Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mirror frozen in the up position

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

nikon
nikon e2 Member 11112 forum postsnikon vcard England
2 Sep 2011 - 7:25 PM

Two days ago put my camera away (canon 40D) and it had been working O.K. Switched it on today to find that the mirror went to a locked up positon. Camera auto focuses, and meters and takes a shot which displays on the rear screen, but the view finder is blank.
Removed all batteries and rested the camera. Re-inserted the batteries and set the required date time etc; but the fault remains. (leaving on holiday this week HELL, Will have to resort to an ancient 10D and a G9 for the trip).
Has anyone come across a simular problem of a mirror frozen in the up position.
Contacted one repair company Euro Hi Tech who quoted 169:99 over the phone for a repair but could not say what was causing the fault. If anyone has any recommendations for repair companies in the London and South East I would appreciate.

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Sep 2011 - 7:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

v8dunc
v8dunc  7333 forum posts Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2011 - 7:29 PM

have you checked to make sure it is not in live view mode

Duncan

nikon
2 Sep 2011 - 7:31 PM

Tried everything Duncan. Set camera back to factory settings and re-programmed from start up. As soon as a battery is inserted the mirror goes to lock up.

Last Modified By nikon at 2 Sep 2011 - 7:32 PM
User_Removed
2 Sep 2011 - 7:34 PM

Quote: Set camera back to factory settings and re-programmed from start up.

How long did you rest the body with no power?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Sep 2011 - 7:35 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56457 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2011 - 7:35 PM

Have you removed both batteries?

nikon
2 Sep 2011 - 7:38 PM

Both batteries removed and camera rested for 30 mins.

User_Removed
2 Sep 2011 - 7:41 PM

Quote: Both batteries removed and camera rested for 30 mins.

This is NOT boding well.

Obvious question time - have you 'Googled' for a similar situation? (I mean looking for possible fixes should this be a 'known' situation - apologies Smile)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Sep 2011 - 7:45 PM
nikon
2 Sep 2011 - 7:44 PM

I have tried Google but no mention of a simular problem. All refer to mirror lock up being engaged (it is not) or live view active , again not engaged.

User_Removed
2 Sep 2011 - 7:46 PM

Fishing here -

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=520511

More to come

EDIT:

This is closer... http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/81251-canon-eos-40d-remote-shooting-m...

And yet more... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/212726-canon-40d-mirror-problem...

Let us know.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Sep 2011 - 7:49 PM
nikon
2 Sep 2011 - 7:57 PM

Good information Mike but does not solve the problem. If I alter any setting, (f /stop or shutter speed, the mirror swings down and immediately returns to the up position,very strange). Have to remove the main battery for the mirror to return to the rest position.

Last Modified By nikon at 2 Sep 2011 - 8:01 PM
nikon
2 Sep 2011 - 8:17 PM

Mike It would appear from your links that the problem of a mirror sticking in the up position is an inherant fault to a number of the 40D models. Looks like a trip to a repair shop, but thanks for your input.

User_Removed
2 Sep 2011 - 8:55 PM

I'm sorry to read this David...

I appreciate the timelines etc here (That 10D will be brilliant - trust me! Wink) but I would suggest a call to Canon when you get back.

(Demonstrably) you are not alone and I suspect that they are aware of 'an issue' with this.

It won't hurt to let them know that you too (Wink) are 'very disappointed' and that you look forward to Canon 'rectifying the problem at their cost'.

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Sep 2011 - 8:56 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014800 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2011 - 9:08 PM

Is there a reset button on the camera?

nikon
2 Sep 2011 - 10:23 PM

Thanks Mike, I will be contacting Canon as the fault as you say appears to be a known issue. My camera is I know out of guarantee, but it has had relatively very light use. The number of people recording a simular issue would suggest that Canon should have considered a re-call on this model.

nikon
2 Sep 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hi Denny,
There is no re-set button as such, but the Camera can be returned to factory settings. Removal of all batteries and resting the camera in a power down mode can be used to clear some minor faults, but not this particular one. The problem lays with what is now known (following considerable research) to be an inherant fault with this model (mirror sticking in the up position and thus blanking out the viewfinder)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.