Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Microstock sites

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

WhiteSwan
WhiteSwan  2 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2013 - 10:23 PM

I've been looking at some microstock sites, is it normal practise to request passport/driving licence details as proof of ID for selling accounts? Or am I being incredibly naive?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jan 2013 - 10:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PhillipMinnis

Abolutely!

I sell my images on 18 different Microstock sites, and I've had to provide proof of ID on each site.

The only way I sell my images is via this method, and it's been quite rewarding for me......considering I've only ever regarded myself as a hobbyist! My images generate several thousands of dollars in sales each year.

You can view details about my Microstock experience, and see which sites I upload to, by visiting the 'Sales' page on my web-site: www.PhillipMinnisPhotography.com

WhiteSwan
WhiteSwan  2 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2013 - 3:08 PM

Thanks for the info!

User_Removed
5 Jan 2013 - 4:14 PM

Quote:
You can view details about my Microstock experience, and see which sites I upload to, by visiting the 'Sales' page on my web-site

As a matter of interest, Phillip, what brings you the most income - sales of your images on those sites or affiliate commissions from click-throughs from the banners on your site?

Wink

Ian G W
Ian G W  11396 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 5:49 PM

I'm only with one site, Dreamstime, and I don't remember having to prove my identity, but I've been with them a few years now, so that might have changed.

I keep meaning to add images to my account (only added 5 or so this year!), but with just 197 images online I've had over 1500 sales.

Ian

User_Removed
5 Jan 2013 - 8:15 PM

Quote: I'm only with one site, Dreamstime, and I don't remember having to prove my identity, but I've been with them a few years now, so that might have changed.

I keep meaning to add images to my account (only added 5 or so this year!), but with just 197 images online I've had over 1500 sales.

Ian

But the prices on that site look very low, Ian. As little as 13p per image.

At least, with Alamy, I am getting about $39 per sale on average, although they are only selling a few every now and then.

PhillipMinnis
5 Jan 2013 - 10:05 PM

Quote: You can view details about my Microstock experience, and see which sites I upload to, by visiting the 'Sales' page on my web-site

As a matter of interest, Phillip, what brings you the most income - sales of your images on those sites or affiliate commissions from click-throughs from the banners on your site?

Wink

I would be lucky to earn more than $30.00 a year through affiliate commissions. For example, on Shutterstock, over the past five years, I have 15 referred photographers to the site who actually signed up. Only one of those photographers has uploaded photos onto the site. He has only ever uploaded 23 images, and I've earned the grand sum of 93c in total in commission from the sale of his images. The other 14 referrals have never uploaded images to the site. Perhaps their images never met the criteria....I wouldn't know. My referral earnings on Dreamstime, since I joined the site in 2007, only totals $108.54. That is the site that I've earned the most commission on. The others aren't worth mentioning.

The sales from my photos earn me around $5000.00 each year. It is the only income that I earn from taking photos, and the only way that I intend to earn money from my hobby. I don't do weddings, or any type of 'paid' work.

Photography has always been a hobby for me, and that's as far as I intend to take it. So, for me, $5000.00 each year is a bonus! All it has taken me is the time to describe, keyword and upload between 1500 and 2000 images on to each site, and then I simply sit back and do nothing more. The images keep earning me money forever! I could be hit by a bus today, and they'd still keep selling. Yes, you get very low amounts for your images, however, one of my images has sold over 300 times on one site alone, and has earned me a total of $315.00 just on that site. See here: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-5642037-air-conditioning-ducts.php It also sells quite well on the other sites that I upload to. About three years ago, I went out to a local dairy, and took some shots of some Holstein-Friesian cows. Those photos, taken from the road near the dairy, have earned me 100's of dollars. Sometimes, images that you think will sell well, hardly earn a cent, and other images, such as the air-conditioning duct photo, and the cow photos, sell way beyond expectations. The air-conditioning duct images have probably earned me $700.00 or $800.00 in total across all of the sites that I upload to. I only took the images outside a shopping centre because I was bored - waiting for my wife and two daughters, who were taking way too long in the fashion shops. I saw the ducts, took a few shots, and felt rather embarrassed when I turned around and saw some of the shoppers looking at me rather strangely, and having a bit of a giggle. Smile Look who is laughing now!

During the past three or four years I made a couple of attempts to get onto Alamy, but my images didn't pass the test. In January, last year, I put in a more concerted effort, and I was accepted. I have not got all of my stock images on the site as yet, as it is the most time-consuming site to get your images onto. You can see my portfolio here. However, I have had six sales, which has earned me a total of $180.00. That is less than my monthly sales on one site that I upload to. But, for me, it is worth being on as many sites as possible! The more I can make from my hobby, the better!

So, in my case, I'm extremely grateful that I was introduced to Microstock photography! If I hadn't, I wouldn't be earning money through photography! Smile

Ian G W
6 Jan 2013 - 12:41 AM

Quote:

But the prices on that site look very low, Ian. As little as 13p per image.

At least, with Alamy, I am getting about $39 per sale on average, although they are only selling a few every now and then.

Yes, but that price is designed to attract buyers - to get that price they have to spend a lot of money on subscriptions.

My statistics show that I averaged over $40 per month with a rate per download of $2.75 in 2012, and in 2011 $55 per month at $2.70 per download. Bear in mind that in those 2 years I added less than 25 images to my portfolio. So that's well over $1000 dollars barely doing any work! So far in 2013 my last 2 sales were worth just over $7 and just over $4. The least I have ever earned for a sale is 42 cents. Nothing as prolific as Phillip above, but enough to keep my hobby ticking over - my photography is effectively cost neutral.

Ian.

Ian G W
6 Jan 2013 - 12:47 AM

....and as Philip says, it's surprising what can sell! My best selling image is this one

PhillipMinnis

Quote:

My statistics show that I averaged over $40 per month with a rate per download of $2.75 in 2012, and in 2011 $55 per month at $2.70 per download. Bear in mind that in those 2 years I added less than 25 images to my portfolio. So that's well over $1000 dollars barely doing any work! So far in 2013 my last 2 sales were worth just over $7 and just over $4. The least I have ever earned for a sale is 42 cents. Nothing as prolific as Phillip above, but enough to keep my hobby ticking over - my photography is effectively cost neutral.

Ian.

Shutterstock is the best site to me! Yesterday, this image sold, and I received $28.00 for it. http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=34356625 I think the site sold it for around $100.00. I'm happy with $28.00 for a very boring easy-to-shoot image! Last month, I had three of these $28.00 sales. http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=75733252 http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=97321796 http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=74347813 As well as those three sales, I had 215 other sales on the site. The majority of those sales were for just 36c each, whilst others were for $1.17 each and $2.70 each. My December sales totalled $217.20.

As I said before, I couldn't be happier! Yes, I'm aware that the photographer comes out second-best, fiinancially, on these sites, however, I don't have to do anything. I don't have to deal with the client. I don't have to market my product, I don't have to have a website. All I do is capture the image, describe it, keyword it, upload it, and sit back. I costs nothing to join any of the sites. The only criteria is that your images must be spot-on, quality-wise! No chromatic aberration, no artifacting, good focus, no heavy filtering, no over sharpening, or over saturation.

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7832 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 3:19 PM

Philip, are you able to put the same photo on each stock site or is it a case of a unique photo for each site? If you can put the same photo on several sites, then has joining Alamy made a difference to this and do they insist on exclusive photos?

PhillipMinnis

I am not exclusive to any site, consequently, I have upload all of my images to every site.....Alamy included. I have a little over 2000 stock images. Over the months and years, I've uploaded them to every site. Some images get rejected on some sites, some sites accept all or most of them.

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
6 Jan 2013 - 10:27 PM

Passport/Driving License details...............NEVER EVER.
Microstock.................................................NEVER.

PhillipMinnis
6 Jan 2013 - 10:35 PM

I have had to provide ID for all of the big sites, otherwise, you can't get paid! I don't have an issue with it....it's the rules....you have the option to not join, and not make any money, or join, and make some money. I've also had to fill out a tax exemption form on all the US site, so that I don't have to pay the full US tax rate on my sales.

PhillipMinnis
6 Jan 2013 - 10:38 PM

Check out the world's most successful Microstocker: http://arcurs.com/who/

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.