Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Memory Card Issue

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pablophotographer

Hello everybody.

I am relatively new in the digital world of picture taking, I think things were simpler when we only used film.
    I would like your help regarding an issue I have faced with the Optima SDHC memory card 8gb I have.

I had taken some pictures for a group project for a class I am attending with a Panasonic DMC-FZ45 superzoom camera (neither the card nor the camera had failed me before - got them about a year ago approximately). I wanted to share them with class mates and because the file was too big to send altogether a classmate asked me the card, which was working fine until that moment, to upload it to a place where the other members could download the pics they wanted. As he inserted the SD card in the memory slot reader of his Toshiba laptop he told me that he couldn't see the card. Took it out, inserted it again, no result. Passed it to another fellow student, same make of laptop (Toshiba is the creator of SD cards) which it could not read it either.

I took the memory card back worried and inserted it in the camera. It was not recognised by it, camera brought a warning that the pictures taken will be recorded in the internal camera memory. I took the card and placed it in the memory card slot of the Toshiba laptop I have been given. My laptop could read all the pictures. I copied the memory card contents. I tested if I could see the pictures from the camera for several days, but without sucess, before I post my question here.

I have subsequently formated the card, hoping that this could fix the problem, but the situation remains the same as before. The camera cannot read this card, while it can read other memory cards I have tried. What do you advise?

Thanks in advance for your help and replies.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Mar 2012 - 7:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2012 - 8:53 PM

Don't take chances with suspect memory cards, They are not that expensive to replace.

Throw your defective item in a bin.....Smile

Then buy a new one made by a recognised brand like Sandisk, This supplier is top notch and very competitive......Wink

Never heard of the Optima brand, Not sure I want to either......!!!

User_Removed
    13 Mar 2012 - 9:37 PM

As above

Photographs are too precious to risk on unknown cards by unknown manufacturers.

Memory is now so cheap that it makes sense to invest in the best.

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3772 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2012 - 10:14 PM

I received a formatting error from my Panasonic LX5 when I attempted to shoot video for the very first time the other day. Both camera and card are relatively new, the card is a recognised make and of the right standard.

Every one including me were puzzled, until the guy running our local independent camera shop suggested I formatted the card in-camera after downloading the photographs to my PC.

It worked .....all is fine now.

Hobbo

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93485 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    14 Mar 2012 - 7:57 AM

...on my desk is an old plastic ice cream carton full of bits and pieces, among them a 1 gb. compact flash card I never did use.
    .....purchased a few short years ago for 50..... be grateful

Quote: I formatted the card in-camera after downloading the photographs to my PC.

......always format the card in camera...never on the computer.

steveh5
    steveh5  371 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Mar 2012 - 9:07 AM

SD cards have a lock switch on the side, it can easily be pushed locking the card. it can cause odd results but easy to check.
    If you cant format it in camera and cant work out the problem chuck it, new cards are relatively cheap and usually fairly robust.
    I use sandisk bacause two years ago I had an accident with a camera in a waterproof housing, It leaked causing salt water to flood the entire system, the camera died instantly but the card is still going strong after a good clean water wash and some time to dry.

pablophotographer

Thank you all for the time taken to answer this. I do have a Sandisk card, Optima was the back up one. I would have formatted the card in the camera, if it was recognised by it. Luckily the pictures were retrieved. MikeRC what makes formatting the card in the computer dangerous?

User_Removed
    14 Mar 2012 - 11:06 PM

It's not that it is dangerous - simply that it is always better to format any card in the device in which it is going to be used. Then you know it is formatted correctly for that device.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.