Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Members' Count(r)ies Directory

IanFlindt e2
10 739 21 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 3:55PM
Would it be possible to introduce an option (but not a requirement) for members to enter their county or country name (perhaps including state/region names for overseas members), and then create directories listing those counties/countries? I'm frequently surprised by the discovery of "neighbours" who've been on EPZ for some time. It might improve communications between fellow county members; and it could also be useful if you're seeking inspiration or new locations in your area.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NickParry e2
9 1.0k 79 Wales
14 Sep 2007 4:20PM
I have thought that would be a good idea myself. We have country flags, but agree that finding people in your locality would be even better. Nick
simont 10 2.2k 4 England
14 Sep 2007 4:22PM
Ian,

So whereabouts in Liechtenstein are you?
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
14 Sep 2007 4:28PM
The Country option is already there, which is what makes the flags work.

But as you see, most people don't (or won't) fill it in correctly.
Sad
IanFlindt e2
10 739 21 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 4:49PM

Quote:So whereabouts in Liechtenstein are you?

Hi Simon, In a village east of Ruggell. As I'm typing I can - if I lean back and twist my head a little to the left - just see the late afternoon sun sparkling on the Rhine. And if I twist my head a little to the right, I can just see across the border into Austria.

Lovely weather here today. What's it like in England?
simont 10 2.2k 4 England
14 Sep 2007 5:03PM
Ian, Cold and overcast as usual.
IanFlindt e2
10 739 21 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2007 5:05PM
The country identifier is a good facility, Doug, but I was wondering if we could expand it to include counties/regions. So, by clicking on the Members drop-down list you could select a counties/countries directories which in turn would provide you with a list of members located in those counties or regions.
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
14 Sep 2007 5:43PM
You could always use the report facility to put it forward as a suggestion.

I do wonder how useful it would be though given that a lot of people list their country incorrectly on purpose.
If everybody used it correctly, then it could be very useful.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
14 Sep 2007 5:47PM
It's all on the todo list. First stage was countries (it got abused) Second stage postcode (people don't fill them in) As a result the region thing got drop down our priority list.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
14 Sep 2007 5:54PM

Quote:Second stage postcode (people don't fill them in)

But the reasoning behind this, I recall, was to be able to target members' with specific "localised" adverts ?

That is why I am reluctant to enter my Postcode.
Hoffy e2
10 257 16 England
14 Sep 2007 5:54PM
I don't remember seeing a postcode thing. Must admit I will fill in.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
14 Sep 2007 5:56PM

Quote:But the reasoning behind this, I recall, was to be able to target members' with specific "localised" adverts ?

The main reason was we planned to bring the locations guides, members meetings, exhibitions etc in to regions so you can look up stuff in your region or look up events in regions you are intending to visit.
NickParry e2
9 1.0k 79 Wales
14 Sep 2007 8:54PM
Those are the reasons they would be valuable. Nick

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.