Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Micro 4/3rds lenses to fit Panasonic GX1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Martin2012
    29 Nov 2012 - 7:09 PM

Probably a bone question but is it possible to use Olympus micro 4/3rds lenses on a Panasonic GX1 body? Grateful for your comments, as always.
    Rgds

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Nov 2012 - 7:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 7:40 PM

yes but you won't have the benefit of the OIS of the Panasonic lenses

rogerfry
    rogerfry e2 Member 8501 forum postsrogerfry vcard United Kingdom
    29 Nov 2012 - 7:42 PM

Yes.....all M4/3 lenses fit Panasonic and Olympus bodies. Bear in mind that Olympus lenses don't have IS as the Olympus stabilisation system is in the body.

Got beaten to the draw !

Last Modified By rogerfry at 29 Nov 2012 - 7:43 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 8:34 PM

Not all Panasonic lenses have IS anyway.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 8:41 PM

I didn't know that Paul (I learn something new every day Smile )

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 8:47 PM

I don`t believe any of the Pancakes or the 25mm have IS.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 29 Nov 2012 - 8:48 PM
    kaybee
    kaybee  103759 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2012 - 10:03 PM

I have had a strange setup where my GF1 has told me the Oly lens I wanted to try wasn't fitted properly but I know it is somewhere in the menu to switch that off

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7718 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 11:41 AM

As others have said all m4/3 lenses are standard fit. You can of course fit a vast range of different lenses to m4/3 cameras via adapters which may or may not feature electrical contacts. I use a Canon fit Samyang fisheye with my G3 quite regularly with a very simple adapter - the lens is manual but even wide open [f3.5] as long as you've made sure to focus beyond a couple of metres, DoF will extend to infinity in any case and if you shoot on auto ISO, exposure is not problematic either.

My 20mm pancake is usually on my GX1 because it makes for a very compact package capable of very high quality shots. If you are shooting with non-m4/3 lenses you just need to make sure you have 'shoot without lens' selected from the shooting menu.

Paul Morgan
    30 Nov 2012 - 8:04 PM

Quote: Oly lens

As in what, Olympus digital or Olympus film lens.

Martin2012
    1 Dec 2012 - 4:24 PM

Many thanks to you all - most helpful.
    Rgds

EsaT
    EsaT  1 Finland
    3 Dec 2012 - 9:54 PM

Also 4/3 DSLR lenses work when used with adapter and there are many optically very high quality lenses if you have uses were small size isn't required.
    Autofocus of most of those is just designed to work with PDAF and using them with CDAF's trial and error focus process makes at least Zuiko 12-60mm sounds like it will wear out focusing mechanism lot faster.
    Some of them are also compatible with CDAF which are listed in here as OK for quick AF:
    panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/gx1.html
    (forus software seem to consider address as spam so can't put direct link)

I'm myself using, for its quality sadly discontinued, 4/3 Leica D 14-150mm in GH2 as main lens besides Lumix G 7-14mm. (hauled that kit on Everest Base Camp trek in last year)
    If you like wide landscapes, sky etc that Lumix G gives nicely wider view than Olympus m.Zuiko 9-18mm, though at higher cost.

For fisheye Samyang (also branded as Rokinon/Walimex) 7.5mm Micro Four Thirds fisheye is hard to beat.
    Lot cheaper than Panasonic fisheye, mechanically and optically good and really small, unlike Samyang 8mm FE which is adapted DSLR lens.

For close up/macro there's Kenko DG Micro Four Thirds extension tubes as cheap alternative to try with any lens.
    For actual macro lens I would consider m.Zuiko 60mm macro better than Leica DG 45mm macro because of besides cheaper price its longer focal length gives longer working distance which is always good unless you want to scare those insects and critters.
    Should have it in day or two but anyway there are plenty of reviews/tests of it.

To continue Paul's comment about lack of IS in some Panasonic lenses like Leica DG 25mm F1.4 that actually applies to fast primes of any system. Which is quite logical:
    Faster focal-ratio basically needs exponentially better corrected lens aberrations meaning higher requirements for optical design and mechanical accuracy for lens positioning.
    Obviously having that "wobling" IS element in there redirecting route of light beams going through optics is counterproductive.
    So really ideal solution would be having In Body IS (IBIS) for stabilizing any possible lens like fast primes, third party lenses and lenses whose In Lens IS (let's call it ILIS) isn't best possible.

Paul Morgan
    4 Dec 2012 - 3:34 PM

Quote: To continue Paul's comment about lack of IS in some Panasonic lenses like Leica DG 25mm F1.4 that actually applies to fast primes of any system. Which is quite logical

Totally Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.