Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Member of the Week - Week 1 - G6DDS (Iain Geddes)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
CathyI
CathyI e2 Member 9344 forum postsCathyI vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Nov 2010 - 9:08 PM

Definitely agree with you on "ipod"! Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Nov 2010 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Nov 2010 - 12:19 AM

Quote: Maybe once i've figured out how to take good pictures with just my camera i will progress to off camera flash stuff.

They go hand in hand really - flash off camera used well just adds to what you're doing with the camera, Opens so many doors unavailable to the natural light shooter.

That should wind up the natural light shooter no end Wink

Anyway - that's not a question...

errr...

How do you handle quiet models.. the ones that just don't talk or just answer with one word?

G6DDS
G6DDS e2 Member 5231 forum postsG6DDS vcard Scotland
25 Nov 2010 - 12:57 AM

I try to stay away from that kind of model. I find most of my models on facebook just now and try to speak to them as much as possible on there a few weeks before shooting to get to know them, that way we have a good relationship before shooting.
If however someone is quiet i just tell them they are doing a great job and keep showing them the images on the back of my camera to try and build up thier confidence and make them feel special. Either that or i just goof around and try to make them laugh. Finding a common interest beforehand makes it easier to talk to them too.

miyaguchi
miyaguchi  4136 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Nov 2010 - 9:46 AM

Hope your employers kept you fully employed last night because there was a lack of questions to keep you occupied during your tea breaks.

I would like to find models to practise some strobist lighting techniques, hiring models from professional websites you already have to have a portfolio to upload so it is a bit of a catch 22 situation. When you say you find models on Facebook - How?

Last Modified By miyaguchi at 26 Nov 2010 - 9:47 AM
G6DDS
26 Nov 2010 - 3:38 PM

I have created a facebook page purely for my photography, add as many people as i can and view their profiles to see what they are into. A lot of girls have facebook pages for modeling so simply send them private messages asking if they would like to do a shoot.

miyaguchi
27 Nov 2010 - 10:01 AM

Things have dried up somewhat. But according to my calculations Iain's time is up, sighs of relief from Dundee I hear. Wink

I thought the theory behind this Group was member of the WEEK.

Iain was put under the spotlight on the 19 Nov and -
Quote: from now till next Monday (thats the 3/12/10)

In my diary one week from the 19th Nov is the 26th which was yesterday and the 3/12/10 is a Friday and not a Monday. Smile

What do say Iain?

G6DDS
27 Nov 2010 - 11:44 AM

Things have dried up, thought i would have been asked a lot more questions.

I think we agreed i would get a little longer as i was the first.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
27 Nov 2010 - 12:31 PM

maybe we should have discussed and debated a bit more - rather than just a question, then an answer, then next question. That could keep things moving along.

So I guess to follow up on the "quiet model" issue, must admit that I've had good banter on-line THEN met THEN had quiet shoots! DOH

I've had a second shoot with Arran, he's really keen, lots of ideas - I don't pose him at all, just let him get on with it and I position the lights and occasionally move him for technical reasons (shadows etc.)

But even with the uber-quiet, you can show them shots, talk about what you're doing and STILL get very little back from them.. maybe it's the new TFCD models I've shot, I know experienced ones that never shut up, they're ace. Love that, you can just say "yeah" now and then, concentrating on the shots without having to strain some conversation out.

miyaguchi
27 Nov 2010 - 12:57 PM

Quote: maybe we should have discussed and debated a bit more

My sentiments exactly - to a degree. To much debating though and the Member of the Week could end up being left in the background - forgotten - forlorn and foroughly p***ed off. Just like now, especially if he is not on line.Smile

Quote: speak... a few weeks before shooting to get to know them

Sometimes it could be a case of differing personalities, Ian do you find that your method works every time?

Or like Ade
Quote: STILL get very little back from them

G6DDS
27 Nov 2010 - 3:35 PM

I've only had 3 shoots with 3 different models at the moment and been lucky with the 3 of them really.
Caoimhe has tried out for BNTM and a few other things so she knew what she was doing. Got another shoot with her soon. Was so easy with her, she didn't need any direction and moved into a different pose straight after she heard the shutter.
Julie was quiet to begin with but after showing her a few shots and telling her what i was after she got into it.

My methods won't always work and if i do ever get a quiet model that just won't speak then i wouldn't book them again, even if they took great pictures!

miyaguchi
28 Nov 2010 - 1:49 PM

Me again Iain, been drowning my sorrows after watching the England/South Africa rugby match, uplifted though after getting my head off the pillow to see the England cricket score from the Ashes (surprised there is no thread for the Ashes just have to stick with the boring old football).

Anyway keep looking back at the uploaded photo on page 2 and as someone who is tinkering continuously on PS and working on the following theory.....

Quote: are flattered if you ask them how you did something - especially on here

What manipulations were carried out on the shot?

G6DDS
28 Nov 2010 - 1:58 PM

Here is a side by side picture for comparison.
kimberly-edited-1.jpg

G6DDS
28 Nov 2010 - 2:01 PM

A texture for the door, floor and parts of her skin. Painted eyes white and added an outer glow effect. Some burning on her cheek to darken the makeup. Final touch was a blue filter over the whole pic.

miyaguchi
28 Nov 2010 - 2:24 PM

I love this sort of stuff, and am creating a 2011 family portrait calendar using various subtle effects but when I showed the partner the results she wasn't up for hanging it on the wall. Sad

Are you savvy enough with the digital editing software you use to know what the outcome of a particular effect is going to look like or is it trial and error?

Love the eyes yet think perhaps extreme tinted pupils could be a option, do you know the model if so what did she think of the finished article?

G6DDS
28 Nov 2010 - 5:29 PM

I have this printed and hung on my wall.

Don't know the model, was a picture i got from internet. It's pussycat doll Kim.

I know most of the outcomes of effects when i'm away to use them. Also like to try new ones and see if i can create something different.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.