Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Minolta X-700

RavenTepes 5 188 United States
8 May 2010 11:32PM
So picked up a Minolta X-700 yesterday. It came equipped with its standard 50mm f1.7 lens and I also grabbed an additional Tokina 28-70 f3.5-4.5.....all for the price of 30 quid. So I went out and got a few rolls of my favourite film and loaded it up. Both lenses are nice and sharp, and I found the filter thread for the Tokina were a match to some filters I happend to have with me, so I went ahead and slapped my UV filter on it.

Later in the day, I decided to take a look in the body itself, gathering information (includeing a manual) from online sources. For the price I got it for (which I actually talked down quite a bit), I really can't complain. The metering was slightly confuseing at first, but quickly figured it out.

So alll that's left is for me to go get some film developed. I went out and shot two rolls yesterday, so now I'm waiting anxiously Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
8 May 2010 11:40PM
Very definitely a bargain! Well done. Smile
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
9 May 2010 2:00AM
Indeed. I used an X-700 for ten years. Marvelous camera - and I'm still using Minolta cameras Smile
9 May 2010 9:32AM
Thanks to both of you.

Now, Spaceman, this is something that perhaps you can anwser for me. Will Sony Alpha lenses fit to my X-700? It's something I've been curious to know as if that's the case, a switch to Sony for digital may seem like a logical choice as I'd be able to swap out the lenses.
AidanT 7 49 United Kingdom
9 May 2010 1:16PM
I bought a Minolta X-300 last month with the same 50mm Minolta prime lens and Minolta dedicated flashgun off ebay for 21!

The best money on equipment I have ever spent, I've scanned in negatives using my Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 and the lens quality is fantastic, at maximimum resolution I'm getting 110mb file sizes. I submit to Alamy and downsizing to in excess of 70mb with very little sharpening gets through their Quality Control no problem.

I'm really enjoying using this peice of kit as I like the manual focusing aids in the viewfinder, the depth of field scale on the lens which is a real help with close focusing with selective depth of field.

I'm quite sure you'll be impressed when you get prints/negatives back

Aidan
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
9 May 2010 1:25PM
I'm afraid that Sony lenses aren't compatible with the X-700. When Minolta started making auto-focus cameras they changed the lens mount and so minolta manual focus lenses (generally called "MD" lenses) can't be used with Minolta auto-focus or Sony cameras.

The good news, however, is that there are loads of Minolta auto-focus film cameras available at bargain prices and they're entirely compatible with Sony lenses. Two worth keeping an eye out for are the 9000 and its successor the 9xi. Both are professional models and are very nice to use.
9 May 2010 9:44PM
Ah.

Alright. Well it was worth looking into. And you're right. I can look into the older Minolta and compatable lenses. I wouldn't mind getting something with a bit of reach to it, so....
peter4076 7 3
5 Jul 2010 3:06PM
X700, nice piece of kit, enjoyed playing with that, but traded in for Dynax 7000i, another good camera, then the 700si, I could go on and on, have been pleased with Minolta, but must admit to being a Canon man, started with A1, T90, EOS 600RT, 10, 10D & 50D, still got them all, even my original Pentax SpII purchased in the 60's with Super Takumar lens and the first TTL metering, I loved that camera for years, and the 42mm thread you could get a host of lens, filters, etc, I used to shoot Ekthachrome & Ilford B+W, oh happy days.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.