Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Memory card advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2010 - 12:29 PM

I'm looking at buying some larger memory cards for my Canon 350d. Does anybody know what the maximum card size this will support

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Aug 2010 - 12:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
    lawbert  71686 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2010 - 12:35 PM

Im not 100% certain but I believe you should be able to put any size card in the 350d.
    I used to use an 8gb card in my 350d.

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2010 - 12:46 PM

If you go on to Picstop's site I think there is a compatibility checker.

BarrieNeilPhotography

What size cards are you thjinking of?

Maybe it is just me because of my 'belt and braces' atttitude to photography, but I try to make a balance between convenience and risk erring on the side of risk (i.e. what if the card fails with all my precious photos on it). I tend to use 4Gb cards or sometimes 8 (I tend to use 8 in thje D3X 'cos of the enormous file sizes). It's not that difficult or slow a process to chnage a card and for me, mitigates the risk of disc failure. 4Gb cards from the 'good' brands can often be picked up at very competitive prices Smile

Just a thought.

thewilliam
    29 Aug 2010 - 4:41 PM

It also depends on what sort of photography you intend to do.

The latest very fast cards will be essential to a sports photographer using a high-speed "motordrive" but don't give any advantage to a studio-based portrait photographer like me. Any CF card seems to work in my D3 cameras, from my 8 year old Delkin Pro (that are a massive 640MB, but cost about GBP350) to the newest and fastest.

I read somewhere that more than half of the "SanDisk" cards on the market are actually fakes! Buy from a reputable supplier.

BarrieNeilPhotography

I remember paying over 350 for a 1Mb IBM Microdrive.. mind you,. my Nikon D1X (one of the first in the country) cost the princely sum of 7200; you could get 2 D3s's for that!!!!

Oh those were the days Grin

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 29 Aug 2010 - 6:32 PM
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2010 - 6:37 PM

Thanks for all your help I was thinking of getting a couple of 8gb cards as I am now mainly shooting raw.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    29 Aug 2010 - 7:08 PM

Quote: The latest very fast cards will be essential to a sports photographer

Thats what the card makers would want you to believe, the reality is that it is unlikely you will be ably to exploit full capability of the fastest cards. I use Lexar 233X UDMA cards in my 7D and they can keep up with everything the 7D throws at them so buying much more expensive 600X cards would just be chucking money away.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014482 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2010 - 7:30 PM

I use 8gb Sandisk Ultra II, and they're fine for what I'm doing. Approximately 324 images in RAW format on a 14.6mp camera.

BigRick
    BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2010 - 10:18 PM

Thats what the card makers would want you to believe, the reality is that it is unlikely you will be ably to exploit full capability of the fastest cards. I use Lexar 233X UDMA cards in my 7D and they can keep up with everything the 7D throws at them so buying much more expensive 600X cards would just be chucking money away.

i have used the 'slower' cards, and they do not keep up with action/sports work if shooting 7fps for any time. The wait for the pictures to move out of the buffer can be too long.

LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2010 - 10:47 PM

I've found with my camera that if I use Raw and Jpeg the buffer drops significantly, and having a fast card really does make a difference then. I started using my Extreme IIIs, but found they couldn't keep up, so upgraded to the Lexar 600xs and can now make use of all of that buffer with no delays writing to the card before continuing to shot.

Not that I have to use a sequence of 17 shots very often (maybe a dozen times in th 6 months I've had the camera).

For the OP's 350d, the camera will have an upper write speed anyway, so its unlikely to get much advance from anything faster than a 30MB/s or 233x.

DuncanDisorderly

The main advantage of faster cards is that when used with a decent card reader the images get down to the PC much faster.
    Cameras are beginning to make use of faster cards but for normal use in a normal camera it wont make any difference.

Back in the early days I lost images on a couple of cheapie cards - since then I've always used Sandisk Extreme series as they are not just faster, the internals are much more rugged; it's worth reading up on the differences. I've never had an Extreme card fail on me.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.