Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Mirrorless Camera Sturdiness and General Weather Resistance

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dadada999
    dadada999  1
    14 Feb 2013 - 12:22 AM

Hi all,

So i plan on using my new mirrorless camera for some landscape photography. My camera doesn't have weather sealing (like the OM-D E-M5 for example) and i haven't bought any protective accessories for it yet such as hoods, filters, screen protector etc. Here in the UK, weather is unsettled more often than not, and for say hiking trips i'm likely to encounter conditions that are windy, cold and damp, even when it's not raining! So will i be able to use my camera in these conditions? I know there are weatherproof cameras but i doubt these will suffice for image quality.

I'm wondering how sturdy mirrorless and dslr cameras are in general. I know for fact that my old compact camera has been able to tolerate virtually anything: blizzards in the Alps, high winds on top of skyscrapers, tropical heat in Southeast Asia etc. But then again, i wasn't looking after it...but it is still fully functional.

Lastly, and this can be an unrelated question, will i need the protective accessories i mentioned? Believe it or not, i have had my camera for a few days and i'm still reluctant to remove the film over the LCD screen...crazy i know! Do people buy and use screen protectors for the LCD?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Feb 2013 - 12:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KNS
    KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2013 - 12:34 AM

My DSLR's are all weather sealed, they are still covered in the rain (using a pair of cutoff waterproof trouser legs) generally speaking it is always a good idea to protect one's investment in expensive kit Smile

no idea as to what is available for your system camera - but spending a little more won't hurt.....

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2013 - 12:53 AM

Mirrorless are just as capable as dslrs and compacts, all can tolerate a little rain.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113103 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2013 - 7:56 AM

Quote: Mirrorless are just as capable as dslrs and compacts, all can tolerate a little rain.

I agree.

Ken

KNS
    14 Feb 2013 - 11:19 AM

Quote: Mirrorless are just as capable as dslrs and compacts, all can tolerate a little rain.

I agree.

Ken

Also agreed LOL

however if you wish to take it out in British summertime it may be worth protecting - anyone remember last year at all?

sparrowhawk
    sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2013 - 11:41 AM

can you clarify something for me whayt is summertime i know had one once but can't quite recall when it was

KNS
    14 Feb 2013 - 12:47 PM

LOL yes, hard to remember....

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7768 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2013 - 4:58 PM

Any interchangeable lens camera is going to be more vulnerable to water ingress via the lens mount than a camera that is more of a fully sealed unit. Cameras offered with a degree of weather sealing will have some form of insulation on the mount and/or the lens itself. These are usually further up the range of a manufacturer's models.

It should go without saying you should be especially careful when switching lenses in adverse weather conditions.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 14 Feb 2013 - 4:58 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315182 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2013 - 6:35 PM

Quote: Cameras offered with a degree of weather sealing will have some form of insulation on the mount and/or the lens itself. These are usually further up the range of a manufacturer's models

This is dependant on the lens attached, not all lenses are weather sealed.

I was out in a snow blizzard with my weather sealed E3, with a loose fitting lensbaby attached, the camera still survived.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.