2011 - 7:28 PM

Strangest?

For me it was this, by day gigs in bright sunlight with absolutely no shade, by night tiny pubs and bars that where totally rammed, extremely fun though Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLIPalNJE3k&feature=related

Only wish there was more of this type Smile

theorderingone
23 Mar 2011 - 9:05 PM

Haha, the narrow boat is certainly a stranger venue than I've aver shot in. I've shot a few in churches and in high street shops, but never on a boat.

Oh in fact, once a year Drowned in Sound Events organises a gig at a roller disco in Sheffield, which is a lot of fun...

black-lips-0014.jpg
rollerpaloozaii-010.jpg

Last Modified By theorderingone at 23 Mar 2011 - 9:09 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
23 Mar 2011 - 11:57 PM

have you ever done any Light Graffiti?

theorderingone
24 Mar 2011 - 1:44 AM

Light painting... yes, but I'm not sure what you mean by grafitti.

Paul Morgan
24 Mar 2011 - 2:52 AM

Quote: Haha, the narrow boat is certainly a stranger venue than I've aver shot in. I've shot a few in churches and in high street shops, but never on a boat

From the roof not inside, far too cramped.

Got to admit, first time I`ve seen roller skates used in this way Smile

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 8:42 AM

What inspires the "look" for your shots, the music, the characters in the group or something entirely different?

On a separate tack, how's your hearing after the barrage of sound you must have experienced over the years ? Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Mar 2011 - 8:42 AM

Quote: Light painting... yes, but I'm not sure what you mean by grafitti.

it's that stuff yellow munky does - you draw with torches, usually things like flower, aliens etc .

was in Kirkheaton showing a camera club how to do it this evening - they loved it

theorderingone
24 Mar 2011 - 1:27 PM

Quote: What inspires the "look" for your shots, the music, the characters in the group or something entirely different?

On a separate tack, how's your hearing after the barrage of sound you must have experienced over the years ?

To be honest, I'm never quite conscious of creating a 'look' with my images, it's more a case of producing the best images I can under the circumstances. I think colour is really important, as I think it helps to convey the atmosphere of the stage, so I'm always conscious of the lighting behind the artist, to try and capture as much of that as possible.

As for my hearing, I used to have really bad tinnitus, but that has subsided over the past few years due to me using decent quality earplugs. If you're going to be subjected to high noise levels, I can't stress enough how important hearing protection is. Sensorcom are the place I buy my earplugs from, they doa fantastic range for decent prices.

Quote: it's that stuff yellow munky does - you draw with torches, usually things like flower, aliens etc .

was in Kirkheaton showing a camera club how to do it this evening - they loved it

Cool. I might look that up and have an experiment next time I'm out on a jaunt Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.