Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Memory Card Slow

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2013 - 1:37 PM

I'm using a SanDisc Extreme HD Video card, 30MB/s, 10, 8GB in my Lumix G5. It takes 3 seconds to record a RAW + jpeg image which seems slow to me. Is this a normal rate or which card might be faster? I feel as if I'm kept hanging after each shot.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jul 2013 - 1:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3296 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2013 - 5:14 PM

I don't use this camera, but I understand the SanDisc SDHC UHS-1 cards are 80MB/s, and the Panasonic should be compatible as it is a recent model. The manual should confirm this..

Last Modified By rhol2 at 16 Jul 2013 - 5:15 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2013 - 5:17 PM

The card is compatible. It's the speed I'm querying.
Is 3 seconds normal to save from capture to camera, RAW+jpeg?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2013 - 7:17 PM

Sounds about right, a lot will depend on the size of the raw file and these do vary from picture to picture.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014807 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2013 - 7:25 PM

You need Sandisk Extreme Pro, 95mb/sec. No point in buying a fast camera and using slow cards.

SlowSong
16 Jul 2013 - 8:02 PM

OK. It was just a card I found in my drawer so I obviously need the faster card. Not knowing anything about cards and because I haven't noticed this problem before I wasn't sure if I was using the right speed.

It happens on every raw file whatever the subject Paul, so I guess I need to get one as recommended by StrayCat.

Oh, by the way, does it matter what number is on the card apart from the MB? The one I've got says 10 in a circle. Not really sure what that means but I'm sure it's important in some way.

Thanks chaps. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2013 - 8:04 PM

Chris I use a mixture of fast and slow cards, I don`t always need the fastest of cards.

SlowSong
16 Jul 2013 - 8:12 PM

Yeah, but sometimes I like to act fast. 3 seconds is heck of a time lapse. Perhaps if I just do jpegs it'd be better, but in tricky lighting conditions you really do need raw files.

Paul Morgan
16 Jul 2013 - 10:23 PM

Your going to need a good card for video Chris.

SlowSong
16 Jul 2013 - 10:33 PM

I don't do video.

roblewisphotoco

a class 10 card should be fast enough for your camera class 6 and 4 are slower i use a Sandisk extreme pro 16gb card that rated at 95MB per second in my Fuji x100s and with camera setting on raw and fine jpeg it loads in a fraction of a second , so id say yours is very slow

SlowSong
17 Jul 2013 - 9:45 AM

Thanks guys. Have now ordered a much faster card. Smile

SlowSong
19 Jul 2013 - 4:33 PM

Quote: A class 10 card should be fast enough for your camera class 6 and 4 are slower i use a Sandisk extreme pro 16gb card that rated at 95MB per second in my Fuji x100s and with camera setting on raw and fine jpeg it loads in a fraction of a second , so id say yours is very slow

OK. So I got one of those and it still takes 3 seconds to write to card RAW+jpeg.

SlowSong
19 Jul 2013 - 10:32 PM

Quote: i use a Sandisk extreme pro 16gb card that rated at 95MB per second in my Fuji x100s and with camera setting on raw and fine jpeg it loads in a fraction of a second , so id say yours is very slow

OK. So I got one of those and it still takes 3 seconds to write to card RAW+jpeg.

Sorry to re-post, but just wondering why this should be the case. Anyone else got any ideas?

Cheers.

Paul Morgan
19 Jul 2013 - 10:41 PM

Have you tried the same card in another camera, some camera`s write quicker than other`s.

Also it helps if you use a freshly formatted card.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.