Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

Mirrorless camera sales overtake DSLRs - shock, horror! ;-)

Paul Morgan Plus
13 16.2k 6 England
29 Aug 2014 4:26PM
Try the Sigma 60mm.

I`ve just added one to my kit, I wanted something a little longer than the 45mm that would give better background separation with outdoor portraits, so far I`m finding it to be a superb addition.

And its tiny, more or less the same length as the 45mm.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

29 Aug 2014 5:54PM

Quote:If you don't mind fisheye lenses the Oly 9mm bodycaplens is good fun for 80. And very compact

I got mine for free when I purchased the Oly EM10

It's a fun little lens. These were taken with it. Looks like it shrunk the Gherkin though.

13816470035-3355d826ee-o.jpg

14521509122-7ec2ac6ab5-o.jpg

Chris_L Plus
1 1.6k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2014 3:41AM
I did have a look at those body-cap ones. I'm not sure I'd get the use out of it.

Apart from shooting interiors I already struggle to use wide angle effectively. As soon as I look through the viewfinder it feels like I'm looking the wrong way down some binoculars. All subject matter seems to disappear or become insignificant.

Of course when the pictures are viewed on the big screen it's different. There are some amazing landscape, people and city pictures taken on wide and ultra wide lenses and that's what I struggle to pre-visualise.

I'm not so bad indoors but have been caught out when something has been in shot that shouldn't have and I failed to spot in when shooting. I nearly ordered a 7-14 but I need to sell some Canon stuff first.
Paul Morgan Plus
13 16.2k 6 England
30 Aug 2014 10:59PM
The 9-18mm is another useful zoom, its something I would use a lot if I had one, for me it would be the perfect walk about lens being an 18-36mm equ.
Canonshots Plus
4 109 13 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2015 11:27AM
Regrettably, I think the DSLR has a limited future. In time the moving mirror, a relatively crude mechanical decice that has changed very little since the heyday of the Kine Exakta, will be seen as an anachronism in an electronic age. But before that can happen, EVFs will have to improve a lot. That may take time. Meanwhile, I still love my 7D.
paulbroad Plus
7 104 892 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2015 12:32PM
It will, and always has depend on what you want the camera for. How you intend to use the images. As part of my job and degree I had to train for industrial photography. For maximum quality on set pieces and technical shooting we used MPP and Sinar 5*4. For high quality general shooting we used Rolleiflex or Hasselblad and for snap shooting, events and slide shows, Pentax SLR.

The same basic argument will always apply. Big is best. Hence the horrendously expensive medium format DSLR.

It will be a long time before I ditch my DSLR's. The range of lenses is the key.

I have a CSC, a Fuji XE1. It is a great camera to carry for a walk or day out. Great for holiday pictures, and the images are as good as my DSLR for quality on standard subjects, whatever they are.

I shoot a lot of macro and motor racing these days. For these, the CSC is slow and cumbersome. Out comes the DSLR. But then, I wouldn't shoot sports with an MPP but some did!

You use what does the job best. Modern phone cameras look set to replace the basic compact, but I think the DSLR principle has a way to go yet.

Paul
mikehit Plus
5 7.3k 11 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2015 4:21PM

Quote:But before that can happen, EVFs will have to improve a lot. That may take time. Meanwhile, I still love my 7D.

Why? Have you used an EVF recently?
With the image quality of the latest EVF I would say that the optical VF is already virtually redundant and it is now a matter of preference rather than superiority. In fact, when going back to my DSLR I miss having the shooting informatoin (and even a histogram!) in the VF. I look on the VF as a compositional tool and the OVF has no real advantages over EVF - and being able to see the image in 'real time' when you change exposure settings is a great advantage of the EVF.
Paul Morgan Plus
13 16.2k 6 England
4 Jan 2015 6:06PM
Optical viewfinders are a relic of the film era, it always seemed a little odd to me shooting digital but shooting blind.
Sooty_1 Plus
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2015 11:56PM
I use an EVF on both Panasonic and Fuji, but an I find optical viewfinder is still better. Yes, the contained info is better if you can tailor it to show what you want, but (apart from the slight time lag, graininess and jerky movement) there is still something intangibly better about a "real live" image.

I don't see it as a relic, or an anachronism, but as a choice, in the same way some prefer a viewfinder to a TTL finder, or perhaps a viewfinder to a rear screen.

Nick
Chris_L Plus
1 1.6k United Kingdom
5 Jan 2015 3:22PM
I'm a convert and I do think that the mirror will disappear into history.

Modern EVFs are great quality compared to previous generations. I hardly use mine because with the gx7 I'm constantly using the LCD to compose. It's the best LCD on the back of a camera that I've ever seen and it's usable on even quite bright days.

Problems like trees sticking out of people's heads that aren't always apparent when seen in 3D through an optical viewfinder are immediately obvious in 2D (previewed via EVF or rear LCD).

I can get on with EVF, OVF or LCD - each have strengths and weaknesses.

The WYSIWYG aspect of shooting with an accurate live view is amazing. I bet everyone who owns a modern mirrorless has had the moment where they aren't sure if they are looking at the live scene or the photograph they just took.
StrayCat Plus
10 15.6k 2 Canada
5 Jan 2015 8:16PM
I'm on my way back to optical viewfinders after a brief sojourn, actually a little over 21/2 years, into the wonderful world of mirrorless.Grin
StrayCat Plus
10 15.6k 2 Canada
5 Jan 2015 8:44PM

Quote:It will be a long time before I ditch my DSLR's. The range of lenses is the key

You said a mouthful there. However, as you stated earlier, it depends what you want to shoot, what your preferences are. Mine being nature/wildlife, MFT was moving way too slow for me, at my age I want everything now, not months or years down the road. I spent 21/2 years shooting wildlife with the only option available, well, Olympus have the same thing with the same limitations, with only about 80% of the focal length "ok." It's as good as other formats have in the same class, but it loses its appeal fairly quickly, and then what? There's an amazing line-up of lenses available in such a short time, and if one doesn't need reach, it's almost perfect. The new 40-150mm f2.8 wouldn't cut it for me, it's the MFT version of the FX and APS-C 70-200mm f2.8, which is great to a point, and then it falls way short. The 300mm f4, if it ever surfaces, will be a very expensive lens, and lack the flexibility of a zoom in that range, which I need. Using older legacy lenses is a fad, and wears thin quickly; no auto focus, and in many cases poor, or no metering. The four thirds line-up includes some nice glass, but it's slow and unwieldy on the tiny MFT bodies with an adapter. Sony has come up with the answer to AF tracking high speed it seems, but what a terrible line-up of lenses, very disappointing, as is the Nikon 1 line-up.

By the coming summer I hope to have a useful line-up of Nikon lenses for what I do, and they'll be on a tripod, monopod, or resting on something else, and the furthest I'll be carrying them is out to the car and back.
Not sure why this is a concern to photographers. Mirrorless cameras are the way of the future. You can see just one of the many benefits on my Blog/Corkboard with the piece I gently did on shooting 4K Photo Mode with the Lumix LX100. See it for yourself, it's impressive. http://naturalexposures.com/the-lumix-diaries-lx100-colorado-avalanche-and-nate-mackinnon/
163745_1420494782.jpg

Sooty_1 Plus
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
5 Jan 2015 10:33PM

Quote:You can see just one of the many benefits on my Blog/Corkboard with the piece I gently did on shooting 4K Photo Mode with the Lumix LX100. See it for yourself, it's impressive.

Even if you do say so yourself.

Quote:Not sure why this is a concern to photographers. Mirrorless cameras are the way of the future.

Maybe. Maybe not. But choice is still important...that is the concern for me. Use whichever method you wish, but just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works for me. I personally don't like working with stills extracted from video, I like a viewfinder.

Nick
StrayCat Plus
10 15.6k 2 Canada
5 Jan 2015 10:49PM
Not much of a focal range on that point-and-shoot compact.

Might not be 4K, but I have just as impressive video shot with my LG G3 over the holiday. My problem is I can't view it any higher than 1920x1280, like most people. The lens and OIS was made by Panasonic, btw.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.