Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Micro 4/3: Five more companies join

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 12:48 PM

Just in case anyone has missed it, Olympus have issued a press release stating that 5 more companies have joined the M4/3 consortium - including the new owners of the Kodak brand who have been quick off the mark with the announcement of a new Kodak M4/3 camera.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jan 2013 - 12:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dandeakin
dandeakin  6201 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 6:07 PM

That's very good news for the format. And probably quite a worry for the non M4/3 mirrorless mounts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014795 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 6:44 PM

It will certainly be interesting to see what these companies can add to the M4/3 lineup.Grin

Thanks for the headsup CB.

User_Removed
22 Jan 2013 - 6:50 PM

It will be interesting to see where we are 10-15 years down the line.

At present, I suspect most serious camera buyers are folk with ingrained experience of film cameras and are instinctively attracted to digital cameras that bear a strong resemblance to 35mm SLRs. But, as that cohort passes through and is replaced by new photographers who never used film, then the attraction of the M4/3 options might well be more immediate.

There is, after all, no obvious objective benefit to having a clattery mirror clanging about inside a camera.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315340 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 7:24 PM

It would certainly help with the sales of M4/3 in the US Smile

redsnappa
redsnappa  111916 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 - 7:26 PM

Quote: There is, after all, no obvious objective benefit to having a clattery mirror clanging about inside a camera.

apart from the very clear view though a viewfinder than only a optical viewfinder can give. I know evfs of today a far better than those of a few years ago but they are not there yet.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315340 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 7:38 PM

The new EVF`s found in some of the new Sony`s and the OMD is very good, just as good as an optical viewfinder and in some ways better.

User_Removed
22 Jan 2013 - 7:45 PM

....certainly the eye-level electronic viewfinder of my Olympus OM-D is every bit as good as the optical viewfinder of my Nikon D800.

What I do still miss are the manual focussing aids we used to get in the viewfinders of film SLRs but which some misguided marketing guru thought were no longer required in AF digital cameras.

Paul Morgan
22 Jan 2013 - 7:48 PM

The new Fuji x100 replacement that`s on the way is going to include a split prism for focusing Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139430 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2013 - 9:50 PM

Quote: The new Fuji x100 replacement that`s on the way is going to include a split prism for focusing

That sounds very good - and I hope it spurs other manufacturers to offer the same. Smile

Paul Morgan
23 Jan 2013 - 12:58 AM

I hope so Smile

ChrisV
ChrisV  7784 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 1:08 PM

Quote: It will be interesting to see where we are 10-15 years down the line.

At present, I suspect most serious camera buyers are folk with ingrained experience of film cameras and are instinctively attracted to digital cameras that bear a strong resemblance to 35mm SLRs. But, as that cohort passes through and is replaced by new photographers who never used film, then the attraction of the M4/3 options might well be more immediate.

There is, after all, no obvious objective benefit to having a clattery mirror clanging about inside a camera.

It's not the mirror system that is the major factor for me - it's sensor size. 35mm format offers hugely more depth of field control - even the faster [and therefore much more expensive lenses] available for the m4/3 format are not going to give the same degree of control. This is to say nothing of the implications for noise at higher ISOs [which I find very useful].

Still, this is good news and I do own m4/3 cameras, like their portability and look forward to having more lens options ahead. It's just that I can't foresee them replacing my larger format gear in the easily forseeable future - much as I'd love that to be possible.

Paul Morgan
23 Jan 2013 - 5:58 PM

Quote: It's not the mirror system that is the major factor for me - it's sensor size. 35mm format offers hugely more depth of field control - even the faster [and therefore much more expensive lenses] available for the m4/3 format are not going to give the same degree of control. This is to say nothing of the implications for noise at higher ISOs [which I find very useful]

Is your glass, half full or half empty, it all depends how you look at it Smile

For me CSC`s offer more DOF control, especially in low light.

Paul Morgan
23 Jan 2013 - 6:08 PM

But there is one heck of a lot of people moving over from larger sized DSLR`s finding this smaller format just as good, so there must be something.

http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/olympus-om-d-first-impressions-...

Carabosse
24 Jan 2013 - 1:20 AM

Quote: It's just that I can't foresee them replacing my larger format gear

Ah............. famous last words for so many! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.