Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Mirrorless camera sales overtake DSLRs - shock, horror! ;-)

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Apr 2012 12:34AM

Quote:My biggest complaint of small cameras including some mirrorless ones is the lack of a viewfinder! EVF is fine. I've tried several without a viewfinder in bright sunshine an it's a guess as to what you're actually taking!

I seriously considered getting an accessory EVF for my Olympus Pen. However I decided to spend a bit more and get the OM-D with its better sensor and better IS... as well as a built-in EVF.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
20 Apr 2012 11:25AM
I had a Minolta Dimage A2 some while back (in fact I might still have it somewhere, collecting dust), and didn't like the EVF simply because it was hard to see detail owing to the relatively low dot-pitch. It had advantages, though, not the least being that you could angle it through 90 degrees for low-angle work.

I believe some of the better EVFs coming out now are vastly better, and overcome many of the disadvantages of the earlier versions.

Doug
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
20 Apr 2012 11:15PM

Quote:I believe some of the better EVFs coming out now are vastly better

I don't think there's any comparison with earlier EVFs. At one time something like 180k pixels was considered adequate. The Oly OM-D has eight times that number!
21 Apr 2012 2:11PM
One set of statistics in isolation can be misleading.
It may surprise some that Nikon has increased Coolpix sales to 17,000,000 units - 3 times the number of Nikon DSLR's.
Nikon have recovered from the Thailand floods.
http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/pdf/2012/12third_all_e.pdf
Nikon DSLR and lens sales should increase significantly over the next 12 months with 24 MP DX and 36 MP FX.
Mirrorless is clearly significant new competition - but there is no sign yet of Nikon going into decline Wink
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
21 Apr 2012 2:30PM

Quote:I had a Minolta Dimage A2 some while back (in fact I might still have it somewhere, collecting dust), and didn't like the EVF simply because it was hard to see detail owing to the relatively low dot-pitch. It had advantages, though, not the least being that you could angle it through 90 degrees for low-angle work.

I believe some of the better EVFs coming out now are vastly better, and overcome many of the disadvantages of the earlier versions.

Doug

The A2 had a brilliant EVF. It was 1Mp which was unheard of back then - most were 215Kp. I'd guess that you had an A200. KM canned the A2 fairly quickly and brought out a cut down A200 with a nasty low res EVF. If you really had an A2, don't expect the new EVFs to be that much better - the M4/3 are about 1.4Mp and the Sony LED ones are 2Mp. They're both excellent and they are better than the A2 but mainly because they're bigger.

BTW, good nick A2's fetch good money on the s/h market now.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
21 Apr 2012 2:43PM

Quote:Mirrorless is clearly significant new competition - but there is no sign yet of Nikon going into decline

Well Nikon are right in there with their 1-series mirrorless which has sold better than expected, I gather, despite its sensor which is smaller than 4/3.

It is only Canon who are refusing to enter the competition......... so far. Only a matter of time though! Wink
5 Oct 2013 10:55PM
The 23% figure will undoubtedly increase, I still however feel that as long as the percentage - globally, stays under, roughly 35%.
Then Dslr's will continue to be produced, for all the IQ is usually superior with Dslr's, there is a growing reluctance by owners of Dslr's to carry one on all of their photo shoots. Hence the popularity of the Csc market. Genre has a very important role to play in a photographers selection of camera as well, imho. As an example nature, animal, bird,macro enthusiasts will probably opt for a Dslr. My current favourite genre is, Street Photography, and has been for the last few years. My only misgiving with Csc or m 4/3s is the noise of the focal plane shutter - too noisy, especially in street photography situations. Different genres, different gear, pointing a D7000 or similar at someone when doing some street photography at close quarters is intimidating to both subject and photographer.
I use a Lumix G2 and a GF1, usually with a prime lens Lumix 14mm or Nikkor 24mm and 35mm via an adapter these are among other cameras that i own for street photography. Street photography is my favourite subject but not my only subject matter. Off topic I've just bought a Fuji X100 it came complete with sticky aperture blades too, so it's gone back to Fuji for repair. I'm old school, i like my viewfinder, ovf or evf if a camera has a view finder i ignore the Lcd. In conclusion, for all i like the smaller camera format i will at some stage buy a Dslr 1.5 crop. Regards Justwilliam
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
3 Mar 2014 7:48PM
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Mar 2014 10:30PM
Well this is two years on!

The interview with the Olympus CEO is interesting - with apologies for the source! Wink
5 Mar 2014 6:58AM
To the 23% people who bought mirrorless camera, half of them have 1 or more DSLRS.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
5 Mar 2014 11:20AM

Quote:To the 23% people who bought mirrorless camera, half of them have 1 or more DSLRS.

Oh what a surprise that they didn't put the DSLR in the bin, eh? Lol! Grin

What we aren't told is how many layers of dust these DSLRs have got on them since the mirrorless camera was purchased.

I do think Canon and Nikon's half-hearted entries to the mirrorless market have affected what seemed like an unstoppable force a couple of years ago.

Anyway, the sales of ALL types of cameras have fallen, in the face of the smartphone onslaught.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
5 Mar 2014 11:34AM
My mirror less cameras are well dusty. Wink
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
5 Mar 2014 1:34PM
I spent 3 hours trying to find the charger for mine Keith Wink

I'm far from impressed with mine (Oly EP-L1) - maybe down to kit lens but contrast when the sun is anywhere near the lens is very poor, resolution isnt great (even focusing right in on live view - and not going any smaller than F8). Try to change settings takes ages, going through a bank of menus for ISO, or manual. Fine for point and shoot but so frustrating when you want full (or partial) control. Theres also no cable relaease option (an annoyance more than anything)

Then not to mention you look a complete **** if you raise it to your eye, forgetting theres no viewfinder Wink

Its a shame I really wanted one so I could take with me when travelling with work. so much lighter, and can use a gorillapod OK with it.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Mar 2014 4:51PM

Quote:I'm far from impressed with mine (Oly EP-L1)

Mirror-less has come in a lot since the first/second generation.

I got my first CSC to use in place of a compact, they were not quite there at that time to compete with DSLR`s and I continued to use my DSLR.

The later generations from the EP3 started to compete quite well, and then from the EM5/GH3 and onwards to the present they are a fair match, certainly against any of the APS-C bodies, in some cases better.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
5 Mar 2014 8:50PM
Agree. My E-M5 is my favourite of all the cameras I've had. And I agree with you Nick, I had a P-L1, and got rid of it fairly quickly. If you get a chance, try an M5 or M1 with a premium lens attached, or one of the primes, any level.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.