Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

memory card for 5d mark 2 .......

4 Feb 2012 2:38PM
................. so many around, what would you recommend in way of quality ?
looking in Jessops - Sandisc 4gb extreme cf card 31.96. Ebay - sandisc 8 gb 30 ? CF, SD, SDHC ??? which one
thanx
paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
4 Feb 2012 4:20PM
Jessops and e-bay are the worst possible places to buy cards from. Jessops, for their over-inflated prices. E-bay, for the huge proportion of fakes.
Any card from a well known manufacturer will be fine, i.e. Sandisk, Kingston, Transcend, etc. etc.
4GB's aren't really worth bothering with if you shoot a fair bit, 16Gb cards are a better, and more cost effective option. IMO.
ikett e2
4 372 England
4 Feb 2012 5:08PM
justin c is spot on, the 5D Mark 2 can only use CF or Compact Flash cards, I have several Kingston cards and never a problem.
Chaitanya e2
5 14 1 India
4 Feb 2012 5:25PM
@ikett: even though 5D mk II needs CF cards, you can get a CF adapter for SD cards (pretty much like micro SD to SD). I haven't tried one but from the reviews, performance isn't as good as entry level CF cards from reputed manufacturers like Lexar, Sandisk or Kingston. apart from that justin C is spot on.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
4 Feb 2012 5:48PM
This is where you go for memory cards , No matter what format, As Justin has said 16Gb are cost effective, The Sandisk " Ultra " model is a good example, Though do check the prices, Sometimes when there are offers on, You can get 2 X 8Gb samples of this model, Cheaper than one 16Gb item, I guess its a supply & demand thing that explains the pricing structures.

Whatever we use a number of these Sandisk Ultra types, Not had any problems what so ever, Used in a mix of Canon 5D MkII & Nikon D700 cameras etc....Grin

EDIT: Forget Jessops, Don't take chances with " FleaBay Fakes ".....Wink
freck 5 19 England
4 Feb 2012 6:29PM
If you'd have bought an e2 membership recently you could have won an 8Gb Lexar Professional CF card for free..... like I did Grin

Chuffed to bits Grin
BTW, have a look at 7 Day Shop, they often have some great offers and have free, fast delivery.

Steve.
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2012 9:18PM
I have bought a few at good prices from here
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Satiety-Memory-Limited/Compact-Flash-Memory-Card-/_i.html?_fsub=1573996015&_sid=871479815&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I rang sandisk and verified the numbers too and they are not selling fakes Smile
UKmac e2
9 4 Scotland
5 Feb 2012 9:05AM
If you'd have bought an e2 membership recently you could have won an 8Gb Lexar Professional CF card for free..... like I did

Same here...........
stomp e2
13 203 England
6 Feb 2012 6:49AM
My advice would be forget 16GB Lexar Premium Series 200x. I changed from Scandisk Extreme 8GB 30Mb/s and since doing so have for the first time of ownership of my 5D MkII's run into problems of having the buffer full and having to wait for it to write to card. I have the latest firmware etc.

Steve
stomp e2
13 203 England
9 Feb 2012 6:32PM
But a SDHC card will not fit the Canon 5D MK II. And how large are the files you are saving. The 5D RAW files are from 7Mb to 10Mb each and as such put a lot of strain on the write to card speed.

Steve
SueEley e2
8 271 96 Wales
9 Feb 2012 6:40PM

Quote:But a SDHC card will not fit the Canon 5D MK II. And how large are the files you are saving. The 5D RAW files are from 7Mb to 10Mb each and as such put a lot of strain on the write to card speed.

Steve

But I understand from my research into how to get CF info into an ipad that you can get adapters that allow you to put an sdhc card into a CF housing into a camera. Sounds a bit dodge to me, and I am wondering if anyone has experience. Sue
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2012 8:47PM
The adapter for the iPad excepts only Sd cards and the only to connect the 5d will be via a cable to the USB connection on the adapter ,it's not a cf housing but a Sd housing only! There is no compromise, it's Cf cards only
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2012 10:32PM

Quote:you can get adapters that allow you to put an sdhc card into a CF housing into a camera

You can and people have bought them so they can use Eye-Fi cards (which are SD type) in cameras like the 5D II that need CF. Some say they are unreliable though.
14 Feb 2012 6:42AM
But a SDHC card will not fit the Canon 5D MK II. And how large are the files you are saving. The 5D RAW files are from 7Mb to 10Mb each and as such put a lot of strain on the write to card speed.

Steve
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2012 10:35AM
Paul, you've probably purchased by now?

I bought one of these ages ago, then another last summer and now I've got three. At 16gb find them just the right size for my 5D Mk II, they don't get full too quickly, are fast (for stills and video) are reliable and are good value (cheaper than the ultra-hyped brands and less likely to be counterfeited).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.