Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

'Microsoft' we'll fix your computer scam - what is the best response?

mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 4:37PM
Brilliant!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SueEley 8 271 96 Wales
16 Aug 2012 5:16PM
Definitely going to try the hash key (which isn't on my mac keyboard but is on my phone) as I have been getting a lot of those calls too.
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 5:25PM
Have to say they are also even more lacking in manners now. Just had a call, the caller says "Good afternoon Mrs B....., I'm calling from ....... Energy, how are you this afternoon". I answer, "Well, being with the telephone preference service, not up for any sales calls". Rather than the apology you used to get, they just put the phone down.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
16 Aug 2012 5:32PM

Quote:I'm calling from ....... Energy

I had a call from them as well, that is if the " ......" bit is what I am thinking it is.
( Oh, they did not call me Mrs B ! )

Again they got a very basic fact wrong so hung up on them.
chavender e2
4 216 1 France
16 Aug 2012 5:33PM
We do get them here (France).
I normally say that I do not speak French which usually does the job. Sometimes though I get "would you prefer to speak English" then it becomes more difficult.
I have to say that the callers are normally very polite (as are most French).
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
16 Aug 2012 5:52PM
Our technique is to ask them which computer has the virus on it. Normal answer is " The one running Windows".
Ah yes,we ask, but which one?
After about 5 minutes of this they start to ask how many computers do we have.
Well there's the main desktop, the subsiduary desktop, the 3 laptops..........
Oh, and the one our son, who is a software development engineer with Microsoft, is currently using. Would you like to speak to him?

click, brrrrrrrrrrr.

We're plagued by market surveys into consumer spending habits & also information about solar panels & energy saving (PSG Solar Energy are the worst).
My technique with them is to ask why they are calling me. After each explanation I repeat the question "Why are you calling ME?"
"Did I request your company to contact me??"
"No; so why are you calling me?"
Repeat, getting louder each time so I overspeak their sales pitch.
When they eventually shut up, I ask for their home number so I can call them back in the middle of their sleeping time. Usually works, apart from the girls from PSG Solar Energy who NEVER shut up.
macroman 11 15.3k England
16 Aug 2012 6:18PM
Re junk mail,
I usually post the wrong sheets in the pre-paid envelopes.
As an alternative I sometimes shred several sheets and ram them into the prepaid envelope so that they are thicker than what is allowed for a standard post.
Not only do they have to pay extra for the post, but hopefully all the shredded paper falls on the floor when it's opened. Smile
Gaucho e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 6:38PM

Quote:We do get them here (France).

Very polite but just as much of a pain. Have you noticed, Bill, that they nearly always phone at lunchtime when all good French people will most definitely be at home Wink
RWH 4 7 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 7:36PM
This is a notorious scam - but the caller isn't from Microsoft. The last of these I had started out by saying he was from Microsoft Windows Support. Pressed for his company name, he said it was Quick Resolve. I went along with him, anticipating he'd lead me to warning messages on the PC. He took me to the events log. Lo and ever so behold, this showed lots of warning and error messages. When he asked me if I was aware of what these were, he twigged that I wasn't as ignorant as I was making out and the call was abruptly terminated. Try searching on "Quick Resolve" and you'll find a raft of correspondence. They have a convincing web-site. The sad thing is that some people get taken in by this and fork out for an expensive "fix". The police can't do anything about this because the people doing it are based in India. Next time I'll try "Ooh - you'd better talk to my wife. She's a computer security officer for Greater Manchester Police."
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 7:42PM
Personally I just put the phone down. But my nephew likes to have some fun. He answers and then says 'Gerry, Gerry, is that you Gerry? Gerry, my leg still hurts, Gerry. Why did they do it to me, Gerry? I didn't hurt anybody! I wouldn't hurt nobody, you know that Gerry. Gerry, that is you isn't it Gerry.........CLICK!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.