Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

memory card for 5d mark 2 .......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    swanseajack41

................. so many around, what would you recommend in way of quality ?
    looking in Jessops - Sandisc 4gb extreme cf card 31.96. Ebay - sandisc 8 gb 30 ? CF, SD, SDHC ??? which one
    thanx
    paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Feb 2012 - 2:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104528 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Feb 2012 - 4:20 PM

Jessops and e-bay are the worst possible places to buy cards from. Jessops, for their over-inflated prices. E-bay, for the huge proportion of fakes.
    Any card from a well known manufacturer will be fine, i.e. Sandisk, Kingston, Transcend, etc. etc.
    4GB's aren't really worth bothering with if you shoot a fair bit, 16Gb cards are a better, and more cost effective option. IMO.

Last Modified By justin c at 4 Feb 2012 - 4:21 PM
    ikett
    ikett  4351 forum posts England
    4 Feb 2012 - 5:08 PM

justin c is spot on, the 5D Mark 2 can only use CF or Compact Flash cards, I have several Kingston cards and never a problem.

Last Modified By ikett at 4 Feb 2012 - 5:09 PM
    Chaitanya
    Chaitanya  4 India1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Feb 2012 - 5:25 PM

@ikett: even though 5D mk II needs CF cards, you can get a CF adapter for SD cards (pretty much like micro SD to SD). I haven't tried one but from the reviews, performance isn't as good as entry level CF cards from reputed manufacturers like Lexar, Sandisk or Kingston. apart from that justin C is spot on.

Last Modified By Chaitanya at 4 Feb 2012 - 5:25 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Feb 2012 - 5:48 PM

This is where you go for memory cards, No matter what format, As Justin has said 16Gb are cost effective, The Sandisk " Ultra " model is a good example, Though do check the prices, Sometimes when there are offers on, You can get 2 X 8Gb samples of this model, Cheaper than one 16Gb item, I guess its a supply & demand thing that explains the pricing structures.

Whatever we use a number of these Sandisk Ultra types, Not had any problems what so ever, Used in a mix of Canon 5D MkII & Nikon D700 cameras etc....Grin

EDIT: Forget Jessops, Don't take chances with " FleaBay Fakes ".....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 4 Feb 2012 - 5:50 PM
    freck
    freck  5 England
    4 Feb 2012 - 6:29 PM

If you'd have bought an e2 membership recently you could have won an 8Gb Lexar Professional CF card for free..... like I did Grin

Chuffed to bits Grin
    BTW, have a look at 7 Day Shop, they often have some great offers and have free, fast delivery.

Steve.

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Feb 2012 - 9:18 PM

I have bought a few at good prices from here
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Satiety-Memory-Limited/Compact-Flash-Memory-Card-/_i.ht...

I rang sandisk and verified the numbers too and they are not selling fakes Smile

UKmac
    UKmac e2 Member 9UKmac vcard Scotland
    5 Feb 2012 - 9:05 AM

If you'd have bought an e2 membership recently you could have won an 8Gb Lexar Professional CF card for free..... like I did

Same here...........

stomp
    stomp  13203 forum posts England
    6 Feb 2012 - 6:49 AM

My advice would be forget 16GB Lexar Premium Series 200x. I changed from Scandisk Extreme 8GB 30Mb/s and since doing so have for the first time of ownership of my 5D MkII's run into problems of having the buffer full and having to wait for it to write to card. I have the latest firmware etc.

Steve

stomp
    stomp  13203 forum posts England
    9 Feb 2012 - 6:32 PM

But a SDHC card will not fit the Canon 5D MK II. And how large are the files you are saving. The 5D RAW files are from 7Mb to 10Mb each and as such put a lot of strain on the write to card speed.

Steve

SueEley
    SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2012 - 6:40 PM

Quote: But a SDHC card will not fit the Canon 5D MK II. And how large are the files you are saving. The 5D RAW files are from 7Mb to 10Mb each and as such put a lot of strain on the write to card speed.

Steve

But I understand from my research into how to get CF info into an ipad that you can get adapters that allow you to put an sdhc card into a CF housing into a camera. Sounds a bit dodge to me, and I am wondering if anyone has experience. Sue

KevSB
    KevSB  101408 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2012 - 8:47 PM

The adapter for the iPad excepts only Sd cards and the only to connect the 5d will be via a cable to the USB connection on the adapter ,it's not a cf housing but a Sd housing only! There is no compromise, it's Cf cards only

Last Modified By KevSB at 9 Feb 2012 - 8:48 PM
    User_Removed
    9 Feb 2012 - 10:32 PM

Quote: you can get adapters that allow you to put an sdhc card into a CF housing into a camera

You can and people have bought them so they can use Eye-Fi cards (which are SD type) in cameras like the 5D II that need CF. Some say they are unreliable though.

cashare1234
    14 Feb 2012 - 6:42 AM

But a SDHC card will not fit the Canon 5D MK II. And how large are the files you are saving. The 5D RAW files are from 7Mb to 10Mb each and as such put a lot of strain on the write to card speed.

Steve

User_Removed
    14 Feb 2012 - 10:35 AM

Paul, you've probably purchased by now?

I bought one of these ages ago, then another last summer and now I've got three. At 16gb find them just the right size for my 5D Mk II, they don't get full too quickly, are fast (for stills and video) are reliable and are good value (cheaper than the ultra-hyped brands and less likely to be counterfeited).

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.