Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mice and mousetraps

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2011 - 7:39 AM

Ok so I'm fairly sure that I've got some little terrors in the flat.... Unfortunately there's a no pets rule so the option of feline assistance is not possible. So I'm after some traps and instead of just a short term investment I was wondering if anyone can recall the name of those metallic traps generally used for trapping small animals (like mice) for science studies. They've got some special name and being all metal and durable means they should last me a long while; I've had plans to do trapped small mammalian photography for a while, not really possible at the moment as I've got nothing to setup to contain the mice in for the photos without stressing them out way too much. So for now traps to catch and then lose them somewhere and then in the future something I can put to photographic use.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Oct 2011 - 7:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53581 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2011 - 7:51 AM

Your local DIY store should help, a Robert Dyas or a homebase. You can get plastic square tubes with a slight angle. They run in to the bait, the trap rocks & door closes.
However flats can be known for sharing mice so more may be next door. A pest control service may be necessary for all flats.
Poison is another good idea, they take the poison pellets back to the nest and die. There may be a smell for a little while but there probally is anyway.

JohnParminter

Don't know about the humane release type traps you mention but whatever you use, use a small piece of Mars Bar as bait, they go mental for it over any other bait I have tired.

JP

BarrieNeilPhotography

Quote: use a small piece of Mars Bar as bait, they go mental for it over

Tried that once.... caught Dawn French

I think you might mean the Longworth Small Mammal traps

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 5 Oct 2011 - 8:14 AM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
5 Oct 2011 - 8:14 AM

Or peanut butter.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2011 - 8:21 AM

Quote: I was wondering if anyone can recall the name of those metallic traps generally used for trapping small animals (like mice)

Lump hammer?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022905 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2011 - 8:21 AM

Trouble is, where do you lose a mouse?

You either give the problem to someone else, or take this small comfortably living, well fed mouse and dump it in a strange woodland area where it's going to c**p itself until it gets eaten.

Kill them now.

milly123
milly123  476 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Oct 2011 - 8:23 AM

Having had mice descend on me a year or two ago, and being someone who loves animals, I can honestly say, if you want to get rid of the little blighters, the only real way, and I think the most humane way, is the traditional traps. I tried the humane traps but mice are quick learners and soon disregard them with contempt! Also, if you do catch and release, you are passing the problem on. I think I read somewhere you have to release them a long way away for them not to find their way back to 'home' by smell. I found they loved peanut butter. I would be interested to see how you get on....

milly

Overread
5 Oct 2011 - 8:30 AM

Hmm might be easier getting the building owners to get the pest control in... esp since I'm on the 2nd floor so they must have got into ground and 1st already. That said it took them 2 years to fix the front door lock and er 3 years counting for the plasterwork......

I can fast see that if I catch and do a long walk to the woods to release that I'll be fighting the hard end of a long battle against the little devils.

As for the release part - if they are anything like town rats and foxes they'll bully all the local little, underfed country mice into some kind of mouse local militia and rampage through the countryside farms or something

losbarbados
5 Oct 2011 - 8:32 AM

Best way to rid yourself of mice is to go round your property, block up every hole you can find with wire wool, then on put a few drops of peppermint oil on the wire wool bungs you have put in place.

Mice can chew through anything, except wire will, and they like the smell of everything, except mint.

Also if you think of getting a cat to rid yourself of mice, get a dog instead. A cat will bring in more mice than it chases away.

Overread
5 Oct 2011 - 8:34 AM

In my experience the mice cats bring in tend to be rather dead - or at least fast approach that state after being brought in by said cat Wink Dogs on the other hand - eh back home we never ever had mice for 15 years whilst we had cats - got one dog (husky) and suddenly we get mice in the kitchen since the cats couldn't get in there anymore (well they could but only for around 5 seconds before said canine made to remove them - she'd have done for the mice too but -- can't fit in cupboards Wink )

MikeA
MikeA  91167 forum posts England
5 Oct 2011 - 9:01 AM

A small amount of peanut butter spread on a brick or hard surface, a dusting of pepper. The mice are drawn to the peanut butter, inhale the pepper, sneeze and knock themselves out on the brick. Dispose of unconscious intruder.
Note: You need to be alert as they revive quickly and scamper away. Useful for rabbits but use lettuce Wink

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2011 - 9:09 AM

Quote: Best way to rid yourself of mice is to go round your property, block up every hole you can find with wire wool, then on put a few drops of peppermint oil on the wire wool bungs you have put in place.

Wrong way round, imo. If you block the holes first then the mice, if they are in the property, cannot get out. Then what is the point of putting mint down?

digicammad
5 Oct 2011 - 9:10 AM

There is a foolproof method but it will take a few days. Basically you embed a razor blade in a piece of wood and place some peanut butter on one side. Position the trap in such a way that the mouse can't get to the food without leaning over the blade.

Once the mouse has got used to getting the food put the trap back with nothing on it. The mouse will look over the blade and, wondering where the food is, will swing its head from side to side.

Job done. Wink

digicammad
5 Oct 2011 - 9:11 AM

Quote: what is the point of putting mint down?

Have you ever smelt a mouse's breath!?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.