Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Minolta film scanner - died?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
4 Apr 2010 - 3:11 PM

Hello friends,

please don't laugh! I bought my Minolta Dimage Scan Dual 3 AF-2840, approximately 8 years ago. However the PC it's linked to is even a couple years older.

A few weeks ago I tried to use it and it gave me an error message -

Error = 1
Unknown Error. I thought thanks a bunch!

This afternoon, I uninstalled the software, re-started the PC and re-installed the software disc.

Went to turn on the software and machine. After about 5 minutes, I had the SAME error message. Dammit!! And other such thoughts, me maties!Grin

I can assume that my piece of Minolta crap is now fit for the recycle bin.

So, I now need to inform my better half that I requirers a new film scanner.

For a couple years now, I've been looking at adverts and reviews of the Plustek film scanners.

My question therefore is, which model to go for? I liked the reviews on Amazon, of the Plustek
7500i SE. It seems competent enough. Or do I need the extra functions of the 7500i Ai?

Bear in mind, I'm a simple old dude, so I probably already know the answer.

How many of you have got this equipment?

I've got about 2000 slides taken with a Canon T-90 and later a Canon Eos 3, which I still have and intend to use on an occasional basis. Also through years of family life, I've got hundreds of 35mm negatives that I'd like to digitise.

Thanks, Frank.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Apr 2010 - 3:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper
Snapper  93693 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 3:37 PM

Frank, all may not yet be lost ......... Before you reach for your wallet, have you tried using Vuescan software? If you haven't, I'd certainly recommend the free trial version as it works fine with my Scan Dual 3. Good luck!

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
4 Apr 2010 - 3:55 PM

And my ScanDual IV is still soldiering on - even though it threw a similar 'wobbly'.

Have you tried the Konica Minolta driver site? It is possible there was an updated driver available after the one you have... certainly was for mine.

EDIT: Hmmm... v 1.0.0. only. Try a download and re-install anyway - you never know. It sounds as though one of the MS OS updates has interfered here. Just a thought...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Apr 2010 - 3:59 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ckristoff
4 Apr 2010 - 4:39 PM

Snapper and Mike,

thanks for your replies.

Forgive me for being dim, but how would my scanner work with Vuescan? Isn't the scanner controlled by it's own software?

Does the Konica Minolta site still exist? I tried their website a couple years ago, but they didn't really help.

Don't get me wrong, as it's Easter, I'd love it if my scanner would burst back into life!!Smile

Frank.

Snapper
Snapper  93693 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 4:46 PM

Vuescan replaces the Minolta software. Read some more here.

ckristoff
4 Apr 2010 - 5:01 PM

Hello Snapper,

silly question time again!

If I un-install the Minolta software again, then download Vuescan, will the Vuescan software recognise my scanner when I turn it on?

Frank.

User_Removed
4 Apr 2010 - 5:03 PM

Quote: Does the Konica Minolta site still exist?

Check the link in my previous post Frank... Wink

FWIW, Vuescan won't work with my Mk IV. That said, it doesn't mean it won't with your Mk III - it remains a viable option worth trying IMO.

Wink

ckristoff
4 Apr 2010 - 5:16 PM

Hello Mike,

thank you.

I'll probably try tomorrow.

I need to bring that old PC down to this PC's position, as it ain't linked to internet!

Frank.

Snapper
4 Apr 2010 - 5:18 PM

Quote: Hello Snapper,

silly question time again!

If I un-install the Minolta software again, then download Vuescan, will the Vuescan software recognise my scanner when I turn it on?

Frank.

You don't need to uninstall the Minolta software to try out Vuescan. I think you launch Vuescan before switching on the scanner and it automatically recognises it, but it might be the other way round!

Mike

Your Mk IV is on the list of supported scanners, so a bit surprised it won't work.

User_Removed
4 Apr 2010 - 5:24 PM

I'm aware of that Peter... Tried a couple of versions a while back and gave up since my OEM software was delivering for me at the time. I see that further advances have been made since I last tried it so I might just give it another go.

Appreciate the 'heads up!' here though... Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Apr 2010 - 5:25 PM
ckristoff
4 Apr 2010 - 5:38 PM

Hello friends,

I've just a google, looking for Vuescan.

I came across www.hamrick.com/vuescan ( apologies if I shouldn't do this ), and it said that version 8.6.22, has fixed a problem with the DS 3 and DS 4. That may be useful information for Mike as well.

Thanks for everyone, in taking time to help little old me!

Frank.

User_Removed
4 Apr 2010 - 7:17 PM

Quote: and it said that version 8.6.22, has fixed a problem with the DS 3 and DS 4

Excellent Frank! Thanks for that - will get a copy and re-try it!

ckristoff
4 Apr 2010 - 8:32 PM

Friends,

since I last posted, my son has helped me in putting the trial download of Vuescan 8.6.23 onto the PC the Minolta is connected to.

I un-installed the Minolta software just in case. Installed the Vuescan software, which recognised the DS 3 scanner! When prompted, I put in a film strip with 4 negatives to scan image 1. The scanner proceded as normal, then the software asked for the film holder to be removed and close the door.

For the past 2 hours, the green light above the DS 3's on/off switch is flashing steadily.
At the bottom of the Vuescan screen are 3 messages, left to right saying - Calibrate Scan Dual III - Input Scan Dual III Frame 1 - Busy, then the percentage Nos are jumping back and forth from 99% to % and anything in between.

Is it possible that I did something wrong and I need to start again? Sorry for the hassle!

Frank.

Snapper
4 Apr 2010 - 8:52 PM

I know it is picky about calibration and start-up, and seem to recall being where you are now. My problem just now is that my desktop with Vuescan installed has packed in and I haven't been able to get my "man who can" to come and fix it, so I can't fire it up to work through it for you.

I'd switch the scanner off for 5 minutes or so, but leave Vuescan open. Keep the filmholder out and the door closed, then switch on. It will go through a bit of whirring and other noises and will eventually tell you when it wants the filmholder installed. There should then be an option for a Preview scan which I think can be set for each neg or the whole strip, but I'm struggling to recall what the other options are ......... Sad

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 8:54 PM

Frank the software may not fully support your scanner.

Checked the site and seems your scanner model is not on the list.

Minolta/Konica

* QuickScan 35
* Konica Qscan
* Scan Dual
* Scan Dual II
* Scan Dual III
* Scan Dual IV
* Scan Elite
* Scan Elite II
* Scan Elite 5400
* Scan Elite 5400 II
* Scan Multi
* Scan Multi II
* Scan Multi Pro
* Scan Speed
* SC-110
* SC-215

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.