Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

MESSSAGE FOR EVERYONE: Make FREQUENT backups!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    psibernaut
    psibernaut Junior Member 8
    9 Oct 2005 - 1:21 PM

Er... I might not be uploading for a while because I've had a problem with my PC's D: drive, the one I store all my data on.
    It's going to the shop for rescue work.

MESSSAGE FOR EVERYONE: Make FREQUENT backups!!!

Whether your PC holds commercial or hobby related data such as images, documents, browser favourites, e-mails or whatever, a problem with a hard drive can be devastating, possibly resulting in a total loss of all the data held on the drive due to your operating system not being able to access the drive at all.

The most comprehensive backup method is to make a complete image (using Acronis True Image for example, make sure the software you chose can handle imaging a drive that currently in active use... some won't do this) which is saved on another hard drive or, preferably and more reliably, onto CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R or DVD-RWs. The software will allow you to spread the saved image spread across several discs if you're saving a lot of data.

It's also a good idea to make 2 identical backups, the second being independently created and not a copy of the first, that way you won't be copying any possible errors in the first version. For even better reliability the second backup should be stored separately from the first, (maybe one at work at the other at home, for instance) then in the unlikely but devastating event that the first backup is destroyed or lost (e.g. due to fire or theft etc.) you'll still be able to recover your missing data.

We all hope it won't happen to us...but unfortunately it can, so be safe...not sorry! Wink

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Oct 2005 - 1:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92966 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Oct 2005 - 1:43 PM

Ah, I see you learned the hard way. Good advice but I wonder how many carry it out. I back up important data and the pics I put on DVD.
    Ken

psibernaut
    9 Oct 2005 - 2:08 PM

Quote: Ah, I see you learned the hard way.

Yes indeed I did! Grin

I made my last full backup at the end of July though, so if the guys at the shop can't sort the problem out then at least I won't have lost everything.

Remember folks, it probably took a fair while to amass all your programs and to get them and Windows, or whatever operating system you use, set up to suit your preferences.

A fault with the system drive could involve having to reinstall everything, (if you're lucky and the drive works at all) so don't just think about backing up your files. Make a drive image of each of your hard disks and you'll be saving a lot of time and trouble should the worst happen!

>Wink

nomisco
    nomisco  11237 forum posts
    9 Oct 2005 - 11:24 PM

Quote: more reliably, onto CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R or DVD-RWs

I've seen some of the cheaper DVD's become unreadable after only six months. So that isn't strictly true. If you're really paranoid the answer would be to make two backups. Nothing worse than having a HDD fail only to find the backup media is unreadable too.

Another note of caution as these USB 'pen drives' become more popular is not to rely on them for backups. I recently had a customer who had one with her 10,000 word thesis on, completely unreadable, she had lost it all and hadn't even kept a copy on the old and beaten laptop she'd been using.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 109962 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Oct 2005 - 11:32 PM

Bad luck on the system failure and thanks for the reminder. Its something that hits most of us at least once and the paranoia lasts for quite a while but then we slip back into complacency Sad

I use an external hard drive + spare internal + DVD-RW + CD-ROM as back-up tools for different files

My problem now is keeping track of where everything is (book-keeping was always my weak point Smile

nomisco
    nomisco  11237 forum posts
    9 Oct 2005 - 11:47 PM

Brian, you've demonstrated just how paranoid some people can be Wink

psibernaut
    9 Oct 2005 - 11:55 PM

Yes, I agree that the cheaper discs are a false economy. Get a good brand (possibly the one that your drive manufacturer recommends) and stick with it if you want a good chance of getting your data back later!

I did suggest 2 backups in my original message.
    Paranoia or not... backups are a Very Good Idea. Grin

>Wink

colder
    colder  1036 forum posts
    10 Oct 2005 - 12:00 AM

I only back up my pictures would never keep anything important on my pc at all

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 109962 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2005 - 12:46 AM

Quote: Brian, you've demonstrated just how paranoid some people can be Wink

Simon, in my last system crash I lost a load of images of my wife's china painting output - you'd be paranoid after that! Smile)

ukuwi
    ukuwi  10476 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2005 - 1:11 AM

Well, having spent 15 years in the IT industry, I am more that aware of the importance of backing up your valuable data, and I woould reccomend "Nortons Ghost" software, but saying that,even though I do have the software,I wish I had used it, when only 2 months ago my hard drive crashed with every picture I had ever taken on it, with over a quarter of a million files to trudge through, it is going to take me a while to get back what I have lost, so Good advice is not always taken as it should beSmile

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92966 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Oct 2005 - 1:21 AM

Quote: I recently had a customer who had one with her 10,000 word thesis on, completely unreadable

Now that is painfull, bet she backs up now though.
    I recall the days when all you had to back up were floppy disc with only 720mb capacity. I see that floppy drives are still fitted in new machines though.
    Ken

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.