Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Metering, colour balance, shooting mode for photographing rugby.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gmcphotography

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the world of sports photography, and although i have my own way of doing things I wondered if others who photograph rugby or similar sports had any tips or techniques to share regarding metering, colour balance and shooting mode (ie manual, shutter priority)

I shoot fully manual, because the camears exposure changes depending upon how many white strips or dark strips are being metered. The drawback is that during floodlit games the level of light is not consistent throughout the pitch and I have to remember to alter the exposure depending upon where the action is. Sometimes I don't have time or forget. Is there a better, automatic way of getting a consistent exposure? Any other tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Gordon

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Feb 2013 - 4:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2013 - 5:32 PM

If your camera has auto iso feature try it, say you need 1/250th for shutter and f4 for dof. Dial that in - in manual mode. Then go into auto iso setting and set minimum shutter to 1/250th and minimum iso 100 and max iso say 3200. Matrix or Spot metering whichever you prefer. As for white balance set it to what ever light conditions is needed not auto. If shooting raw you can change it later anyway.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 8 Feb 2013 - 5:35 PM
    puertouk
    puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2013 - 5:39 PM

Take a meter reading with the colorchecker Passport and also the white balance. Use a fast lens f2.8 and when the light deteriorates, up your ISO. You should need a relatively decent aperture, maybe f8 and shutter speed of around 1/250 or so. Follow the action and get as near to the action as you can. Look for close ups at line-outs and scrums. Facial features are remarkable, especially when the players are tackled. Be careful not to get too close to the action though, as these guys are sodding big and can wipe you out when you are busy trying to get that special shot! Sad
    Stephen

Spencer1966
    8 Feb 2013 - 5:53 PM

You may find this interesting - 30mins in for what your asking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4KsGYDzgU

gmcphotography

Thank you guys. Spencer, a great link. Watched it all. I'm a big fan of Scott Kelby.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.