Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

members E-mail adresses

sinargee e2
12 245
22 Aug 2003 11:10PM
Pete
At one time you had members e-mail adresses in their profiles, but now I can't find them. Have they gone, it was handy if you wanted to contact a member off site. Like details for the forthcoming Northwest meet up.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
22 Aug 2003 11:21PM
I believe they were removed after some members started getting unwelcome emails. That is why I have been pressing for Private Messaging on the forum.
23 Aug 2003 5:57AM
It would be nice to be able to contact members privately - particularly if someone is offering some advice that is not necessarily relevant to anyone else or perhaps of much interest to the general readers.

Is it particularly hard to set up Carabosse as you are obviously a chap that is familiar with the running of forums :o)
mad-dogs e2
12 2.2k England
23 Aug 2003 8:17AM
Perhaps it should be an option in your profile to display or hide your e-mail address.
grahammul e2
11 120 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2003 9:03AM
I use a secondary free E-mail address in my profile. Any problems and I can dump it. I also select it via URL not Outlook Express. The free account I use is from www.mail.com
Cheers,
Graham.
PS no problems so far.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Aug 2003 12:35PM
I think Pete has indicated that Private Messaging is possible but I don't think it's high on the list of priorities. Hopefully he will see this and respond!

The other way is, as Mad-Dogs as indicated, to have an option to display or hide the email address. I am happy to have my email address on the forum. I am involved with several forums and I have a web-based email address which I use only for forum stuff.

Actually I don't use Outlook/Outlook Express for email at all as that is one of the best ways of getting a computer virus!!

I agree with Graham about www.mail.com - but I have also found an excellent web-based mail service at www.myezmail.com (spam/junk mail free!) I don't recommend Hotmail!

naturenut e2
12 1.8k England
23 Aug 2003 1:28PM
If you are happy to display your email address it can be added to your profile, just type it into 'about you'
23 Aug 2003 5:23PM
Good point Meggsy. Smile)
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Aug 2003 6:03PM
Rather than having to type your email address (again) in your profile it would be better to have it in the profile anyway with the option to turn it off. That is the norm in many forums.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
23 Aug 2003 9:41PM
We originally had a system where you could add your email address but when it was available it caused problems for some members when some sent hate mail. We decided to remove the email from public view to prevent this. We will be introducing a new secure method at a later stage.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.