Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Metadata conflicts Lightroom 3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Squirrel
Squirrel  7377 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Jul 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hello everyone
I have been using Lightroom 3 since january with no problems. Over the last couple of days I've suddenly got lots of ! icons appearing on my images saying that there are metadata conflicts. As far as I am aware I haven't changed anything and it applies not only to images I have edited in CS3 as well as those that I haven't done anything with.
Any ideas?
Squirrel

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Jul 2012 - 11:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 7:15 AM

Hi Jacqueline,

In general this means that LR has detected a difference between it's metadata and somewhere else.

It can mean something changed outside of LR in Bridge, CS, elements, Capture One, DXO and possible others is not in synchronisation.

Could be in an externally created XMP file.

You should be getting a message asking whether to update LR with the "other" source or just keep LR's.

Specific circumstances for you situation is difficult to comment upon so you may like to goto Adobe Help
Not very user friendly but you may find something there that does help.

For me, personally I consider what is in LR to be my "Master" and always keep LR's version of everything, but others may have a different approach.

Jeff

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 9:12 AM

I get that when I have previously edited the image in Elements - if I know I have worked on it in LR I will keep the Elements version but otherwise I tell LR to accept the other settings. Note that this includes any tagging as well as picture edits.

User_Removed
2 Jul 2012 - 9:19 AM

I never alter a Raw file, so don't experience this "problem".

Like Jeff, I consider Lightroom to be my "Master" system and if I have to edit an image in some other package, e.g. Photoshop or any of the Nik programs, I do it from within Lightroom by giving the other program a Lightroom "Virtual Copy" to play with. That way my Raw file is never changed and any Lightroom adjustments I have made are retained unaltered in the principal LR copy.

If, for any reason, I did wish to deviate from that workflow, I would export a file from Lightroom in an appropriate file format and then open that file in the other package.

It may seem convoluted - but it works for me.

JJGEE
2 Jul 2012 - 9:45 AM

Quote: I never alter a Raw file, so don't experience this "problem".

Altering the RAW file is not the issue here, it is to do with the metadata which is usually saved in a XMP sidecar file.

mikehit
2 Jul 2012 - 9:47 AM

LF - Lightroom does not change the RAW file. It stores the changes in a sidecar file and all can be reversed by pressing 'reset'.
I am however experimenting with what you describe: if I know I may want to do different things to the RAW file I may have one virtual copy for B&W and one virtual copy for high key effect. And I want to see if there is any advantage to dong that instead of creating a RAW file with basic sharpening/curves/etc and doing the different effects in PS.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 11:35 AM

Quote: I never alter a Raw file

Unless I'm missing something here, you cannot alter a RAW file with any imaging software.

Squirrel
Squirrel  7377 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 12:14 AM

Hello all

Thanks for your comments. I downloaded some images from my camera into Lightroom 3 tonight, I converted them to dng which is what I have been doing since january. All was ok. I haven't done anything with them in Photoshop, I have just gone to look at them and some have metadata error message icons on them. Curiouser and curiouser.

Squirrel

JJGEE
3 Jul 2012 - 12:32 PM

Does this issue arise with all your cameras or just a specific one ?

Can you not try just importing the RAW file ( with NO presets ) to see if you get the same messages. If not then it would suggest there is a problem with the DNG conversion.

Dave_Canon
3 Jul 2012 - 3:00 PM

When you edit a file in LR, editing changes are recorded in the LR database (the same place it stores the EXIF data and thumbnails). Optionally you may also create the xmp sidecar files and these will aso contain the editing changes. If you were to open the edited file in another editor directly (i.e. not from LR) then that editor may read the xmp file and update it with your new editing. The data in the xmp file is then correct but your LR catalogue is now out of step. This is when LR indicates that there are metadata conflicts because it is true. You could resolve by choosing the xmp file as the correct source in which case the LR catalogue is updated. I would recommend avoiding these conflicts by a better workflow because some time after the event, you may forget which source is correct. Try opening third party software from LR or open/render a virtual copy then you should avoid conflicts. LR is designed to be the centre of your workflow. Martin Evening warns that you cannot always assume that either the xmp data or the LR catalogue are the truth. It is possible for neither to be the truth in some circumstances!

Dave

mikehit
3 Jul 2012 - 3:18 PM

... the Heisenberg uncertainty principle applied to photo editing Tongue

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 3:28 PM

Quote: ... the Heisenberg uncertainty principle applied to photo editing Tongue

I'm.................. not sure. Sad

clown-dark.jpg

User_Removed
3 Jul 2012 - 5:28 PM

Quote: ... the Heisenberg uncertainty principle applied to photo editing Tongue

So does Huygens' Interference Principle. Or was it Zimmerman Jones's?

The one that says that the state of matter is altered by the simple act of observing it.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 3 Jul 2012 - 5:28 PM
mikehit
3 Jul 2012 - 5:40 PM

or was it Schroedinger's Cat. I am still not sure if that exists until I read about it.

JJGEE
3 Jul 2012 - 5:48 PM

Can we not keep to the original question ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.