Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

minolta please help!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    aqualegia
    aqualegia  6 England
    27 Apr 2013 - 5:13 PM

Hello people
    Im new here and id love any help and advice i can get really
    My friends father sadly passed away who was a press photographer and she has given me all his old kit.
    A minolta7000 with lenses and filters and flash and light meter etcetc ...i have my own canon eos650d and a few other little cameras bt i never use different lenses or any of this other stuff but im very eager to learn about it all.
    Vintage style photography is my absolute favourite and i spend most of my time editing my photographs to look this way so im ever so excited to get using this lovely new camera.
    I can provide lots of pics for anyone who may be able to help me out so you can see what im working with.
    I so hope to find somebody here!..ive got the film in it and been playing around today and already i love it..the weight is a big change but i really enjoy not being able to playback my image because it makes it all the more fun.

Nicola
    x

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Apr 2013 - 5:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3812 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2013 - 7:12 PM

I know little about Minolta film cameras, but I do know that Minolta lenses fit Sony Alpha cameras.. It might be interesting to acquire an EBay Alpha for a reasonable price to see what they do digital.

In the meantime, have fun learning or relearning how to use a film camera.

HOBBO

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41222 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Apr 2013 - 9:48 PM

Just because the camera is film from 30 years ago doesn't mean it will take "vintage style photographs!"

Minoltas work pretty much the same as any later, push-button, autofocus autowind film camera. Manuals can be found online for the operation of the camera, the rest is up to you - if you use a DSLR already, you'll probably find yourself thinking more about each shot, and checking everything several times as each shot costs money!

http://www.photo-manuals.com/manual/minolta/film-slr-camera/maxxum-7000/

Nick

davewaine
    davewaine  7115 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2013 - 6:34 AM

The Minolta 7000 was the first autofocus SLR that actually worked reliably, which made it the undisputed king of the film camera world for a short time until all the others jumped on the bandwagon. Pictures taken with it won't look more vintage than pictures taken with any other relatively modern camera, but they should look good because the lenses were on a par with those from Canon and Nikon. As you say, you can always give them the vintage look with photo editing. Minolta were taken over by Sony eight or nine years ago and their factories now produce the modern Sony range of cameras. As Hobbo mentioned, the Sony Alpha bayonet mount is actually the old Minolta AF mount renamed, so your lenses will fit directly on a modern Sony DSLR. Another advantage you might want to take into account is that, because they were designed for film, they cover full frame. If they have been looked after properly, and are still in good condition, you may also notice that they are likely to be much more robustly and better built than the cheap plastic apologies that are often thrown in with cameras today. One caveat, however. Chromatic aberration (colour fringing) was never the problem with film that it can be with digital, so the lenses are not designed to suppress it in the way that modern optics are. It may not be a problem, though, because the better the lens, the less likely it is to display fringing. The only way to test it is to stick it on a digital camera and shoot some high contrast subjects.

pablophotographer

Hi, good luck with your new camera and lenses.

I own a minolta SLR but mine uses manually operated lenses only. If I was to give you a sound advice on film would be to use a colour 24 exposure for a start. KODAK 200 iso is sold for 1 pound in retail stores with that name, if I am not mistaken. The reason for saying this is that you don't seem to upload many images, is it because you don't take many pictures? A 24 exposure film would end faster than one of 36 exposures. Film, since processing can be expensive, requires from you to think carefully about framing and setting up the camera to take pictures. To slow down. For that reason in the beginning choose subjects that they are not in motion, still nature, micro and landscape. By all means you can try portraits too. You can also go for black and white, my favourite is KODAK BW400CN (400 iso) which I buy from photoshops, 3x36 exposures for 12 pounds last time I had bought some. You can find cheaper prices on the internet. The best advice I had from a pro, who grew up using film, was when using film to slightly overexpose the image. That is because when it comes to get printed on paper it will look slightly darker.

Go on, have fun, looking forward to see the results from the first roll of film you will hopefully upload.

pentaxpete
    29 Apr 2013 - 12:23 PM

I was GIVEN a Minolta Dynax 500 Si with two lenses and have tried it out with some of my 'outdated film' ( I have LOADS in the 'fridge!)
    I never had Minolta before - the only thing I do NOT like about it is the fact that the FLASH shoe is 'Minolta Only' fit and none of my Studio or Metz flashes can be used on it .

Here is one of the 'Test' photos I took using the Built-in flash and a small Pentax one with a 'slave cell' from behind.

pablophotographer

Meme ...... Of coourse I respect you and appreciate your love and dedication to film, ALL those years but can you please offer some sound advice to this lady and stop boasting about your gift cameras?

qualegia would suggest once you have the roll finished to give it for development and ask a cd with the negatives with it, then you could post them to the critique gallery and see what people suggest and recommend you. Ciao

pentaxpete
    29 Apr 2013 - 4:44 PM

Oh Dear !! That's ME TOLD OFF -- I'll go onto the 'Naughty Step' --

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315670 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2013 - 6:53 PM

Its a small world, I stumbled across an old MInolta 7000 earlier this afternoon, 7 including kit lens, I left it on the shelf.

This camera was a bit of a landmark, so much so it forced Canon to drop the T90 and develop the EOS system.

Stick a roll of film in it and get out and play.

pstilwell
    pstilwell  11 United Kingdom
    29 Apr 2013 - 8:02 PM

He just getting back to photography myself and always been a firm favorite of Minolta. It may be worth knowing that back in there day Minolta outstripped Canon and Nikon in Japan. It was there favorite. The best film you could use for vibrant colours is Fuji Velvia, now without checking don't know if it is still made? Hope you get on with it.

pentaxpete
    29 Apr 2013 - 9:13 PM

Fuji 'Velvia' is a slide film -- may be the young lady will not want all the hassle with slides, a projector and screen etc , so ordinary print film would be better. ( I spent my time on the 'Naughty Step' by the way )

pstilwell
    pstilwell  11 United Kingdom
    30 Apr 2013 - 1:04 AM

Noooo velvia was in all formats, had to look after the last post to see if it was still about. Seams like it still is thank god so just ordered a 5 pack for the next outing Grin

I used to buy it in 120 and 35

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41222 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 1:43 AM

Yes, you could get Velvia in most formats, but it was, and is still, a slide film only.

It isn't the same Velvia though. A few years ago, Fuji stopped production, but in the face of mass outcry brought out a 100 ISO version. Still in the face of mass outcry they eventually dropped the 100 and went back to 50 ISO, but they lost the "magic" that was the original. It's still good, but it lacks what the original had.

Slides you expose for the highlights (as it's easy to blow them out and lose definition) and prints you expose for the shadows as it's possible to bring them back in printing.
    I always used to underexpose slides by 1/3 stop, black and white also under by 1/3 stop, and colour print as normal. It seemed to work.

Nick

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315670 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 2:22 AM

Blast I`ve just and checked the film I had in stock, I still have two rolls of Fuji Sensia process paid, they stopped making that in 2010 I think Smile

Yes velvia is a slide film only.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.