Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Mirror locked up - please advise

moiral e2
4 12 Scotland
4 Jul 2013 7:18PM
I was going to remove a piece of dirt from inside of my 7D. Just a spot so unfortunately I did switch to manual sensor cleaning. The 25 second setting ended before I did and the camera closed on the cleaning tool I was using. The mirror now seems to be locked up and is exposing the shutter curtains. Is there any way to free this myself????

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
4 Jul 2013 8:03PM
Remove the battery, refit, switch on and press the shutter - should reset it...
moiral e2
4 12 Scotland
4 Jul 2013 8:28PM
done that but not working. Hve now discovered that one of the wee ribbons of the shutter is out at one side, guess will have to take it to be sorted professionally. Probably an expensive mistake Sad. Thanks anyway.
duratorque 11 413 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2013 8:49PM
I've used the manual sensor cleaning mode many times before, it does not end until you switch off the power, not after 25s. Are you sure you were using this mode?

Regardless, I think you need send the camera to a repair shop. I think it needs a new shutter assembly. I've read in a few places the cost is in the region of 150 to 200 depending on camera.

Good luck.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.