Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Metz or Olympus?

ChrisV 8 827 26 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2013 6:12PM
I'm buying a Flash to team [principally] with an EM-1. I'm considering a Metz 58AF-2 rather than the Olympus FL600.

The Metz is marginally more expensive, but it is more powerful and better built. It appears to be wireless compatible too and can be upgraded via USB. I think it also has the option of an external power-pack. I can't however find any guide to their respective recycle times - I want something that will respond quickly and continuously and my hunch is that the Metz would be the winner in that regard. Anyone got any experience/advice? Is there any compelling reason I'm not thinking of to stick with the Olympus [or the Panasonic equivalent which is more or less identical by the looks]?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
10 Oct 2013 8:55PM
I guess ideally your going to be using it off camera via wireless or lead.

In the case get the largest most powerful unit you can afford, the metz are good but I have not compared them against my FL50R units.

I would avoid the Panasonic units, you will be paying more for what is basically the same units as Olympus.
24 Oct 2013 5:12PM
I got the Metz 58AF-2. Works wirelessly and also has a secondary reflector for additional fill-flash - I also picked up an old FL36R dirt cheap. So I've got a pair that will work as slaves off-camera. Both recycle much faster than the old Polaroid unit I had, which was hit and miss. I've played around with both [just messing] and used the Metz today for a press release job. So far very happy, but I haven't done anything particularly demanding as yet.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
24 Oct 2013 6:22PM
I have a couple of fl36 units that I use attached with a coiled cable, it works.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
24 Oct 2013 7:38PM
Chris I also believe that unit also includes an optical slave, very handy.
25 Oct 2013 10:31AM
Yes it does, Paul (I think the R stands for remote, but I may be wrong)- I've fiddled with the settings of both and considering I only paid 80 [second hand] for the FL36, I'm very pleased with its capabilities. It's also of course a lot smaller than the Metz, which is good if I really want to travel light.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
25 Oct 2013 8:33PM
With my FL50R`s I have two slave modes( auto and manual) and then there are the wireless modes.

I have on FL36 but its of the Older generation so no wireless control.
6 Jan 2014 4:00PM
Supplementary question time.

I've done a bit of studying and a bit of messing around and am starting to get better results using both units wirelessly and TTL. Both can be set as slaves in either metered or manual mode. I was kidding myself that wireless was radio - but it does appear to be IR and needs a good line of sight [perhaps where I was going wrong previously].

Now I've also managed to get the RAW converter for my Mac/Aperture programme, so naturally shooting RAW. So here's the question - loading the RAW files shot with flash, if there are no humans in the frame, the shot looks fine. As soon as there are human beings in the picture, the red and blue channels bunch to the right of the histogram, leaving me with a massive magenta cast. This doesn't appear to happen without flash and it also doesn't happen with the JPEG files. Is there a bug in the Apple RAW converter or is anyone else encountering this strange problem with other RAW converters?
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
6 Jan 2014 8:16PM
Have you compared your raw software to say LR Chris.

I use my own profiles but even the default in LR are not that bad.

Not sure what could be causing your colour cast, bounced flash perhaps.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
6 Jan 2014 11:57PM

Quote:I've done a bit of studying and a bit of messing around and am starting to get better results using both units wirelessly and TTL. Both can be set as slaves in either metered or manual mode. I was kidding myself that wireless was radio - but it does appear to be IR and needs a good line of sight [perhaps where I was going wrong previously]

Yes the R simply means remote and not wireless remote Smile

On occasions you might be able to get away with units not being positioned in line of sight if you have a few reflective surfaces, but I find it better to carry a cheap set of Chinese triggers just in case.
7 Jan 2014 1:37AM

Quote:Have you compared your raw software to say LR Chris.

I use my own profiles but even the default in LR are not that bad.

Not sure what could be causing your colour cast, bounced flash perhaps.

Adobe p*ss me right off. I have the last version of LR and PShop CS6 - the new version of the RAW plugin only works with current versions (which means my version of PS being the last non-subscription version is permanently locked out of updates for RAW compatibility. I have however downloaded their latest DNG converter and it looks like this is some sort of bug or flaw in the Aperture profile for RAW. It's really weird though - as I say it only appears to be shifting the colour violently with flash and human subjects (the face in some occupying less than 5% of the frame. I'll report this to Apple.

I already have some cheap radio triggers (I've used them with strobes). I'll have a mess about when I have more time.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
7 Jan 2014 4:14AM

Quote:Adobe p*ss me right off

Same here, Adobe stopped supporting Xp with version 4 of LR, so I ended up building a new PC, cheaper than buying off the shelf, I then went CC.

I`m not that familiar with Aperture so can`t help you with that.
7 Jan 2014 12:46PM
CC? Isn't that costing you a fortune? Mind you I'm part of a larger team, which you would think would be a saving - but Adobe actually charge more for groups [I suppose their logic is that's more likely to be higher-income generation and so easier to extort]. I don't think we'd move until it becomes absolutely necessary and in the meantime their model may well fail.

It's a shame - Adobe used to be one of my favourite tech companies many years ago. Once the original founders retired and the bean-counters took over it became increasingly obvious their primary passion was for profit and everything else has suffered and declined since. They've become arrogant with their near monopoly on professional graphics software. They're due a fall.

As for Aperture it's good software - now a lot less expensive than LR [although Adobe have dropped the price a bit to compete] - but it is slow and resource hungry and it really is overdue a major update.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
7 Jan 2014 7:12PM

Quote:CC? Isn't that costing you a fortune? Mind you I'm part of a larger team, which you would think would be a saving - but Adobe actually charge more for groups [I suppose their logic is that's more likely to be higher-income generation and so easier to extort]. I don't think we'd move until it becomes absolutely necessary and in the meantime their model may well fail

I got Photoshop and LR for 8.78 a month, over a 5 year period it works out cheaper than keeping packaged software up to date, and for the price of a coffee a week I`m not complaining Smile

Quote:As for Aperture it's good software - now a lot less expensive than LR [although Adobe have dropped the price a bit to compete]

Yes Adobe have halved the price of LR,
8 Jan 2014 11:30AM
Yeah, I see LR is now around 100 - Aperture is 54.99 from the App store [when I first bought v2 around six or seven years ago it was 130-odd with an education discount]. It's had minor updates, but it must be a good three or four years since v3 was released. Users are getting a bit impatient with its lack of development. I actually have LR 4 on my machine - It covers more or less the same ground as Aperture, but the interface is very different and I'm so used to the Apple App and have such a large library, I've never got around to migrating or seriously comparing the two.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.