Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Memory Card Puzzle

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2012 - 12:18 PM

I've been using an Integral 16Gb Class 10 SD card for a while and decided to buy a couple more.

My original card has always shown an actual capacity of 15.1Gb, but the new cards only 14.8Gb. I have formatted all 3 cards in the same camera, but to no avail.

Anyone else had this experience? Should I do anything about it?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jan 2012 - 12:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NikLG
    NikLG  81736 forum posts England
    5 Jan 2012 - 12:37 PM

Quote: Should I do anything about it?

Take smaller pictures....

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1215508 forum posts England
    5 Jan 2012 - 12:51 PM

It's an austerity measure. Due to the current economic state, the number of Mb in a Gb has been reduced. You need the firmware upgrade so your camera knows about the change.

Wink

Heretic
    Heretic  8 United Kingdom
    5 Jan 2012 - 12:57 PM

Probably not. This is an old confusion that comes about by the computer trade calling a Kb (Kilobyte) 1024 bytes (comes from binary number system), whereas others refer to a Kb as 1000 bytes. When this gets multiplied up to Gigabytes the error can be quite large. i.e. in computer speak a Megbyte is 1024 Kb not 1,000,000. Irrespective of this you will also lose some space on the card for it's internal housekeeping (directories or folders) so that it knows where to find each of your pictures. Hope this helps.

Last Modified By Heretic at 5 Jan 2012 - 12:58 PM
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2012 - 2:05 PM

The point is that I have 3 supposedly identical cards, all formatted on the same camera. Two of them are showing a different actual capacity to the third. (I'm well aware that you never get the full stated capacity.)

It is possible, I guess, that the new cards are not genuine Integral cards. I have noticed the label colour is blue, as in the pic, below rather than red as in my original card and as also shown on the relevant Amazon page.

If fake, the cards might fail on me.... and that is a bigger concern really.,

img-0221.jpg

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2012 - 2:21 PM

Perhaps they have 'upgraded' the cards, CB - all improvements are for the worse! Wink

AndyMurdo
    AndyMurdo  831 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2012 - 2:52 PM

Hi Caraboss, Problem could be caused by Integra modifiing their spec for the manufacturing of these cards, also it's a posibility that they do not make the cards themselves, but use a third party manufacturer and just put their own lable on the outside, this kind of thing is very common these days across many industies including the photographic, if they do, they might have changed supplier and have had to modify the cards to suit. Agin this is not uncommon, If you obtained your cards from a reputable supplier I would not worry too much, if still not sure you could go to the Integra website, click on the contact us button and send them an email with your quriey, if they are fake i'm sure the would want to know as much as you do. hope that helps.
    Regards
    Andy

Carabosse
    5 Jan 2012 - 5:30 PM

Thanks for the comments, all.

I have emailed Integral and will see what they say. If these cards are in fact fake, I'm sure Amazon too will want to know about it!

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2012 - 8:23 PM

I don't buy cards online for that reason - the stories of Amazon suppliers sending cards that are onviously fake are too many and given the card lasts (hoepfully) several years I can't be bothered saving the price difference.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214395 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2012 - 8:46 PM

The variation could be down to tolerances and different batches, or manufactured in different factories using different materials, it could be down to a lot of things, 0.3 GB on a16 GB card is not that great and I would be surprised if the card turned out to be fake,

Carabosse
    6 Jan 2012 - 5:49 PM

Ok, just for completemess, this is Integral's response:

Quote:

We can confirm that the cards are from Integral. There has been a design change on the label.

On the formatting side the actual amount left after formatting can vary from manufacturer and from controller to controller version. The missing capacity is used for the file system table and other functions E.g The controller will “put aside ” a number of good blocks. As the card is used some blocks after time may not function as well. The controller will then replace the block with a good block. Formatting can “take” around 6-9% of the capacity.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214395 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jan 2012 - 5:55 PM

AS I thought CB.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.