Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Minolta A1 and external flash

guidoa 13 1.3k United Kingdom
2 Jul 2004 4:40PM
Has any one used the program 2500D flash gun with this digi camera and if so with what results. It is quite expensive and i was wondering if there are any cheaper non Minolta flash guns which will work from the hot shoe.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

vetcameraman 10 145 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2004 5:49PM
All the official info. on the A2 I've read says you can only use the Minolta range of guns as per the manual on the hot-shoe due to its design - I presume the same is true for the A1. I think it was Luminous Landscape's review said it is actually a good design hot shoe. There are other sites where people descibe using other non-dedicated flash guns. The big downside appears to be that you lose all control and TTL flash metering, so it become a game of chance. Others have worried about burning out the electronics - sounds like a question to pose direct to Minolta's support site. Obviously, you could always experiment with the PC terminal and a cheaper flash mounted off-camera which by all accounts gives better results than direct flash anyway (never tried it myself!) Then you could save up for the 5600 (I think) which should give you a much better option, including wireless flash capability. In the meantime, I'll have to stick to fill-in flash and daylight lighting - bit expensive for me too!
2 Jul 2004 6:39PM
Thanks for that info. The 5600 is very expensive and I couldnt justify it, will try an off shoe flash.
lordposh 10 45 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2004 10:20PM
I have been using the sigma DG-500 SUPER flash with my A1, they are expensive to buy new, but a good camera shop may be able to offer you a used one, then they are worth their weight in gold. Saying that I waited about 2 weeks before one came along..
This does work perfectly from the hot shoe with full fatures.
Roger
6 Jul 2004 9:06PM
Thanks Roger, I have managed to find a Sigma EF-500 DG, for my A1, the point I dont understand is what is difference between ADI and TTL flash, and which do you use - there doesnt seem to be any difference in the shots I have taken.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.